Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rise Against Announce New Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Rise Against will release their new album, Nowhere Generation, on June 4th. Today they’ve share the title track and pre-orders are now up.

Multi-Gold and Platinum punk rock band RISE AGAINST is back with a provocative and dynamic new album, Nowhere Generation, the group's first new studio effort in four years.  On the upcoming release, the outspoken band points a finger at big business and politics for stacking the social and economical deck against Millennials', Gen Y's, and Gen Z's pursuit of The American Dream.  Musically, the album is blazing, aggressive punk rock; lyrically, the eleven songs were inspired in part by input from band members' young children and Rise Against's community of fans.  Nowhere Generation is set for a June 4 release and is Rise Against's first with new label Loma Vista Recordings.  Pre-Order /Pre-Save the album HERE.  

Said McIlrath, "Today there is the promise of the American Dream, and then there is the reality of the American Dream.  America's 'historical norm' that the next generation will be better off than the one that came before has been diminished by an era of mass social, economic, and political instability and a sell-out of the Middle Class.  The brass ring that was promised by hard work and dedication no longer exists for everyone. When the privileged climb the ladder of success and then burn it from the top, disruption becomes the only answer."

Also, today Rise Against debuts the "Nowhere Generation" music video, a stark yet dynamic piece shot entirely in black and white that contributes to the cohesive cross-campaign theme of the album:  the critique of mainstream pop culture and those at the top who actively work to suppress true equality for all.  The video also provides a first look at the visual motif that is woven throughout all aspects of the Nowhere Generation project, such as the album packaging and the band's socials.  The video can be viewed HERE.

For the Nowhere Generation project, the band worked with the Grammy-nominated creative director Brian Roettinger (Jay-Z, Florence and the Machine, No Age) to craft an impressive and truly inspired capsule of album offerings.  Those include:

CD in a soft pack jacket with a multi-page lyric booklet
    12-inch, limited edition vinyl picture disc (exclusive to the band's webstore)
    Deluxe album edition with a distinctive spinning wheel gatefold jacket with die-cut front cover; a 12-page album art booklet insert, and a bonus 7" featuring two "Nowhere Session" versions of album standouts "Nowhere Generation" + "Broken Dreams, Inc";  special vinyl color variants for retail worldwide as well as the band's webstore. 
    Standard vinyl format that includes a single sleeve, dorado paper-wrapped jacket, with lyric insert featuring metallic ink; multiple special vinyl color variants for select retailers as well as the band's webstore.  

Rise Against - McIlrath, Joe Principe/bass, Brandon Barnes/drums, and Zach Blair/lead guitar - recordedNowhere Generation at The Blasting Room in Fort Collins, Colorado, under the tutelage of Jason Livermore, Andrew Berlin, Chris Beeble, and long-time producer/engineer Bill Stevenson (Black Flag, The Descendents).  Stevenson has worked with the band on nearly all of their acclaimed releases since their sophomore effort, 2003's Revolutions Per Minute, and is often described as Rise Against's fifth member.  "Bill is our not-so-secret weapon,"Principe explained.  "He really has helped shape the band; he gets what we want to do and will go with us when we think outside the box.  He's the perfect producer for the style of music we play because he has an insane pop sensibility and the hardcore side to him as well."

In addition to the communal call to arms embedded in Nowhere Generation's dynamic title track, there's the fast and furious anti-establishment manifesto "Broken Dreams, Inc.," the moody ballad "Forfeit,""Sudden Urge," a true nod to the band's rock'n'roll side with an overall punk-vibe, the simplicity of "The Numbers" with a melody that will stick in your head, and the surprise pop candor in "Talking To Ourselves," a standout song about wanting to be heard and wondering if anyone is listening. "It describes a lot of what Rise Against does," says McIlrath, "to speak and scream when we feel there are things that are happening that aren't being addressed."  

