Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest Announces First Wave of Bands • Page 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 19, 2017.

1. mattant

Well in my opinion, your opinion of what makes an asshole is flawed.

And in my opinion, not being able to engage people in meaningful debate and articulate your view without getting aggressive, demeaning and condescending, makes YOU an asshole.

So there, we continue to disagree :)

2. I was 15 and I started it for fun you clown. I spent my lunch money to buy the domain name. I love that your response to the resounding "holy fuck you're just always wrong" is this.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  3. Shucks.
    Double shucks.

4. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

How the fuck is it 2017 and people are still trying to explain away why female artists aren't being booked.

Also, of course @Jason Tate is going to be antagonistic, I've seen him argue this point like 100 times already! This is SO simple, y'all: book female artists! Promote female artists! Give them a platform! IT'S 2017. There are so many fantastic ones out there. Julien Baker, Cayetana, Diet Cig, Camp Cope, Phoebe Bridgers, Ratboys, Petal, Daughter, I could keep going. Maybe instead of trying to justify why this isn't an issue, it might be worthwhile to do some reflection and critical thinking and consider what it says about you that your answer to, "Why aren't there more bands with women on them at Riot Fest?" is essentially, "They aren't good enough."

5. JohnnyStacks

Regular

You honestly don't deserve to have a following. You just berate people because you're miserable. Seriously, it's sad that you have a platform and you waste your time arguing with fans of your website. You are the place that posts news that matters on music I care(losing my love for it)about.

6. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Did someone call about a ghost problem?

[​IMG]

7. And yet I do anyway. O well.
    No, I berate idiots because they have regressive opinions about things I care about and I've already "argued" this damn argument a billion times I'm sick of it. I'm not miserable at all (minus a little existential dread about this country, but personally ... shit I'm happier than I've ever been in my life).

I mean it takes like 30 seconds or so to post on the website while in between thinking out how to map out an array in the other window. It takes way less time to mock your stupid posts than you think.

I know, I'm pretty good at my job. You should listen to me on diversity being good for everyone as well.

8. (I'll go to my death saying this movie was good too.)

9. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

But..like...it starred women, man.

dylan likes this.
  10. JohnnyStacks

Regular

I no way did I say that chorus.fm has been good. Said that you post on music I cared about. I think I show up here out of muscle memory from coming to absolutepunk for so long. It's all good. Honestly, this is depressing as fuck this thread. I feel like you're unraveling hahaha

11. Something something PC culture something something affirmative action something something my opinion free speech.

;-)

Petit nain des Îles and David87 like this.
  12. Don't let the door hit your ass homeboy

13. VanderlyleCrybaby

Regular Supporter

what a weird thread. The Riot Fest lineup this year looks awesome, if you want to bitch about gender representation in a music festival then maybe you should start a music festival and book whomever you would like.

14. JohnnyStacks

Regular

15. JohnnyStacks

Regular

Oh dude Jason Tate is going to flip when he sees this response

16. I know, seriously ... how can these men keep posting these same bullshit arguments after all this time ...

Oh.

17. Deathco_019

Drummer

This is an incredibly problematic post as it's not our jobs to start music festivals, nor are most of us in any position to do so to begin with

18. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Not enough female bands that sell tickets ----------> Not enough female bands booked ---------> Not enough girls get into that kind of music at a young age due to lack of role models that look like them ------------> Not enough female bands that sell tickets

Hmm...If only there were something a festival could do to help stop this cycle:chin:

19. JohnnyStacks

Regular

Yeah you and everyone here could start going to see female acts live so that the numbers are so overwhelming they'd be foolish not to book them

20. Always gonna get the side eye when someone throws around gendered language when in a thread already discussing gender equality. But, who actually makes "omg you can't push for progress unless you actually start your own ______" argument? Like, what? Oh, ok, well, don't wanna get abused ... start your own airline and just fly yourself.

Petit nain des Îles and dadbolt like this.
  21. VanderlyleCrybaby

Regular Supporter

Yeah really problematic. so then what is your job? Write a petition to the people who run Riot Fest or something, what is the solution?

22. Someone really should book an all-female festival. Or at least all female/female-fronted/mixed-gender acts. I bet you could get everyone from A-list pop stars to up and comers like Downtown Boys to underground vets like SK all on one bill just because it's never been done before (to my knowledge)

cwhit likes this.
  23. mattant

No but it is your job to get in a band and work your ass off to get booked at festivals. Female acts ARE getting booked for festivals, and many of the most powerful artists in the worlds are female. In bands and particularly in genres like this there are less females. Is this because it is harder for them here? Partly. Is this because it attracts less females? Partly. Is it because promoters are actively looking at talented well followed bands and deliberately not booking them because they are female? I would wager most of the time not...

There are far less female musicians than male, its just a fact.

24. JohnnyStacks

Regular

You're describing Lilith fair.

angrycandy likes this.
  25. *whispers* ... they're already foolish not to book them.