Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2021 (September 17-19, Chicago IL) Tour • Page 93

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

I figure the Pixies play before the Pumpkins on the main stage.. they can go through a lot of songs in a 60 minute set, but I could be wrong

Blondie played afternoon on the main-stage, B-52's co-headlined the Rise stage before Ween.. but both probably had bigger crowds than most other bands those days... I think the last year Jimmy Eat World played, they had the biggest crowd that Friday.... I read the biggest crowd ever for Glastonbury was apparently for Dolly Parton and she played the afternoon..

2. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Fair point about the Pixies. Direct support for the Pumpkins would make all the sense in the world too!

It's been a while since I've seen Jimmy Eat World in a non-shitty setting, so if they were to be added it would make me super happy! I just looked it up and that was in 2016. Looking at that line-up, on that particular day, it's not shocking that they had the biggest crowd... Although I would have thought more people would have watched the Flaming Lips purely for the oddity factor.

3. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

While we're talking possibilities for second/third wave adds, I've been thinking a few things as of late. It's a combination of what would feel reasonable and what I think would be cool:

A "Punk in Drublic"-type stage. Headlined by NOFX with the Circle Jerks, the Lawrence Arms, and some smaller bands of the same ilk (probably bands who are Fat Wreck or Fat Wreck adjacent). Both NOFX and the Larry Arms are due to play. The Circle Jerks are already on the bill and I'm honestly not seeing other bands that they would readily fit with. If this happens, I could also see a few of the younger Fat bands winding up on the second stage as well. Of course, this whole idea probably goes out the window if the Offspring wind up being added...

A "ska" day for the side stage. Headlined by Reel Big Fish with Fishbone. Mustard Plug or the Suicide Machines in the 5pm slot. With earlier in the day filled out by some of the current ska "buzz" bands (Kill Lincoln, We Are the Union, Catbite). Feels like it would work and it would give Fishbone the opportunity to play at a time other than 1pm for once.

JaytotheGee likes this.
  4. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

I thought NOFX had a bigger crowd that night than the Flaming Lips, but my eyesight is shit

alkalinexandy likes this.
  5. Tifoil

ñ

I really need a Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American 20th anniversary set

6. Mike Dust 81 Apr 7, 2021
    (Last edited: Apr 7, 2021)
    Mike Dust 81

Trusted

Bosstones have a new album coming out (which Angelo from Fishbone, Tim Timebomb & Amy Interrupter among others are on), and they've played Riot a ton, so they are very possible.... Aquabats! have technically played the last 2 years of Riot, so they could be possible esp with a fourth day added... the Interrupters are a long shot because of the Hella Mega Tour, but not technically ruled out

7. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

I had a thought yesterday. So, we’re expecting anniversary album plays for 2020 AND 2021, right? So, say, an album came out in 2000, we're still expecting the possibility of a “20 year anniversary set” even though it’s now 21 years, and whatnot.

But, has Riot been known to book anniversary sets a year before the actual anniversary? So, say an album was released in 2002, would Riot possibly get a band to do a 20-year set a year early? Has that been done? Is that possible?

I only ask because I realized next year is the 25th anniversary for both “The Fury Of” by The Aquabats and “Let’s Face It” by the Bosstones, and I think those would be some INSANE adds to the lineup

8. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

Bosstones did an album play of "Let's Face It" last time they played Riot in 2017

9. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

I wouldn't be surprised if theres a few of the pop-punk revival bands doing anniversary sets. The Wonder Years, Transit, Man Overboard, Fireworks, etc.

10. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Don't we all? I feel lucky to have caught the Clarity tour. But I'm still a little salty that the Futures tour never came anywhere near me.

Part of me wonders if we'll get a Bleed American album tour at some point in the near future, even if it's not an anniversary. It's enough of a "thing" that they don't necessarily need an anniversary to celebrate it! Would be cool if they were added to the festival and that was an album play, but I won't hold my breath.

I'd say the Bosstones are very possible! But I would argue that they're a little too big for that side stage, which is what I was specifically thinking about. They played super early the last time they played Riot, but looking at the current acts on the bill I think they'd play much later in the day this time around.

Aquabats would be super fun on the side-stage, and I could see them as being a possibility too. Not sure how much playing in 2019 would impact their chances of playing in 2021, though.

I think the Interrupters are probably out because of Hella Mega, but you never know. We live in strange times.