"When I was growing up," said Principe, "I listened to bands like 7 Seconds, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, and Bad Religion.  All of those bands' music had a sense of hope with the world, a truly positive global view of what life can be.  From the beginning, we've wanted Rise Against to have that same positivity, to have our music be an inspiration for people to bring about change in their own lives, they just have to put forth the effort and speak up."
    more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

This is the....cleanest sounding non-acoustic song I've ever heard them do.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  3. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

I'll pass on this but i WILL use this as an opportunity to re-listen to the siren song album

Orla and ThumbsUpComics like this.
  4. ThumbsUpComics

Dumb guy

"If we're the flagship of peace and prosperity, we're taking on water and about to fucking sink!" That album rips right from the get-go.

5. Smee22

Regular

Can't believe that album is almost 20 years old.

JamesMichael likes this.
  6. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

I thought the same thing today!

Smee22 and JamesMichael like this.
  7. That album is a total banger

8. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Such a strong opener. Siren is such a scene staple for me. Absolute classic.

9. Smee22

Regular

I remember picking it up on a whim, not knowing anything really about the band. I'd say it was a worthwhile impulsive decision considering I still give it a listen once in a while!

bmir14 and Colby Searcy like this.
  10. gnar182

If you ignore everything that they released after 2006 this band are great.

new song is trash.

11. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

New song is a little uninspiring but at least it's a slightly different sound for them. Wolves was actually pretty good I thought. But who can blame them really? Super successful, stick to their guns, and it's been 15 years since Sufferer which was their last classic album -- it makes sense they have run out of steam creatively. This generation's Bad Religion, ain't-broke-don't-fix-it melodic protest rock. Will always love the band.

fredwordsmith likes this.
  12. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I refuse to ignore the song Savior.

13. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Disparity By Design is the shit.

14. gnar182

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  15. Rawrz

Regular

If only they could make an album as good as RPM, Siren Song or Sufferer again.

koryoreo likes this.
  16. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I think some of their catchiest material is on Appeal to Reason. I’m not ashamed to admit it.

The first five tracks are all sledgehammers, particularly “The Dirt Whispered” which is a pitch perfect pop song disguised in dirty guitar. Throw in Savior, Entertainment and either Hero of War or Audience of One and it’s a classic record. There’s a reason it sold so many copies.

This song is merely fine. Every first single since Re-Education doesn’t do it for me. I’ll hold judgement and I’ll buy it anyway because the band has such a good catalog. If buying their new art allows me to relive my past at a live show, that’s a price worth paying to make sure they can keep making a living.

17. merkky

Excited that they are doing a different sound, most of what they've done lately is so samey. I do agree that the song is a bit uninspired though.

18. Eml182

Regular

I don't mind the song - it's catchy. I feel like songs about a lost generation have gone the way of songs about the radio sucking. Beating a dead horse. (Rise against already wrote a song called Generation Lost anyway)

Analog Drummer likes this.
  19. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Appeal To Reason has some of their best songs but also some of their most generic. I have no idea why they insisted on playing "Long Forgotten Sons" live so much. Song just...draaaaags.

koryoreo likes this.
  20. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

It's more cookie cutter, no doubt. But whenever I see them play, the "woah-oh's" in the chorus always get a pretty big group sing-along response in the pit and in the seats. That's meaningful for a live show.

I agree that it's not one of the best songs, and also they favor it over much better material on that same record (see: The Dirt Whispered, Kotov, Entertainment). That sucks! But live music is definitely where bands like them make their cash now, so if they can do songs that allow people to be part of the action and want to buy a ticket next time, that's probably a big part of it.

21. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Post-Sufferer Rise Against playlist:

Collapse (Post-Amerika)
    The Dirt Whispered
    Kotov Syndrome
    Hero of War
    Savior
    Architects
    This is Letting Go
    Endgame
    Tragedy + Time
    The Eco Terrorist in Me
    Methodone
    Far From Perfect

22. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I would add Awake Too Long, Miracles and Welcome to the Breakdown to this list, but this about covers it.

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  23. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Like those two wolves cuts. I actually like House on Fire as well, one of their better singles since the glory days.

fredwordsmith and JamesMichael like this.
  24. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I’m liking this a bit more with each listen.

They’re a different band. They’re not gonna write RPM or Siren again. But it doesn’t mean they’re going to write bad music.

25. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Straight from the boss. I’m encouraged.