Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2023 Tour • Page 9

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Sep 18, 2022.

1. heaththehorizon

Regular

There was a rumor floating around a little bit back that blink was locked in for the South American Lolla’s

2. Cmoney86

Trusted

lolla could offer them way more money then riot fest could. also they would be top 8 again like last time. also if they do end up on lolla next year they would play to a bigger crowd then they would at riot fest with daily caps going up to 115k per day

3. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

The Lollapalooza crowd will not care about Blink with Tom in the same way Riot Fest would. It wouldn’t be worth it.

Pokinatcha Punk likes this.
  4. Cmoney86

Trusted

the rock crowds at lolla the last 2 years have been massive so idk what you are talking about

plus like its been said already they have been linked to playing the Brazil lolla

5. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m not saying they haven’t been massive, I’m just saying if they reunite with Tom people are going to care more at Riot Fest. The average casual music listener probably has no idea that Tom left the band. Sure, there will absolutely be people there who care and think it’s a big deal at Lolla, but it won’t be the same reaction as if they were doing the same reunion at Riot Fest.

6. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Very true - if Blink’s 2019 is any indication, I’m not sure many of their casual fans even know Tom’s not in the band.

7. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

The Lolla crowd, in general, wouldn't care much, but a lot of people would buy day passes just to see Blink w/ Tom either way.

8. El_Macho_Nacho

Hey guys, hope you all had a blast at Riot Fest this year, I sure did.

My ideas (which doesn't mean they're good or realistic) for Headliners next year:

Friday: Fall Out Boy - Take This To Your Grave 20th Anniversary Album Play
    Saturday: Iggy & the Stooges - Raw Power 50th Anniversary Album Play (why not have one last hoorah)
    Sunday: The Smiths Reunion

That'll make for some fun Riot/Root stages. The Pixies & Dinosaur Jr. can definitely play before The Smiths. Paramore & The All-American Rejects can play before Fall Out Boy. And Saturday could be full of punk surprises.

It will be a difficult task to top 2022 headliners.

9. Tifoil

ñ

Worth to notice that Lolla also booked Angels & Airwaves in 2021. This, along with the already mentiobed rumor of Blink playing Lollapalooza in South America, I wouldnt discard them playing Lolla Chicago instead of Riot.

Although I would say rock crowds have not been big in the 2 Lollas I have attended. Yes, headliners Metallica, Foo Fighters and Green Day were massive, but AVA had a small crowd in 2021, Idles crowd this year was not big at all too. Even Turnstile had a smaller crowd than Wet Leg

alkalinexandy likes this.
  10. I don’t think this will ever happen, but I do think Riot Fest has been maintaining a relationship with Morrissey on the off chance that it ever does.

11. Rmourz

Trusted

Johnny Marr in 2018, too.

I’ve pretty much decided I’m skipping Riot next year for Bamboozle, but either FOB playing TTYG or a Smiths reunion would be enough to make me change that. Add a Minor Threat reunion as the third headliner and you’ve got my holy trinity of “never gonna happen but if it does I have to be there” sets.

12. TylerR

Regular

I know it’s a broken record with people but I just want The Cure to headline again. It’s been long enough for them to come back.

kpatrickwood and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  13. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I missed them last time and I regret not at least catching some of their set before heading over to Weezer, so ya they'd be one of my top picks for headliner. And it does seem like they're due to tour soon so I think it's definitely in play.

14. ALT/MSC/FAN

Holy shit, RIP Coolio. I think Riot Fest was his last set ever.

EDIT: Looks like he played some I Love the 90s dates after Riot Fest, but still, holy shit.

15. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Holy fuck, Coolio.

16. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

That Coolio set was one of my favorites of the weekend, it was only 4 songs but it was so fun. It made me do a lot of thinking & I never realized how important he was to me growing up in the 90s. From his music to the theme song for Kenan & Kel to being a musical guest on All That several times to being a panelist on Figure It Out to being the voice for Kwanzaabot in Futurama... on top of all the weird cameo spots & acting he did. During his set he did a tribute to a ton of dead rappers, it sucks how quickly he's been added to that list.

17. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

In hindsight, the dude was omnipresent in pop-culture for a period of ~2 years. Multiple massive hits, the Nickelodeon stuff, other acting gigs, etc. Super underrated in hindsight too. Curious to see the narrative shift as people re-evaluate him.

I also remember when he was all over VH-1 for a brief moment in 1998 with a Blondie collaboration for the 200 Cigarettes soundtrack. An underrated song, but an interesting moment in hindsight. Because like, was Blondie trying to hop on the rap-rock train early or something? Were they just legit intrigued by the genre still? I think it might have been a little bit of both. But still... The song fucking slaps and is worth a listen.

theasteriskera likes this.
  18. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

Yeah between like '96 & '98 Coolio was on my tv CONSTANTLY apparently, & I didn't really process that until after his set last week, & even more so now. Just found out that his cameo in Batman & Robin was supposed to lead to a movie with him as the featured villain as Scarecrow, which I'm bummed doesn't exist. Thanks for sharing this Blondie collab, I had no idea this existed!!

19. ALT/MSC/FAN

The Kenan & Kel theme and "The Winner" are both 100% certified classics.

alkalinexandy and theasteriskera like this.
  20. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

I stand by my argument that the Kenan & Kel theme is the greatest theme song of all time

EDIT: Fuck, I just remembered the Pete & Pete theme song by Polaris and I take that back. But still, the Kenan & Kel theme is an underrated banger, and a fantastic theme song. Coolio gets major points for doing it

21. sam_might_say

Oh my god I totally forgot he was on Figure It Out! That episode is so funny. Even though he was on Nickelodeon quite often, you could really tell he had no idea what he was in for or what the fuck was going on, but he was just rolling with it

22. Tifoil

ñ

Not sure about that. Have you heard the Zoboomafoo theme song? That shit fucking slaps! (And yes, Im serious about this)

23. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I have to go back & watch him on Figure it Out now haha. Also, I wish that Polaris tour didn't get cancelled, it would've been so neat

I hope this thread continues to devolve into theme songs that make me go "ahhh fuck, that song really is a banger"

Tifoil likes this.
  24. sam_might_say

Ah hell, there’s my earworm for the day, I guess

Tifoil likes this.
  25. sam_might_say

Yeah Figure It Out had some left-field panelists. Especially during the Wild Style season (Hacksaw, Colin Mochrie, etc.)

I’m still super bummed about that Polaris tour. Really hope they make it work again someday. I love that whole soundtrack