Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rise Against’s Video Shoot Shut Down

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 2, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Rise Against’s video shoot for “The Violence” was shut down for apparently being “anti-government.” The full message from the band can be found below.

As we prepare for the June 9th release of our new record WOLVES, we planned to shoot a video for the first single of that record “The Violence.” The song talks about whether violence is an inevitability of the human condition, or whether it’s a choice we make, and therefore, can reject. The video would attempt to distill this concept. Our director approached us with the idea of filming in a field full of the Presidential busts (basically the giant concrete heads of Roosevelt, Lincoln, Washington, etc). Our permit to shoot the video was initially granted, but subsequently pulled by the board of directors who oversee the location. The reason? They decided we were ’anti-government.’

We found this location compelling as the President heads represent power on both sides of the aisle. Rise Against has unapologetically spoken truth to power.

Today, as the world celebrates May Day and the international fight for workers rights, we are reminded that over 100 years ago, workers, many of them immigrants, were told to sit down and shut up. We all now enjoy weekends, eight hour workdays, and other protections because they refused to listen to naysayers. Renewed attacks on the most vulnerable in the world in the year 2017 has strengthened our resolve. We plan on being unapologetically loud about it no matter who tells us to pipe down. In that respect, we wear the boards rejection as a badge of honor. We will just find another door to claw at…

2. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

Did they <team Trump cough> really not know that with a name like "Rise Against" they may be doing something that paints them in a negative light?? SHOCKING, but each day is something more terrible than the last with this administration...

3. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

man, and it's Rise Against, they're like... pretty subdued, being punk produced by a major studio. hope they film it there anyway without a permit, or take it elsewhere and turn up the imagery to FDT levels lol

4. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Sad.

5. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

truelovewaits likes this.
  6. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I've heard bad things about them. This is what I'm hearing. People are saying this.

7. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

The open display of aggression towards free speech by this administration is really troubling.

CoffeeEyes17 and coleslawed like this.
  8. Malatesta

admittedly it's not clear but this isn't necessarily a move made by Trump's administration, more likely it's a local office, point notwithstanding

coleslawed likes this.
  9. K0ta

You're definitely right, and I should have worded my post better, but these types of moves in this political climate seem to have a very direct source. In other words, we have a very hostile presidential administration towards dissent of any kind and I wonder if that is emboldening these people.

10. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

For one: I love all the mockery of trump-isms in the threads these days.

For two: I wonder what the office things of anti flag ;)

11. Malatesta

oh yeah it's still an informative and troubling move

K0ta likes this.
  12. jorbjorb

7 rings

surprised trump can't take this video down

13. K0ta

This has absolutely made my day, and I am so sad I didn't know about it sooner. Thank you for sharing, although it makes me sad looking at it in hindsight...point still stands.

jorbjorb likes this.
  14. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

They need to break in there RATM-style and film it. Film themselves going to jail. Film the hatred of people who would likely protest if they knew the shoot was going on.

Illustrate it. I'm CERTAIN there are Trump supporters out there who love Rise Against and don't know what they're singing about.

Schooner, Turkeylegz and coleslawed like this.
  15. Schooner May 3, 2017
    (Last edited: May 3, 2017)
    Schooner

Trusted

I'm also sure there are trump supporters that know exactly what they're singing about but don't mind cause the music is great
    I haven't agreed with every RA lyric (rare) but those few I didn't I either interpreted it differently or just appreciated their passion