Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rise Against Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Jul 16, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Probably record and release an album next year

2. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

That is what I assumed is going on. Didn't know if they had released an official statement on what their plan is going forward. Really just need them to announce a winter tour that comes through Grand Rapids.

3. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Listened to The Sufferer and the Witness yesterday for the first time in way too long. It amazes me how great of an album it is and how every song still hits me the same way it did when I first heard it 10 years ago. It's THE record that comes to mind when I think back to my music tastes in high school. It had two of their biggest hits plus Injection, Behind Closed Doors, and Survive are all fantastic.

Petit nain des Îles and Davjs like this.
  4. Davjs

Trusted

Yes, Sufferer is soooo fantastic. Worth Dying For and Chamber are my favorites, but not a skippable track on there.

5. tomtom94

Trusted

I'm a bit saddened they didn't do a 10th anniversary tour for Sufferer. I would kill to hear Under the Knife live. But I think they've very much needed a break. (I honestly think they could do with a short hiatus, Yellowcard-style, to regroup)

JBoch likes this.
  6. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Siren Song remains one of my all time favourite albums, and Sufferer and RPM are not far behind. One of the best three album runs ever imo.
    Since then I haven't loved their stuff as much, I think Endgame is the best of their past three records. Architects and the title track are great.
    Black Market was a real letdown for me unfortunately.

7. Davjs

Trusted

I saw them tour right as Appeal came out and they played most of Sufferer. Under the Knife was part of the encore which was a surprise for me.

For me Endgame is hands down their worst, Satellite and Architects are the saving grace on that album. You didn't like Appeal? Whereabouts Unknown might be one of their best and underrated songs.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  8. tomtom94

Trusted

Unraveling = Black Market < Siren Song < Appeal < Endgame < Revolutions = Sufferer

9. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I think Architects is one of their best songs but Endgame, as a whole, doesn't do much for me. The Black Market doesn't have one song I go back to and it makes me sad because I really enjoy the rest of their catalog.

Saw them live for the first time last year. They put on an awesome show but the crowd kind of ruined the whole experience for me.

10. Davjs

Trusted

To me the Black Market was a step up from Endgame, but still not on par with the previous works. The Great Die-Off, I Don't Want to Be Here Anymore, Awake Too Long and Time + Tragedy are worth going back to IMO.

11. Davjs

Trusted

This may be one of the hardest, but top 5 songs for me would be in no order:
    -Whereabouts Unknown
    -Worth Dying For
    -Chamber the Cartridge
    -Drones
    -Life Less Freighting

12. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Do not like Whereabouts Unknown I'm afraid. Savior, The Dirt Whispered, and the opener are my favs from ATR. I just remember it feeling like such a letdown at the time after three of my top albums ever.
    Endgame never gets as good as ATR but I never gets as bad either. So those two are a bit of a toss-up for me. Black Market did very little for me outside of Eco Terrorist.
    Edit: Also Time+Tragedy was good.

Davjs likes this.
  13. Davjs

Trusted

......do you still not like it even if there is an awesome fan made video for it? :-)

14. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Got into this band when RPM was out and loved that album. One of the better punk records from the early aughts imo. RPM and Strike Anywhere's Exit English were huge for me in 2003. The Unraveling is really good too. Love Siren Song as well. Sufferer is a good record record that I need to listen to more. Only really know the Dirt Whispered from the last three.

All of the above said, I will always support what this band does. They have always stayed steadfast in their punk roots/beliefs despite their success and popularity.

15. pbueddi

Trusted

savior is such an awesome song.

Davjs likes this.
  16. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Spinning their entire discography today, in honor of Election Day. Seems appropriate.

beachdude42 likes this.
  17. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I've had the opening drumline for "Chamber the Cartridge" stuck in my head for days.

18. tomtom94

Trusted

Rise Against's discography is actually like a journey. It's obvious (because they're such a personal band lyrically) how they've gotten less angry (they'd never write something like To The Core today), but that doesn't mean they become worse, just that Tim's stance changes as he becomes more reflective. Compare "Alive and Well" to "Survive" and "Endgame". And "Awake Too Long".

...Fuck, now I actually want to try this and see.

19. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Another band thats been bringing me comfort these past couple days. As someone thats actually met Tim, its comforting to know that this band is very sincere and very supportive of PoC/LGBTQ+/women. It makes their catalog incredibly fresh and important to me, despite how many view them as getting stale.

20. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

They're a great band with messages they truly believe. I can't help but feel they absolutely nailed their sound with the RPM/Siren Song/Sufferer trilogy. A pop-punk direction would have been the logical next step given a) they blew up huge and b) songs like Savior and The Dirt Whispered prove they had a great pop punk record in them. But they never fully committed, leaving us instead with three albums of varying quality in no-man's land between the various styles at which they excel.
    Given that pop punk album is a lost cause by now, I hope Trump can ignite the rage and bring back the blisteringly fast melodic hardcore of their earlier days.

21. Davjs

Trusted

To get an album full of State of the Unions, Bricks and Drones would be amazing.

22. josephcissell

Regular

I can only imagine that the current political climate ought to be enough fuel for these guys to write the album of their career practically. When I think of music with a message, Rise Against is one of the first artists that pops into my mind. They’re excellent at working within that narrative framework.

23. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

And they could still pull it off if Eco-Terrorist is any indication.

JBoch likes this.
  24. Davjs

Trusted

I feel like the verses of that song show it, but then it tricks you because the chorus isn't very strong IMO. Nice example though, I do agree they still have it in them.

25. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Yep if that song's chorus was written in the mid-2000s it would have soared.