Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2021 (September 17-19, Chicago IL) Tour • Page 51

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 16, 2019.

1. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Nothing happens until a vaccine. No way to pussy foot it

2. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Just lost our first two street festivals for the summer - Do Division and West Fest.

3. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

:(

4. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

I would be fucking shocked if the States waited until Fall 2021 to start doing shows again.

5. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I feel like it's going to be a rolling sort of thing with concerts/events returning by size and by location. Like, I think relatively small events will start to happen first, but something as big as Lolla, P4K, Riot, etc in a big city like Chicago that is hit hard may not happen right away. This is the issue most sports are trying to navigate as well. Probably won't have fans attending right away, but if smaller events are possible, then you can have the several hundred people needed for each team, media, league, and officials to run a game.

alkalinexandy and pauljgreco like this.
  6. domotime2

I would be too if the last month didn't happen. Nothing shocks me anymore

7. Frobert

Regular

I don't think we necessarily need a vaccine to have concerts resume. We just need to develop treatments that prevent people from seriously getting sick and dying. That could come a lot sooner than a vaccine, one would hope.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  8. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Well, I think a treatment and a quicker/more adequate way to test for it would go a long way in helping things get back to normal.

That being said? Even if we get that by, say, July... Will people be ready to travel and spend a day surrounded by people at a large festival? Will festivals be willing to take the risk of being the epicenter of another spike?

I'm relatively optimistic about us figuring out a solution (however, temporary) that will allow things to get back to some semblance of normalcy (bars/restaurants opening fully again, for example). But I'm growing less and less convinced that it's something people, including festival organizers, will be willing to take the risk on.

A lot can change, but would temporary treatments and testing be enough change for events of that scale? Probably not.

I'm sticking to my original thinking of "Hey, a lot can change between now and then--let's see!" because it can. But I'm not holding my breath because there are so many factors above and beyond "Will we have a way to treat it?" This whole thing is going to impact the way people think about large social gatherings for a while, I think.

domotime2 likes this.
  9. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Just saw the first September festival cancel (Life is Beautiful). I have no expectation of seeing live music this year.

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  10. ALT/MSC/FAN

At least not of this size and magnitude.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  11. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I do think people are a little delusional if they aren't even considering the possibility that the fest could be cancelled. The Riot Fest subreddit back in March banned all Coronavirus related posts saying it's too far away but now I don't think you can talk like that. It's almost 4 months away and we're hearing that large events this year should be cancelled. People who have booked flights and hotels need to start looking at how to get refunds so if (or, honestly, when) the time comes they are prepared and can get their money back. Prepare for it to be cancelled and if things somehow change, that's great, but don't set your hopes up and then be super disappointed when this doesn't happen (speaking more to the subreddit with that statement).

12. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I think everyone in here is considering the possibility this will be canceled, though.

bradpetrik likes this.
  13. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

True, I was more speaking about people not on here, because I'm seeing people not considering that possibility.

Daniel182 likes this.
  14. domotime2

Riotfest is 100% definitely not happening in 2020

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  15. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

And neither is pitchfork or Lolla. Gonna be a boring Chicago summer.

16. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

Gonna be a boring everywhere summer

17. ALT/MSC/FAN

I'll consider it a win if we can at least get back into clubs by the end of 2020. Holding my breath on literally any hopes until next year though.

Cgarnsay likes this.
  18. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

I definitely think we're going to see a return to live music before the end of summer/early fall. Maybe even bigger club shows.

But I don't think we'll be seeing any major festivals or arena shows. And not necessarily directly because of the pandemic or risk of it, but even if things get back to "normal" in terms of what we are able to by July? The economic impact will still be in play, the event planners likely won't have the time needed to plan out the festival, certain bands are likely to drop out, etc. And for the arena shows, there's the whole "rehearsal / light show' thing referenced in that FOB article.

It's a much riskier venture than a band playing a club show a few states away from their home.

But hey. Enough with the negativity...

So, 2021's gonna be the OpIvy year, right?

19. ItsAndrew Apr 22, 2020
    (Last edited: Apr 22, 2020)
    ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Assuming the festival is cancelled this year, do you all think they will try and keep most of the same lineup for next year?

20. Tifoil

ñ

I would hope they will try to at least have My Chemical Romance for next year.

To be honest, I would love to see the lineup for this year even if this is going to be cancelled.

weshankins34 likes this.
  21. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

If it gets cancelled, I suspect that My Chemical Romance will remain one of the headliners. Because I'm pretty sure, at this point, that their entire tour is going to get cancelled. So the whole thing is just going to get pushed out a year.

I can see the rest of the line-up being a combination of bands that were going to play in 2020 and other bands. I'm sure some bands will have to cancel, won't be active in 2021, etc. A lot can happen in a year.

At this point, we may not even get a line-up. I hope we do, just out of curiosity I'd like to see what it would have looked like, even if it ultimately doesn't happen... But I'm not holding my breath.

22. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Spring Awakening is now canceled.

23. Tifoil

ñ

Kuma's Fest is cancelled now. It was 2 weeks before Riot, so I'm here just waiting for the inevitable

pauljgreco likes this.
  24. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

obviously depends a lot on who is and isn't touring fall 2021 and/or touring internationally, but for the most part I think so

25. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

It feels like 2020 is going to be a wash. And 2021 will be filled with whatever we were supposed to get this year as far as tours and festivals are concerned.

So far, PRB looks largely the same as it was going to in 2020.