Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2021 (September 17-19, Chicago IL) Tour • Page 77

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 16, 2019.

1. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

chewbacca110 likes this.
  2. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

If this is accurate, I'm going to be incredibly bummed. Hah. Mostly because some of those acts would just feel like wasted space to me. Body Count and Pennywise are cool, but if I'm being real about it? They feel more like "filler" for me as far as a live set goes. And I really couldn't care less about seeing the Dwarves or the Adicts. I'd still be able to have fun, but I really am hoping that when the line-up drops it feels more "90s punk" than "old punk dude punk."

Personal taste and aspirations aside, though, it feels reasonable. Although, per usual with most of these faux line-ups, some of the placement feels off to me (e.g., the Melvins would be below Bayside, Circle Jerks above Body Count).

theasteriskera likes this.
  3. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

alkalinexandy and JaytotheGee like this.
  4. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah lacking very hard in that department

5. sam_might_say

I’m thinking we get those next announcement, because yeah, severely lacking

6. KindaFatMike

Trusted

over all this persons own additions dont do too much for me either. Go-gos and mr bungle would be the 2 exciting gets. all the classic punk of social D, the damned, dead boys, adicts, melvins, and dwarves would be nice for people to check off their lists if they havent already. Deftones and offspring are always great, but they are both road dogs so seen them both a ton already

alkalinexandy likes this.
  7. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

alkalinexandy and chewbacca110 like this.
  8. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

Offspring hasn't played my state since 1995, so I'd be fine with finally seeing them @ Riot lol

KindaFatMike likes this.
  9. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Theoretically, I think that person was ticking that box with the Offspring, Pennywise, and the Flatliners.

I'm still holding out hope that we see a few Fat Wreck-style skate punk, pop-punk, and/or hardcore (or whatever the hell you want to call it) type bands in the mix for 2021. I am almost positive that 2020 was going to have a bunch (likely in place of a midwest Punk in Drublic date).

But who knows now? I would assume at least a few of the bands Fat released albums from in 2020 are going to pop-up on the 2021 festival circuit. I think the Suicide Machines, Bad Cop/Bad Cop, and Get Dead are all pretty likely. I could see Get Dead opening what will inevitably be the "ska" stage the day that Fishbone, Hepcat, and Sublime with Rome play.

I wonder if having 2020 effectively be cancelled will change whether we might get some of the 2019 bands back in the mix. Because that year was definitely heavy on the "90s sounding punk and hardcore."

I just really hope we can start steering away from the "old dude" punk shit. I get it. It's important. But if an early day main stage or later day side-stage slot goes to the fucking Adicts or Neighborhood Brats instead of a newer, hungrier band that could effectively use that exposure? That'd be kind of a bummer for me.

The Go-Go's and the Psychedelic Furs would both be awesome adds. And I'd be all in on Danny Brown, Japandroids, the Damned, Charly Bliss, the Menzingers, and the Flatliners. But I don't really need anything else on there. Hah. The Offspring and Social D are fun but, I dunno... Do I really need another 50-minute Social D set of which 10 minutes is "Ball & Chain," another 10 minutes is "Story Of My Life," and the remaining 30 is basically Mike Ness talking about how times have changed?

10. sam_might_say

It’s been awhile since they’ve played Riot, yeah? Wasn’t the last one they played 2014? Seems like they’re due for a return

11. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

I won one of those Riot Fest vinyl contests once. I ended up selling the turntable and every record I got in a Facebook merch group and buying different records, it was awesome.

12. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Belated congrats on that!

That's kinda my hope. Winning and selling the records I don't want, hah.

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  13. MattNCheeze

Trusted

Need this to really happen this year because losing my absolute shit to Cherub Rock for the first time is #1 thing I'm holding on to as a positive for 21'

14. sam_might_say

Same, but I’m in desperate need to bawl my eyes out to Tonight, Tonight

15. Tifoil

ñ

16. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I wouldn’t be able to go because I have an out of town wedding that weekend but I think it’s a bad idea (not just because I can’t attend), I think having back to back major festivals in Chicago just isn’t a good idea since there’s a lot of crossover between attendees.

17. sam_might_say

18. Tifoil

ñ

And both festivals have Run The Jewels as headliners. At least on Pitchfork 2020 they were

19. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I have a feeling the city won't approve back to back festivals. Also, the weekend before the Pitchfork dates is the World Music Festival and the weekend before that is the Jazz fest. That's four weekends in a row of high traffic in Chicago.

20. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Seems like a really bad idea for both festivals honestly.

21. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

I love RTJ but they are not one of the headliners of Riot, they specifically stated the third headliner hasn't been announced yet

alkalinexandy likes this.
  22. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm not much of an RTJ fan, but I do know they were set to headline the Saturday of Pitchfork in 2020. I don't know which festival considers itself bigger but it seems weird they would go from headlining one festival to not headlining another festival in the same city (that obviously isn't Lollapalooza).

23. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

Pitchfork has had some REALLY odd headliners in the past tho.

24. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

RTJ could headline Riot or be a sub-headliner, depending on the year and who else is on the bill. I get that they headlined previously but that was a different set of circumstances. This year, I have a feeling they're a sub. But that will probably mean they either: (a) close out their stage just before the primary headliner (e.g., MCR, Pumpkins, ???) of the day goes on, or (b) close out the "smaller" set of main stages going partially against the primary headliner.

Given the line-up thus far? I'm thinking it'll be B.

Sidenote: Circle Jerks postponed their 2021 headlining tour dates to spring 2022. Riot Fest was never part of that initial run, so it might mean nothing... But something to keep an eye on.

25. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I don't see Riot Fest or Fest happening this Fall and if they don't happen I would really like them to move to Spring so we don't have to wait a whole year again. Punk Rock Bowling already shifted to Fall 2021 but I feel like they'll end up back in their normal timeframe of May as well

I also feel like MCR isn't going to postpone their dates a whole year again and would maybe do April/May 2022 rather than Sept/Oct 2022

alkalinexandy and anotherpancake like this.