Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2021 (September 17-19, Chicago IL) Tour • Page 74

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 16, 2019.

1. alkalinexandy Sep 16, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 16, 2020)
    alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Basically. And here's an update from the podcast: Brendan confirmed that they were supposed to be at Riot Fest this year.

He's speaking with Greg Barnett on this episode too, and apparently the Menzingers were playing as well.

(I previously said Captain We're Sinking was meant to play; but I'm an idiot so... Sorry.)

JaytotheGee likes this.
  2. Damn CWS would've been so sick

3. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

FUCK

4. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Ugh. I'm an idiot. Sorry, everyone... It was Greg talking about the Menzingers. Sorry. False alarm. I've edited my post.

You missed nothing but another standard Menzingers festival set.

5. Damn the Menzies would've been so sick

alkalinexandy likes this.
  6. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Menzingers' acoustic after show at Gman in 2017 was one of the coolest things I've ever gotten to do.

marissalg, Danny and alkalinexandy like this.
  7. marissalg

Trusted

definitely one of my favorite riot fest weekend memories. it was the perfect ending to a great weekend.

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  8. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

I fell asleep right after I got home and then awoke to texts about that set, ugh lol

alkalinexandy and pauljgreco like this.
  9. KindaFatMike

Trusted

so now we know lawrence arms, menzingers, and Every Time I Die were all booked for 2020 but not yet on the 2021 line up.. are there any others?

weshankins34 and alkalinexandy like this.
  10. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Apparently The Academy Is... :(

11. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Really bummed about this one. I saw Toots for the first time about two years ago with the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Fishbone, the Bouncing Souls, the Pietasters, and Big D and the Kids Table... I mention the full line-up because it was stacked. And every single one of those bands have a killer live show and Toots basically stole the show. I had never really heard them before, but after the set I took a deep dive on their discography and became a big fan. They are pretty underrated in the broader discussion in terms of how influential they were.

So I was really looking forward to seeing them again.

I wonder if they're going to cancel all touring, or if they might do a final run in honor of Toots. Specifically, at Riot Fest, I can see quite a few different vocalists who would probably jump at the opportunity to join them on-stage for a few songs (Rome, Greg and Alex from Hepcat, Angelo from Fishbone to name a few).

Really sad, though. He was one of the greats.

weshankins34 and theasteriskera like this.
  12. KindaFatMike

Trusted

that would be legendary.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  13. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Nothing else that I'm aware of (beyond TAI that @Daniel182 noted above). But I'm going to be keeping an ear out.

I have a ticket to that NOFX "livestream" with Fishbone, Bad Cop/Bad Cop, and Get Dead this weekend. Maybe somebody will slip up and say something about it, hah.

Definitely! I thought it was really cool when No Use For A Name did something like that after Tony passed away. It wasn't a full tour, but during a few of those Fat Wreck anniversary shows they played sets with different singers taking on a few songs each. It can be done really tastefully if it's people the artist really respected/was friends with and even just artists who admired them.

But I also totally get it when bands just say "We won't ever play again."

So I'm not even saying I want it to happen. But I'd think it'd be cool if it did.

14. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

So both SP and Dirty Heads got announced for this fest that’s happening Riot Fest weekend. My guess is that SP is closing out the 19th at Riot?

EDIT: SP’s website states they’re playing the 17th at Riot. Nvm

15. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

The new We Are The Union video has a shot of somebody looking at a calendar of September 2020 with what looks like cancel tour dates. Riot Fest is on the calendar, X'ed out along with shows with the Toasters, the Suicide Machines, and Omnigone...

I'm guessing they were meant to play. Of course, this is all balanced out by a clearly trolling "Op Ivy Reunion" on the 12th that's also crossed out so. Who knows. Hah.

theasteriskera and JaytotheGee like this.
  16. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

idk, every member of Op Ivy appeared as a co-writer in this MGK pop punk album
    2B5D67A7-1641-411E-8253-A604544611BE.jpeg

alkalinexandy and JaytotheGee like this.
  17. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

18. theasteriskera Sep 25, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 25, 2020)
    theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I haven’t listened & didn’t consider that, wow haha

edit: the chorus is the same as Op Ivy’s “Knowledge”. I was getting my hopes up

19. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I would assume it's a sample. I actually breezed through that album track-by-track last night and I'm convinced after looking at that list of writers on each track that there's uncredited ghostwriters all over it.

theasteriskera likes this.
  20. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

After a first listen I feel the same way

21. sam_might_say

22. Tifoil

ñ

23. Cmoney86

Trusted

120480136_3317683081680466_646667532230511631_o.jpg

bd007h and alkalinexandy like this.
  24. sam_might_say

So it looks like The Postal Service is teasing a comeback? They seem more like Lolla territory, but how dope would it be if Riot got them?

25. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I'd be into it. They're a perfect headliner for me in that I'd be totally content watching a full set, just a couple songs, or none at all.

I definitely think they're more Lollapalooza territory, but by the same token? At Lolla they would probably be direct support for somebody else whereas at Riot Fest? They'd most likely be a headliner.

KindaFatMike likes this.