Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2021 (September 17-19, Chicago IL) Tour • Page 5

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 16, 2019.

1. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, that about lines up with what I was thinking. They would definitely be a "main stage" headliner. I do think a sizeable reunion could knock them to #2 (My Chemical Romance but they would definitely close out whatever stage they are on... And I would imagine Riot Fest would have enough flexibility to put whatever reunion they have on another day if that were the case.

weshankins34 likes this.
  2. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Also would recommend staying in Wrigleyville. @JaytotheGee and I stayed a block off the main road and it was cool being that close to hotspots, but still quiet at night.

3. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I should clarify, I meant be billed #1.

4. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

The Cure * The Strokes * Bauhaus

yes? no?

edit: also, festivals aren't apples to apples all the time. Ice Cube was like 18th billed at Riot Fest and a sub-headliner the following April at Coachella. A lot of billing spots is just negotiation.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  5. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Is there any reason Foo Fighters can't play?

6. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I suggested them a while back but now my opinion has changed. I think they have a pretty high price tag. Also, they are way more likely to play Lollapalooza again (Them Crooked Vultures played their first show at an aftershow in 2009, headlined in 2011, played an aftershow in 2017) and are due to headline again one of these years. I feel like for them it's either Lollapalooza or they play two nights at Wrigley and make more money than if they played Riot.

weshankins34 and alkalinexandy like this.
  7. you vandal

Regular

shocked at the wrigleyville love

Ben Buchnat and MexicanGuitars like this.
  8. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Feasible, assuming the Cure are planning to be active in 2020. Though I don't really see them going for the Cure and Bauhaus in the same year. It feels too... Not Riot Fest-y looking at it. And Bauhaus has a few shows coming up which makes them less of a get.

Given that No Doubt teased Tragic Kingdom shows next year, I think we might have a better shot at:

The Cure * No Doubt * The Strokes

Highly unlikely but also wondering if the following is a possibility:

The Cure * My Chemical Romance * No Doubt

I think Foo Fighters are out for the reason @ItsAndrew called out. That and the fact that Foo Fighters have their own mini-festival in early October every year (CalJam).

They are the kind of band who might do Riot Fest just because "the line-up is cool," and they could still make a decent paycheck... But I think that only happens if Chris Schifflet plays solo the year before they're booked or something and the line-up is something Dave flips his shit over when it's brought to his attention.

9. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

Gwen is touring solo, right? With that, I doubt they'd pay that much just to book a No Doubt one off. Cure/Strokes/MCR is WAAAY too big for Riot Fest. We're never going to see (in my opinion only) headliners like we saw in 2015 again via No Doubt and SoaD. Modest wasn't a huge #3 but booking Prodigy for their only North American shows + Ice Cube's first post Straight Outta Compton show were not cheap.

Regarding Bauhaus and The Cure being too new wave-y? If The Cure and The National weren't, I don't see how those two would be, especially if you balance the rest of the lineup out with like Mastodon/Primus/etc offering alternatives at night.

10. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Adrian Young posted the album cover on Instagram and said: “Tragic Kingdom is 24-years-old! Great memories of that record and tour. Let’s do some shows to celebrate the 25th next year! #tk25tour?”

So it's not confirmed. And it may be just him trying to get something going, but... Seems more likely than it did before. And FWIW, when they had No Doubt that one year that wasn't a one-off so much as one of like, four shows they did that year.

Good point about the size of the headliners (the Cure/MCR/No Doubt), but I was really just talking about how cool that would look on a poster. Haha.

I wasn't saying they were "too new wave-y" so much as how the top 3 doesn't look Riot Fest-y when it's mapped out to that, which I guess would be a roundabout way of saying that... But. You're right. Balancing that out with an undercard would really help with that.

Gotta stop thinking about those top 3's in a vacuum. Especially after this year's line-up!

Rusty_Shackleford likes this.
  11. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I'd imagine No Doubt is for sure

Curious why?

12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

If this was the trio of headliners I will be heartbroken, that would be too good to be true

13. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

Although it probably won't happen, i would be be so happy if we get a full album play of PATD's A Fever You Can't Sweat Out. It turns 15 next year.

pauljgreco likes this.
  14. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I’m lowkey hoping for Fall Out Boy doing it purely out of their love for Chicago, but recognise they are probably much too big.

15. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Fall Out Boy is playing Wrigley Field with Green Day one month earlier.

weshankins34 likes this.
  16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

damn, we get that tour in June in the UK so I assumed it was beforehand for you, not after!

hmmmm.

Daniel182 likes this.
  17. chelsealouanne

Regular

Her Las Vegas residency ends in May next year, a few months before Riot Fest. She also has been doing a bunch of one-offs here and there, and I can't see why not have No Doubt play Riot, and maybe even do some hometown/California special dates. If something does come of it, I will be flying to see ir wherever!

18. you vandal

Regular

The bars are all kind of douchey and filled with bros.

19. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Ya Wrigley is a hard no and I say this as a Cubs fan.

20. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

What is Oak Park like? Someone recommended staying there cause it will be cheap but obvs depends how easy it is to get to/from and is it shady?

21. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Most of Oak Park is really leafy (read: high income) but I don’t know how easy it would be to get there. I suppose you could take the Green line to the California bus or something as a decent option

22. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

I live close, it's a great area and very safe too. It looks a bit like a college town, for me at least. It's not too far from Douglas Park.

23. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Oak Park is definitely far from Douglas Park. It takes me about an hour to get there (to the entrance) via public transportation and I live only 25 minutes away.

24. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I guess I only really hang out at Gman and Metro in the area but yeah that makes sense otherwise lol

25. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

cheers all. It is a long time away so I am still researching but it’s good to have input from people who live in or know the area.