Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2021 (September 17-19, Chicago IL) Tour • Page 75

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 16, 2019.

1. KindaFatMike

Trusted

when i saw them at Lolla 2013 (my first festival ever! an insanely good lineup that made me finally go its time to put up or shut up about going to fests, ive been hooked ever since) they headlined the Bud Light stage which is the smaller of the 2 main stages. i think they were opposite Mumford and sons on the bigger Main but still were a 'closer'. It was a magical show and with ben having done Riot before, some semblance of relationship has been established so it could definitely happen. Would be curious to see if they would over take RTJ as the 3 spot on the poster, itd be really close (if there arent any other additional headliners to be announced..)

alkalinexandy likes this.
  2. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

They’ve made it sound like another headliner will be announced, so I don’t see RTJ headlining.

BUT, I think they will definitely close out one of the stages

3. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Just based on the music alone, I'd imagine they would be playing toward the end of the night and probably closing out a stage. But there's a difference in $$$ and notoriety when you're the top three on a poster versus being the second line down, y'know? It would be a better deal for them to headline the main stage at Riot compared to Lolla, I would think...

I think whatever headliner they add will trump Run the Jewels. I can see RTJ closing out the second set of stages for sure.

Sidenote: Based on a recent interview with Ray Rocket it looks like Teenage Bottlerocket, NOFX, and Lagwagon are all looking likely to have new albums out by next fall. So I'm still holding hope that we get more skate and/or pop-punk in the mix when waves 2 and 3 get announced for Riot!

4. Tifoil

ñ

I just noticed that the Judas Priest/Sabaton tour was rescheduled for 2021 without a date in Illinois, when they were shceduled to play Rosemont in 2020.

On their resceduled tour, they play Ohio on September 17 and Wisconsin on September 22, so both bands have availability to play Riot next year.

I don't see Judas Priest or Sabaton as Riot bands, but that gap in their tour makes them a strong possibility

5. sam_might_say

Didn’t Judas Priest play in 2014? I could easily imagine them being on Riot

6. Tifoil

ñ

I checked the poster and Slayer and Mastodon played in 2014.

I know they always have a couple of metal bands (besides Gwar playing every year), and even a metal main stage stage in 2019, so yeah you're right, I can see them playing

weshankins34 likes this.
  7. sam_might_say

Weird, I SWEAR they played Riot before...

8. Tifoil

ñ

9. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Between this and the 2018 references to this, I feel like there's a chance now. The one thing that makes me think it won't happen would be the set-up they would probably want/need to pull it off the way Billy wants.

But hey. Worst-case scenario? The set will lean very heavily on that album, which is good enough for me!

10. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Also worth noting that they specified it's probably not going to be the whole album, so I think a lot of Mellon Collie will definitely be played at Riot

11. sam_might_say

I’m so excited! Mellon Collie is one of my favorite albums of all. Whether we get the whole thing or just some of it I’ll be stoked

I thought it’d be pretty dope if they headlined two nights of Riot, and played disc 1 night and disc 2 the other. But I mean, I don’t think that’s the case

12. KindaFatMike

Trusted

If they somehow found room for XYU on the setlist, itd be worth the price of admission on its own.

13. how are we feeling about this festival happening in 2021?

14. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Badly

15. Holding out hope, but preparing for disappointing.

alkalinexandy and KindaFatMike like this.
  16. I was so excited to see MCR this year and I'm still excited to see MCR next fall but if it gets pushed back to Fall 2022 that desire might be gone haha

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  17. KindaFatMike

Trusted

if we get a new president, we may have a shot if he is able to find a way, maybe through incentive, to convince everyone to just do 2 months of hardcore masking/distancing we could have this wrapped up by april/may.... but thats a lot of hurdles to clear and a certain sect of Americans are too god damn selfish and/or spiteful

Cgarnsay likes this.
  18. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Yeah I would have automatically purchased tix to see my favorite band (Pumpkins) headline my favorite festival, but the desire is going away.

Drew Beringer likes this.
  19. It’s just hard to keep that fire going for another 24 months

especially if it’s safe again for bands to tour and MCR re-schedules prior to riot fest

it just sucks

20. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Going in with low expectations, but hoping for the best. A lot can happen in the next 10 months.

21. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Hoping it can happen. We've got our wedding planned as of now for two weeks after this, so really hoping that can be a great few weeks but not so sure at this point.

22. sam_might_say

DRIVE-IN RIOT FEST

alkalinexandy and anotherpancake like this.
  23. wade

*DX CHOP*

I would say once a week I think about next year being cancelled and it makes me want to walk into oncoming traffic

24. sam_might_say

That’s my thinking too. I honestly don’t think we have a chance of getting nipping this thing in the butt unless we have another lockdown of some sort, which would suck, but if it means we can get over with COVID faster, then I’ll do it

25. I do wonder if outdoor festivals will start coming back (at a smaller scale) before indoor clubs/venues really get going again, considering that we know outdoors is generally much safer than indoors. Although that could be negated by the "stand close together and sing loud" nature of music festivals/concerts.