I doubt we'd get another "Let's Face It" album play... In general, though, while it's not entirely impossible to get bands to play an album in full on a year that isn't an anniversary? The anniversary makes it way more likely because a band might be doing shows around it, anyway. Getting them to do it a year before it wouldn't be billed as an anniversary, hah.

And I'm sure it's easier to get bands to do things when they're already kinda doing it anyway versus asking them to do it for a single show. The "trick" is that the Riot line-up usually comes out in May, and those album play tours don't get announced for a while after that. So it looks exclusive for a brief period of time.

I do think this year, we might see a few "We missed the anniversary in 2020 so we're doing it in 2021/2022!" type of announcements. But probably less of "We're just doing this album just because!"

11. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

It depends on the wording in their contract, they are just considered "special guests" on that tour and maybe doing a 30 minute set.. and who knows if Hella Mega even happens or gets pushed back.. bands have also played Riot in the past that played Chicago in the 90 day radius

also, Aquabats! played a preshow in 2019, and at the actual festival in 2018 with the plan of having Travis do a few songs as Baron Von Tito (they were booked same day as Blink before they had to pull out)

12. sam_might_say

Oops! I totally forgot about that

13. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

JB is playing Metro the week after Riot so she is def out.

14. KindaFatMike

Trusted

i just hope there is more ska added in general. With the line up as it is, i can see fishbone and hepcat being tacked as the openers on the dirty head/sublime stage, with one more sizable name to fill in the Toots spot (unless the Maytals stay and do a 'with special guests' type set, which would be really cool to see)

Mike Dust 81 likes this.
  15. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

The Wonder Years said they were gonna play The Upsides & Suburbia in full, Man O said they were gonna play Real Talk. IMO those 2 are locks. Fireworks put out a new song right before COVID, I'd bet they're ready to play some shows again. Lead singer of Transit just started releasing music under a new name (narrowcast.) and Torre (guitarist) is in several different bands currently. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see that happening in the near future

16. alkalinexandy Apr 7, 2021
    (Last edited: Apr 7, 2021)
    alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Fair point. The Interrupters are a drop in the ocean on that bill, so it's possible they would play both. If they get added, though, I would assume it would be doing the third wave (no pun intended) instead of the second, assuming Hella Mega moves forward.

I mean, it's not uncommon for there to be a ska band or two sprinkled onto the main stages. But my thinking was that they're going to have a main stage full of "ska"-leaning bands on at least one day (Dirty Heads, Sublime with Rome, whatever takes place instead of the Maytals, Fishbone, Hepcat, and one more band). It could make some sense to have another day where that side stage is loaded with it, assuming they can get the appropriate headliners.

EDIT: Reel Big Fish or Streetlight Manifesto being the primary two I would think could play in -- and would be okay with -- playing that spot on that stage. Goldfinger is size appropriate but I would imagine they'd want main stage if they were to play.

17. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

Ahh, I was thinking Transit was doing the semi-frequent one-off reunions like Man Overboard and Valencia. Four Year Strong is a strong candidate too. Maybe Set Your Goals?

theasteriskera likes this.
  18. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

New Free Throw album out this summer so they might be playing

19. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Every Time I Die was originally going to play in 2021 based on their rescheduled tour dates.

20. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Sum 41 doing All killer 20th anniversary would be a solid add

21. KindaFatMike

Trusted

Offspring & The Hives doing a UK tour in November. fun bill!

ALT/MSC/FAN and alkalinexandy like this.
  22. Pokinatcha Punk

Regular

I would love a full ska stage, but I’m not going to get my hopes up that there will be one.

23. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I'd be into that!

Too, from the looks of Lagwagon's Instagram, it looks like they're going to be gearing up to do some stuff this year starting with a Double Plaidinum-era t-shirt re-release for some reason. Would be cool for them to be at Riot again!

Very fun and would love either band to be added to Riot. I'm still a little salty that the "Swedish Invasion Tour" with Refused and the Hives never hit the east coast.

The "theming" of stages is less obvious on that second stage, but they've definitely done it to an extent at times (2018, in particular). My hopes aren't up either, but I'd love for it to happen.

JaytotheGee likes this.
  24. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Japanese Breakfast is out, playing Thalia hall 9/16 which is the day of the Thursday Preview Party.

Although, if anyone didn’t get tickets to the preview party or isn’t interested, you have another solid option that day for a show to attend.

25. sam_might_say

That sounds like a great show. I’d like to see The Hives at some point. Offspring rule live too