Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rise Against - Wolves (June 9th, 2017) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SmithBerryCrunch, Apr 18, 2017.

1. dotKev

@dotkevin

RPM > Unraveling > Siren Song > Sufferer > Appeal to Reason > Wolves (early ranking) > Endgame = Black Market

With all of that being said, I really love Wolves as an album.

2. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Siren Song and Sufferer are all time favorites of mine. Really like Appeal to Reason too. After a handful of listens, I'd rank Wolves close to Appeal or slightly below. Excited to see how this one holds up over time.

3. pbueddi

Trusted

Politics of Love is a standout for me so far.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  4. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

this record is great!

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  5. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

CAUSE THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!

Currently jamming to this album on a road trip up to Northern California. The GF is liking what she's hearing.

KidLightning likes this.
  6. Enjoying. Not sure if I'm loving. But I am enjoying my first listen.

7. My ranking prior to this album was :

Siren Song
    Sufferer
    Revolutions Per Minute
    Appeal To Reason
    The Black Market
    The Unraveling (not a bad album in any way, I just don't care for most of the songs on it)
    Endgame (this one's bad tho)

Wolves would probably sit right between RPM and Appeal To Reason. Depends on what I think of the latter 8 years later, because I haven't listened to it in a long time.

KidLightning likes this.
  8. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Looking forward to blasting this a ton in the car this summer.

9. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

This is their best since Appeal

10. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Siren Song
    RPM
    Sufferer
    Wolves
    Unraveling
    Black Market
    Appeal To Reason
    Endgame

11. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Boy is this good. Definitely their best since Sufferer.

12. I can't get over Miracle, it's such a ridiculously good closer, and that heavy riff with the boombastic snare drum is soooooo catchy

13. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

"Politics of Love" is a great track. Haven't heard the bonus tracks yet, but I'm working my way there.

14. josh-

So, why would they pick "The violence" as the lead single? It's the only mundane song on the album.

JM95 and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  15. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Definitely their best since Appeal to Reason, and there is nothing on here I outright dislike. It's biggest offense is some laziness. I'll take that over them trying to be a metal band.

Mourning in Amerika is easily my favorite. I enjoy Miracle. Far From Perfect is a great pop song: but that's all it is. There is nothing there lyrically that separates it from half a dozen future Katy Perry singles. That's okay, I'm far from too good for a solid pop tune, it's just not what I am looking for from this particular band.

Overall, it's a return to form. I just really was expecting something a little more pointed and agressive given the state of the country. If we're not gonna get that now I think it's safe to say it's just not going to happen.

SteveLikesMusic and Joe4th like this.
  16. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I remember hearing Tim talk about the label basically being the factor in that. I guess they also gave them crap about titling a song Bullshit too or something like that.

17. josh-

That's what I thought would be the case. Stupid marketing though. It's an extremely safe track and that's no way to get people excited about an album, even if it is "radio friendly". That line is becoming so blurred, but the these major labels are too beaucratic to keep up with the change.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  18. tomtom94

Trusted

Feel like the marketing was suggesting Wolves would be the initial released track and that was vetoed at the last minute (similar to how I and many others were expecting Black Market to be a self-titled album based on the first teaser). Bad move since Wolves is the best opener they've done since Collapse and would have been a perfect tone-setter.

19. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Disagree with the opinion from earlier that Megaphone should've been the opener instead of Wolves. Wolves is one of my favorites and I think it does a great job of setting the tone.

Definitely think that Megaphone should've been on the album proper though. Swap it with The Violence.

20. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I feel like Miracles is kind of underwhelming.

21. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

This is going to be a great punk rock summer between this, The Menzingers, The Flatliners, and (hopefully) Captain, We're Sinking.

22. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

that CWS album grows on me more and more hopefully my review for it will be up on Sputnik soon.

as to this, pretty easily my favorite album of theirs since Appeal. I'll go to bat for Endgame till I die even if its not one of my favorites its still enjoyable and TBM didnt really resonate with me all that much as much as I wanted it to but its still a fine enough album.

But this is very prescient and very much a slice of comfort food amongst the current political climate. The back half is stronger than the front but its all just good politically charged rock music. The bonus tracks are very quality as well and I'm surprised this album isnt just 13 tracks like Sufferer and Appeal were.

23. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

This is honestly my favorite album of theirs since Sufferer and might be my third favorite overall after Sufferer and Siren Song. Need more time with it, but I really like it a lot as of now.

24. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

i think im right there with you. probably comes in around 3rd or so.

fuck it idk if ive ever ranked RA on this site but ive been a longtime fan so here goes

Siren
    Sufferer
    Endgame/Wolves (could go either way at this point)
    Appeal
    RPM
    Market
    Unraveling

Unraveling is the only one I legit dont like at all

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  25. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I'm Team Breakdown for "Miracle"