Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rise Against - Nowhere Generation (June 4, 2021) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Mar 18, 2021.

1. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

The new Rise Against album is better than the single. But it still lacks a bite, an edge, and while the lyrics pack a bit of punch, the music never really feels like it gets to the same level. It’s a perfectly fine rock album, but I keep waiting for it to pick up, for it to elevate, and it instead walks the more of the same road. That said, more of the same from Rise Against is still pretty damn good because they’re a good band with a good message, and they know how to write catchy rock songs. Besides the one on this record that sounds like a Staind song, this should please fans of the band. If you liked the last couple, you’ll like this one. I suppose I just keep hoping for a little more Siren Song kick.

Quote from Jason about the new album incase anyone missed it.

2. pbueddi

Trusted

So overall a decent impression?

3. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Blah.

4. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Chris Chasse, where are you?! We need you to be a member of Rise Against again! ATLEAST be a writer/studio member if you still don’t like all the touring!

But really, a triple headed guitar monster with Tim, Zach, and Chris would be amazing.

Tim and Joe with more support? Zach’s energy mixed with Chris’ ability to make songs sore? Damn.

JamesMichael likes this.
  5. Cmoney86

Trusted

pbueddi likes this.
  6. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Surely they'll record other songs too? Especially if theres some kinda production involved?

7. Cmoney86

Trusted

My guess is yes. They did both savior and nowhere generation acoustic for 101wkqx from the same set. Only time will tell for sure tho

beachdude and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  8. Cmoney86

Trusted

Looks like some of the nowhere generation merch might already be shipping. Got this yesterday
    12320C46-E27D-4CCC-B30C-1C7A4E06EF58.jpeg F63BE13D-669A-465C-A4B3-0EC097A4F393.jpeg

JamesMichael likes this.
  9. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Cmoney86 likes this.
  10. Zeke

Regular

beachdude and pbueddi like this.
  11. tomtom94

Trusted

Tim's voice sounds so much better, it's great.

The ending doesn't "pop" quite as much without the backing vocals but still a decent live song. I would be down for them sticking with this "aesthetic" and adding a bit more theatricality to their shows, not going to lie.

12. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I gotta tell ya, it's so hard to get into songs when 40-50 year olds still refer to themselves as kids haha. It's why i can't handle so many of Blink 182's lyrics. It's probably not a fair criticism but it like...immediately takes me out of a song haha

13. Furry Werthers

Trusted

I had the exact same reaction lol

14. Cmoney86

Trusted

They aren’t even talking about themselves so… the song is about the current generation of kids

15. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Come on. Tim is too great of a lyricist to refer to himself as a kid.

16. fran.182

Regular Prestigious

What is this with so many music fans always equating first person point of view with autobiography? I keep hearing this argument and I'll never get it.

Actually, even if band or artist x asserted that song or album y was autobiographical, it would be narrow-minded to close its interpretation... And what if a 40-50 years old is simply "presentifying" his/her past?

17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Sometimes people can’t what’s autobiographical, composite or just a separate story told from a characters point of view.

I know artists don’t always love to talk about the origin of their songs, but I really love hearing them. It can really add a layer to a song or clarifies things.

I asked people in this thread for clarity on the lyrics for the first single on this album and it helped. I didn’t know who Rise Against was describing as Generation Nowhere. As a casual listener of this band and I didn’t want to make assumptions because a found a line or two confusing.

I assumed it had to do with youth and the oppressed though.

18. Furry Werthers

Trusted

It's just think it's fuckin weird when a 40+ year old bleets "we are the kids", I didn't confuse it for an autobiography lmfaooooooo

19. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Lol I listened to it once, heard “we are the kids”, said that was weird and moved on. It wasn’t all that serious of a criticism or a deep dive into the song.

Furry Werthers likes this.
  20. Cmoney86

Trusted

21. Cmoney86

Trusted

"NOWHERE GENERATION" IS A SONG SUNG IN THE FIRST PERSON: "WE ARE THE NOWHERE GENERATION." BUT OSTENSIBLY THIS IS AN ANTHEM FOR THE YOUTH, THOSE THAT ARE NEXT IN LINE. WHY DID YOU CHOSE TO SING FROM THIS PERSPECTIVE?
    TIM MCILRATH
    I'm always trying to figure out what voice to use in a song. A lot of my songs come from the perspective of a character, they're not always me. In this one, I really wanted to put myself in the listener's perspective ... This song was sort of inspired by a lot of the younger generation telling me about their anxieties, their concerns and worries about the future of the world around them. At first I treated those accounts as, Well, yeah, that's every generation. We're all swimming upstream against the tide, trying to overcome it. But the tide nowadays has been manipulated. It's driven by a lot of external forces, which create things like the rise of the one percent, concentrated wealth, the decay of the middle class, exploding college debt. I realized that a lot of the issues that this generation is facing are new and unique to this generation.

The sad irony, the kick in the teeth to all of this, is that I feel like "Millennial" became a dirty word. It became a punch line. It became, "Oh these people are entitled and self-absorbed. They don't know how to pick up the phone or run errands." But when you realize what they're faced with, you can see [how] that paralysis might be created. When you grow up in a world where you no longer trust the institutions around you to support you, or if you believe that the ladder to success has been burned away by somebody who used it before you — that affects you psychologically. It affects the way you look at the world. I wanted the song to come from that voice. I started to find real sympathy with these concerns and complaints. It was very much inspired by the people in our front row.

22. Cmoney86

Trusted

so according to that interview monarch has a melodic hardcore presence to it and forfeit is the albums acoustic song

23. MrSark

On doit jouer à domicile comme à la maison.

24. tomtom94

Trusted

It feels like they or the label are convinced the title track will be a hit and are really trying to push it before the album's release.

Not that I object to it, just would kind of like to hear another song soon!

I feel Tim's voice sounds a bit strained on this version?

beachdude, pbueddi and JamesMichael like this.
  25. pbueddi

Trusted

The time between album announcement and release date seemed kind of far apart to me, mainly due to how things currently are with COVID. I could totally be wrong though.