Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rise Against Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Jul 16, 2016.

1. tomtom94

Trusted

I hope there's still anger in them, and I definitely think Eco-Terrorist shows it, but I felt like Black Market was the band trying to force themselves into anger they didn't have at times. I mentioned this in my (now dead, because it was hosted on the old AP) review of Black Market, but Tim only screams on two BM songs, and one of them feels much more natural than the other.

Best way of describing it is I think BM started life as a more reflective, self-titled album (e.g. I Don't Want To Be Here Anymore, Tragedy + Time, A Beautiful Indifference). The more "topical" songs like Great Die-Off and Black Market feel very unnatural by comparison, which is why I found it really strange they decided to make that the title of the album - particularly after the teasers suggested they were going for a self-titled record.

So who knows. I'm still hoping we get a proper American Idiot-style concept album one day - I feel if anyone could pull that off it would be Tim.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU

Thats gotta be one of the catchiest choruses I've ever heard

3. tomtom94

Trusted

Well, they're not going on hiatus any time soon, then. Tour coming soon?

4. Zev Jameson Loika

Life's a garden, dig it.

Hey all, I just started up in the forums section here and the first thing I did was search up Rise Against. We gotta try and keep this there alive and well (get it?) because I haven't had anyone to talk to about RA in far too long and you all seem to love them as much as I do.

5. Davjs

Trusted

They are a top 10 band for me, and maybe always will be just because of their first 4 albums are so relistenable to me. I Just wish End Game didn't exist in their catalog.

6. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

The events of the Trump presidency should give them plenty of good material to write about lol

7. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I doubt I'll ever enjoy another album by them, but I still give any new record they put out a chance

8. Zev Jameson Loika

Life's a garden, dig it.

End Game is easily my least favorite album by them, it definitely has its gems but I don't listen to it as much as I do their other stuff.

9. Davjs

Trusted

Satellite is a top 10 song for me, but overall that album was such a miss in what I'd consider a perfect discography up until that point. Their latest won me back over though and has a lot of good tracks. I get that Tim probably doesn't want to scream anymore, but I hope for a lot more faster paced music.

10. Zev Jameson Loika

Life's a garden, dig it.

I agree, The Black Market was a step in the right direction in my opinion. The Eco Terrorist in me is crazy good and I'd like to give a shout out to Zero Visibility. Such a unique song for them and I love it.

Petit nain des Îles and Davjs like this.
  11. Davjs

Trusted

The Great Die Off is also such a good opener. That leading into I Don't Want To Be Here Anymore is a great way to start that album off.

12. Zev Jameson Loika

Life's a garden, dig it.

with any luck, 2017 might be the year they release a new album. They seem more active on all social medias lately.

Davjs likes this.
  13. Davjs

Trusted

That would be awesome. A lot of my favorite bands released music in 2016 so I don't have a ton to look forward to.

14. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I really enjoyed The Black Market aside from two or three songs, but I understand how it can feel forced. I thought it was their strongest release since Sufferer. Appeal to Reason was a decent alt record and they did well with it, but nothing will ever come close to RPM and SSOTCC.

I feel the last decade of their career has lacked the urgency they first had. Plus, ive never really been the biggest fan of Zach Blair in the band. I really miss Chris Chasse.

15. Zev Jameson Loika

Life's a garden, dig it.

I actually really like Appeal to Reason. Its hard for me to rank their albums from worst to best but Sufferer has to be my all time favorite closely followed by SSOTCC

16. Davjs

Trusted

It's hard to argue because the albums with Chris were better, but man Zack is so much better live and has the energy! The other guitarist were always stationary live. Appeal to Reason was still fantastic IMO though, Reeducation, Where Abouts Unknown, Savoir and Collapse are some of their best songs.

17. Davjs

Trusted

I don't think anyone would disagree that Suffer and Counter Song aren't their top 2. I think after that it gets muddled, but I'd put Reason and then Revolutions, followed by Black Market and a single of Satellite :-)

KidLightning likes this.
  18. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

My ranking:
    1) Sufferer (#3 on my overall favorite albums)
    2) Siren Song
    3) Appeal to Reason
    4) The Black Market
    5) RPM
    6) Endgame
    7) The Unraveling

19. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Revolutions Per Minute
    Siren Song
    The Unraveling
    Sufferer
    Appeal To Reason
    Endgame
    Black Market

20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I agree that Zack has brought a ton of energy onstage and is fun to watch. Last time I saw them live though, he was too energetic to a point he butchered the songs when Tim didn't play guitar too. He's a energetic dude though. Helps keep them young haha.

21. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Siren Song
    RPM
    Sufferer
    Unraveling
    BM
    Appeal
    Endgame

Bonus: Their cover of Little Boxes is practically the greatest thing ever.

Petit nain des Îles and Davjs like this.
  22. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I also really wish Tim would release some acoustic stuff. The stuff he played on the solo tour was amazing. Those videos are fantastic and his cover of Fiona....oh man

23. Zev Jameson Loika

Life's a garden, dig it.

Honestly, I'd go

Sufferer
    Siren Song
    Appeal to Reason
    RPM
    The Black Market
    The Unraveling
    Endgame

Although my all time favorite RA song is probably Black Masks and Gasoline

24. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Siren
    Sufferer
    RPM

everything else

electro haikus likes this.
  25. Davjs

Trusted

I loved when they had a different artist do a cover of it every ep. Rise Against's was such a surprise I didn't know as coming and love they went heavy lol.

Even his acoustic cover of I Don't Want to Be Here Anymore was great when I didn't think it could work.

My ranking is the same, and yeah that song is great. I'm happy they bust that and Blood Red White and Blue every now and then.