Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest Announces First Wave of Bands • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 19, 2017.

1. JohnnyStacks

Regular

Yeah but else are they going to bitch about today

Shordeli and noeljames like this.
  2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

exactly. but why is a festival 90% dudes and 10% women? are you saying that's an accurate representation of bands that fit those criteria?

3. Gender is not dictated by "private parts."

Period.

And lineups should promote diversity, diversity is good, using your platform to be inclusive on purpose, is good.

4. Shordeli

Yes, I am. MORE people in bands tend to be male. 90/10? Maybe not. But it's not that far off. Either way, the guys who put on Riot Fest are stand up dudes who I know personally, and their only objective is to create a lineup that makes people excited. They aren't keeping track of gender/race/religion/etc. And personally, I don't think they should.

5. Tater Tot

Regrettes

Peaches (whose lyrics focus on gender indentity)

How about you champion some of the positives going on with the festival.

There are also other minority groups prominent in the festival.

6. :chin: Maybe that's the problem.

7. cwhit

downtown boys is a bilingual band with women in it and they are really great political voices!

i bet they would be disappointed with this lineup as a whole

8. Tater Tot

And riot fest artist peaches supports and promotes that.

9. Shordeli

I don't get your point. Whether it's a female OR a male running a festival, it should be about the reasons I listed previously. It should have nothing to do with gender.

10. cwhit

if it had nothing to do with gender the ratios would be far closer to even

it's not that they're trying to book males only, it's that males as a whole garner bigger audiences because they are the ones who get more exposure. the only way to change that is to put more women (in great bands, not ones that are lousy, i'm not advocating that) on stage

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  11. Cool, unless that artist is also the user I'm quoting, I don't find that relevant.

12. Tater Tot

Can't wait to see their set and see what their opinions of the fest are.

13. cwhit

they're killer live, don't miss it!

14. And I disagree. Meritocracy is a myth and there's countless reasons that go into picking artists for festivals that go beyond what you listed. I think it's good to include and specifically wanting inclusive voices among the many reasons.

Petit nain des Îles and cwhit like this.
  15. Tater Tot

Gogol bordello

16. Tater Tot

There is a very high level of diversity in the lineup including gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, economic status. Many of the artists themselves are active in promoting social causes.

17. Shordeli

I think that's a valid point, but from your perspective, what would a festival have to do to hit that mark? Would it be a press release stating they had made an effort to be more inclusive and are including more female bands? Honestly curious.

18. cwhit

making it so it's not noticeable that there are so many more dudes than women?

19. Shordeli

MIA and Paramore are literally right at the top. There ARE more males in bands than females. That just happens to be a fact in 2017. And there are still a bunch of females in these other bands...

20. Tater Tot

When it has a higher percentage than the percentage of stories by Chorus. Oh wait it already is higher.

21. That'd be a start, I don't think it's that hard to see the results when places put an emphasis on this — the results speak for themselves. If you make it a priority, and actively measure and release reports, I think that's one way. A lot of companies release "diversity reports" each year now, and you can see how awful they're doing at making their workplaces more diverse and inclusive, but at least they're measuring it and showing they're aware of the problems.

22. I'd be willing to bet this isn't true, for one, but there's a big difference between a list of 50 bands with finite spots, and over 6k posts on a website with literally infinite.

23. And we should address why that is as well, and one way is to promote bands so more women think they can, and should, start bands and that there are opportunities for them.

24. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

whaaaa, that's terrible. i moved and havent heard anything.

25. JohnnyStacks

Regular

I'm sorry, what was your ratio of male to female on the absolutepunk staff?