Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rise Against - Nowhere Generation (June 4, 2021) Album • Page 9

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Mar 18, 2021.

1. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I think the title track works far better in context of the record - it gets better with every listen.

The middle section is absolute fire.

pbueddi likes this.
  2. RazorCrusade Jun 7, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2021)
    RazorCrusade

We make our own luck and we live with every defeat Supporter

As someone who is similarly shocked at how much I like this record given how mediocre I feel they've been for awhile, I think this is what I've narrowed it down to. The past few records have been so weirdly formulaic and did exactly this: fast verse -> slow bridge -> slow/mid chorus -> fast verse -> chorus -> GET READY FOR THE BRIDGE THAT ONLY HAS VOCALS -> chorus again

I think with the new album, they just...... didn't write a lot of slow parts (and also ditched a lot of verse->chorus bridges). And it makes it feel so much like their Fat-era records. I'm really digging this.

Edit: Okay I said Fat era but it's been so long I forgot Siren and Sufferer were not on Fat lol. My brain is slowly remembering all the "sell out" discussion around the band. What a time to be alive.

Crisp X likes this.
  3. Yeah that's pretty much my feelings about the direction they took from Appeal To Reason onwards. I'm glad they came back with something much less formulaic, even if it doesn't reinvent the wheel. That alone is refreshing for them.

RazorCrusade likes this.
  4. Cmoney86

Trusted

So a bunch of the records now have Dolby Atmos and lossless on Apple Music

5. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

The production on this is another big reason why it's a step up from their recent records. I love the way they layer Tim's vocals to give it more punch. Maybe it's something they've done on previous records, but it really stands out this time. Best that Tim's sounded since Appeal/Endgame.

6. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

No idea what Dolby Atmos and lossless is.

pbueddi likes this.
  7. Cmoney86

Trusted

High
    Hi fidelity audio. The atmos version of savior sounds fucking amazing

8. Cmoney86

Trusted

9. MrSark

On doit jouer à domicile comme à la maison.

Finally got my Pre-Order today. Thanks to the fantastic service of FedEx Europe...

Have to say, aside from being a much better album than the last two, the packaging too has been improved vastly. Love the cover with the spinning disc to change what the TVs display and having an actuall lyric booklet. Albeit a tough to read one, white font on silver/blue background ain't ideal, but nicely laid out anyway.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  10. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Yeah the lyric book is legit!

11. Cmoney86

Trusted

this is live right now but they played a ghost notes verison of talking to ourselves and it sounded amazing.

listening party link they are about to do

pbueddi and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  12. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Damn, Talking To Ourselves sounded so good there.

JBoch likes this.
  13. Cmoney86

Trusted

In the us this debuted at number 39 on the top 200 and number 4 on rock. In comparison wolves debuted at number 9 on the top 200 and number one on the alternative, rock, and hard rock Charts

MrSark likes this.
  14. MrSark

On doit jouer à domicile comme à la maison.

They debuted at Number 2 in Germany .Only beaten by a comeback album of some Girlband from the early 2000s.
    Was their 6th straight Top 10 album over there, Wolves peaked at 9, Endgame and The Black Market even made it to Number 1.

Kinda cool to see that, given that Germany is the biggest music market in Europe and usually dominated by German "rappers".

15. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Those charts are depressing.

At the same time, they’re playing places plenty big enough on their tour to make me think they’re going to make money.

beachdude and JamesMichael like this.
  16. pbueddi

Trusted

I wonder if it would have been better if they would have released it earlier. I know they probably wanted to wait until the pandemic was over, but it might have been better to get it out sooner. Who knows though.

17. Cmoney86

Trusted

01BF6F0C-C40C-4F6F-BED1-42C78C67923A.png D84BAB47-E182-4CF7-95A0-158BE2D45266.png

18. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

They're fine. They're still a staple of rock radio and have strong touring.

beachdude and pbueddi like this.
  19. tomtom94

Trusted

I mean I'm not massively surprised. Their last big radio hit was an increasingly long time ago now.

20. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

All good points. I think the thing about becoming an adult (and one thing that the Z folks really get even more than millennials) is that being paid for your art isn’t selling out if you don’t change who you are to do it.

I was such a dickhead about who sold out and who didn’t when I was a kid. Most kids are. And I still cringe when I see bands take big swings for the radio that don’t fit their style - but I don’t begrudge them. I’m in my mid 30’s with a mortgage and wife and kids and a new job and I would sell most anything I had to keep stability for those I love.

These guys are able to do that without really changing their sound and never changing their message. That should be a huge point of pride. And if they still sell tickets to the lifers like us or the folks who remember they loved “Savior” 13 years ago, then god bless and cash the check.

beachdude, mmhmm and pbueddi like this.
  21. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Really liking this album so far after a couple of listens, but remaining cautious. I always really like their new albums and then just never go back to them (all since ATR fall into this category). Makes me glad I don't review albums because I'd just have this whole archive of 9/10 reviews for Rise Against records I would in hindsight give, like, a 6/10. I really hope this one has staying power for me.
    I think it passes the first test for what I want from Rise Against, which is capital-E Energy.

JBoch and beachdude like this.
  22. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

Seems like a Volume 2 for Ghost Notes is in the works...

23. BlackwingE

Trusted

Sudden Urge is such a great song. It has become my favorite from the album

sonder, Crisp X, beachdude and 3 others like this.
  24. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Not sure if it could be, but I feel like I want it to be a big rock radio single.

BlackwingE likes this.
  25. pbueddi

Trusted

I feel like maybe Sooner or Later could do well on radio.

JBoch likes this.