Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2021 (September 17-19, Chicago IL) Tour • Page 34

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 16, 2019.

1. KindaFatMike

Trusted

Id be over the moon for Pumpkins. At the ripe age of 10 years old, 3 bands that introduced me to rock music were Smashing Pumpkins (with mellon collie..), No doubt (with tragic kingdom), & bush (with 16 stone) and Bush are the only one of the 3 ive seen live properly. If somehow SP and ND were the other 2 headliners, id be checking off bucket list items left and right

alkalinexandy and MexicanGuitars like this.
  2. joe.boy.fresh.

Trusted

Good looking out

3. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

I could easily see them headlining a night. Especially since the OG reunion hype has somewhat died down

weshankins34 likes this.
  4. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Mellon Collie 25-year album play, 2 nights, 14 songs a piece. BOOK IT

alkalinexandy likes this.
  5. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Would be kind of sick if they got a Cure-sized two hour block and did both albums in one night

6. Piercalicious

Regular

MCR with Smashing Pumpkins would be an interesting play, Gerard loves them and talks about modeling their career off of them

theasteriskera and alkalinexandy like this.
  7. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

The Smashing Pumpkins are a viable headliner for Riot Fest. Unless Lolla was actively seeking them, I doubt they'll wind up playing that one... I'd be into watching them, but it wouldn't hugely excite me.

Would they be down for a supporting slot (i.e., MCR)? I'm honestly thinking no.

I go back and forth with this, really just depending on how much I like the band in the first place, what they're like live, etc. I would be beyond excited about the Lawrence Arms coming back again. But it's been a few years since I saw them. They switch up the setlists a decent amount and the stage banter is usually fun.

But, uh, I really don't need another Bayside festival set.

weshankins34 and theasteriskera like this.
  8. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Okay, I'm drunk and listening to the new Spanish Love Songs album. What's the over/under on them opening the main stage this year?

Because I am all about that.

9. natefoundglory

Trusted Supporter

Most certainly won't be main, but they seem wildly overdue to play for sure.

10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Smashing Pumpkins would be incredible. Please let that happen.

11. neracroft

Allright, thanks for the info. Really looking forward to it. Also hoping for some full album anniversaries from:

Satanic Surfers - Hero Of Our Time (25 yrs)
    Lagwagon - Hoss (25 yrs)

Millencolin - