Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2021 (September 17-19, Chicago IL) Tour • Page 53

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 16, 2019.

1. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

I really doubt they'll release any kind of lineup info along with the cancellation given that it will raise hopes that the exact same bands will be set to play in 2021. While I'm sure a lot of them will, making any kind of commitment like that a year and a half in advance seems like a stretch for the vast majority of Riotfest sized bands. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to know who was going to play, but I don't see that happening.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  2. They're gonna be like "sorry yeah the fest is cancelled this year, but to cheer you up we're gonna announce the headliners for 2021 now: My Chemical Romance, Operation Ivy, and SMASH MOUTH" and we can all celebrate and wait patiently for next year

3. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

Well, Pritzker is saying that there would be no concerts until a vaccine is distributed and it looks like that won't happen for the next 4-5 months, and even after it does come out, it would take awhile to be distributed.

So my question is: Does anyone here still believe that Riot Fest would go on as planned this year?

4. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I don't think so.

pauljgreco likes this.
  5. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Pitchfork in July cancelled and Lollapalooza in August is very likely cancelled (they are announcing their decision at the end of the month. The Grant Park Music Festival which runs until mid August cancelled. If events both bigger and smaller are cancelling that are happening just weeks before Riot, I cannot see it happening unless a vaccine magically appears.

6. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

At this point, the only announcement I'm expecting for this year is a cancellation. Even with things "re-opening," I very much doubt anything the size of Riot Fest will be able to happen this year.

Even if it's legally allowable? I just don't see people turning out for it.

I actually think we're going to have to wait another 2-3 weeks for any sort of announcement. I would imagine they're trying to see if they might be able to secure acts for 2021 from this year's line-up to make some sort of announcement.

It would be good if they could at least announce the headliners and dates for next year if they're saying it's not happening this year... Especially since they probably already sold a bunch for MCR.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  7. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Also, it’s not just having a vaccine that will allow the festival to go on, it’s having a vaccine that is widely available and that a majority of the population has received. That takes time.

8. The MCR tour hasn't been officially cancelled yet right? They could be waiting to make the Riot Fest cancellation announcement around the same time as MCR (which I'd guess is inevitable) since one of them cancelling would be a v strong indicator that the other is cancelled as well.

9. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I know they postponed a few of the earlier dates. I think you might be onto something there... In general, I think many of these organizations are waiting until the very last reasonable minute to make the call.

The writing is pretty much on the wall for anything of that size, but I definitely get them all needing to have some additional organization around the messaging. Especially for the festivals.

I am really wondering if we might just see all of the festival line-ups just basically kicked out a year since everything will have been on hold for all of 2020 pretty much.

10. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

...This is probably exactly right. :crylaugh:

11. simonthebutler

Regular

New order and the pet shop boys have cancelled their September US tour including Chicago on the 18th

12. KindaFatMike

Trusted

Its going to be fun when half the population refuses to take it

13. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

"BuT tHe GoVeRnMeNt WiLl UsE tHe VaCcInE tO tRaCk Me" they'll say, while Google & Facebook have their location at all times because they voluntarily gave it to them...

14. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

They can put a 5G antenna near by for an idiot-free Riot Fest experience.

15. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

Let's start a petition now!!

16. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

17. Tifoil

ñ

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  18. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

It will be real awkward for them when Lolla cancels this week and they’re out here still giving away tickets.

19. emojedi

Trusted

20. ItsAndrew May 26, 2020
    (Last edited: May 26, 2020)
    ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I feel like if that’s the case they should make it clear. There are people who can’t or won’t go this year (if it somehow happens) but would enter if it was for 2021, and there are people who can’t go in 2021. Some clarity would be nice.

yeahrightdude likes this.
  21. alkalinexandy May 26, 2020
    (Last edited: May 26, 2020)
    alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Given the timing of the two festivals, if Lolla is making an announcement this week... I'm sure we'll hear something 1-2 weeks from the Lolla announcement.

Making "the call" to cancel, postpone, etc. isn't as easy as flipping a switch. I'd also imagine that most of these festivals that are postponing a full year are trying to see if they can lock in artists from this year for next, solidify dates for 2021 to be sure they can offer people the opportunity to just carryover passes that have already been purchased and the like. Riot Fest also has the added wrinkle of being tied in as part of the MCR reunion.

I really don't begrudge any band, festival, promoter, whatever for waiting until the very last feasible minute to make the call, hoping for some sort of miracle. After seeing a few festivals make preliminary announcements about cancelling with statements like "It's not happening; more info about refunds to come!" and seeing the resulting social media insanity... I'm okay with groups waiting until they have a full plan in place as far as refunds are concerned.

It's really no skin off my back. I've already bought my ticket and reserved my hotel. And I've already resigned to it not happening; it's just a matter of whether or not I have to cancel my reservation today or like, 2-4 weeks from now or whatever.

Knifeparty, pauljgreco and Daniel182 like this.
  22. Cmoney86

Trusted

coachella is asking people on this years lineup to play next year so it looks like the postponed dates will be cancelled as well. so no way riot fest happens

23. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Lolla could be finalizing the 2021 lineup and announce that in lieu of this year ala Primavera Sound

24. Tifoil

ñ

I would love if Riot did the same

25. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I honestly suspect most of the festivals for 2020 are probably doing something similar.

But will that "kill the buzz" for a full festival line-up to be announced over a year in advance? I'm not sure how much that would or would not impact things in terms of the excitement people would have for it.