Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rise Against Band • Page 21

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Jul 16, 2016.

1. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Siren Song
    Sufferer
    Revolutions Per Minute
    Appeal to Reason
    The Unraveling
    Wolves
    Endgame
    The Black Market

2. Supernova Sep 4, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 4, 2019)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Siren Song of the Counter Culture (My first exposure, and still holds up - for me)
    Revolutions Per Minute (got into this late, after Appeal came out, but it nailed it for me)
    Appeal To Reason
    Sufferer (probably can flip flop with Appeal)
    Wolves (I really like this one)
    Endgame (its fine)
    The Black Market (only listened maybe twice)
    The Unraveling (only ever listened to a couple tracks)

3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Siren (one of the best albums from that era)
    Sufferer
    Wolves
    Appeal
    Endgame
    RPM
    Black Market
    Unraveling

4. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Glad to see so many others rate Siren Song as their best. Sufferer is not far behind and RPM is not far behind those two. One of the finest three-album runs in punk history.
    It's definitely interesting that Tim thinks Endgame is the band's best since that was the first time the band came across as formulaic to me, and that's how I've felt about all of their subsequent albums (except the B sides album and Ghost Note Symphonies). What I wouldn't give for an album with a 1.20 hardcore banger, or a 7-minute deep exploration of a political issue, or anything else to break the monotony.
    I liked Wolves but it's just not as much fun to listen to song after song knowing exactly when the chorus will hit, and then after the second chorus will be the bridge, and then back to chorus to close the song. Since Appeal to Reason (inclusive), Rise Against's shortest song has been 3.03 and their longest 4.38. That is from 48 songs.

5. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Just saw Tim’s rankings. I think it’s BS lol. I mean, I get where he’s coming from...he wrote the stuff. But damn is that ranking all over the place coming from a fan’s perspective.

Siren Song
    RPM
    Sufferer
    Wolves
    Appeal (really grew on me over the years)
    Unraveling
    Black Market
    Endgame

I am impressed with how many great songs this band has in their catalog too. It’s awesome to see that each album has essentials.

JamesMichael likes this.
  6. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I re-listened to The Black Market a few times today for the first time in a while and damn I still think it rips.

The Great Die-Off, Tragedy + Time, The Black Market, The Eco-Terrorist in Me, Methadone, People Live Here are all solid songs in my opinion.

sonder and danielm123 like this.
  7. tomtom94

Trusted

The good stuff on TBM is really really good. I just find the bad stuff to be super blah.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  8. monrovian

always want to hear more TBM songs live but don't think that's going to be happening :-/

9. JamesMichael

Shame really as their is some solid song on there.

10. Cmoney86

Trusted

I’m sure their riot fest set will be all the hits

Hopefully we get lucky and they play a new song cuz I know they are recording either already or going to later so... there’s def gonna be a new album next year. Zack basically confirmed that to me back in April at the acoustic tour stop in Chicago

11. JamesMichael

I don’t think I’ll ever not be stoked about a new Rise Against album! Any ideas who they’re recording with?

12. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I hope they work with Bill again on the next album. I love Wolves, but Bill basically became a member of the band over the years.

JamesMichael likes this.
  13. Cmoney86

Trusted

Tim did a interview with Lauren from 101wkqx and confirmed this

Bill Stevenson is doing the new rise against record and will be recorded in Fort Collins Colorado

14. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Hell yes. Super excited about this.

15. Cmoney86

Trusted

16. tomtom94 Sep 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 16, 2019)
    tomtom94

Trusted

I hope they look at what went wrong on Black Market and what went right on Wolves.

Bill is pretty much my favourite producer going - and let's be real, this band is largely responsible for him being a "mainstream" producer these days - but I think the band got a bit too comfortable with him and vice versa.

That said, I think they literally described him as the fifth member of the band in an interview leading up to one of the albums (Endgame maybe?) and they basically said the only reason they did Wolves with Nick was because Bill was busy with Descendants.

17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Hopefully them working with someone new on wolves showed them what Bill REALLY did with and for them. I like Wolves a lot, but part of of me will always wonder what it would’ve been like with Bill’s influence.

18. JamesMichael

Same. What kills it for me is the production choices on Wolves. Some songs sound fine but little things bothered me. One that stood out was the echo in Tims voice when the backing harmonies come in (not sure if it's just me that noticed/disliked this) but Far From Perfect comes to mind when I think back.

19. DesolateEarth

Birb

I'd say this is where I stand too

beachdude and irthesteve like this.
  20. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Damn I actually agree with you on a ranking

irthesteve likes this.
  21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Best day ever

beachdude likes this.
  22. tomtom94

Trusted

Edit: I can't tell if it's appearing but, presumably to tie in with the climate strikes, a Black Market B-side and a spoken word piece previously RSD exclusive have gone live digitally.

sonder and JamesMichael like this.
  23. JamesMichael

Dope! About Damn Time is awesome and I’m glad it’s finally on streaming.

24. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Been listening to Appeal To Reason a lot recently. It’s grown on me a shit ton over the years and seems to be their most timeless record.

also, I’m still into Wolves a lot, but the production is not on par with their previous releases. There’s something about it that irks me now.

pbueddi likes this.
  25. JamesMichael

Pretty much my issue with Wolves unfortunately. I still spin some of the songs from that project though.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.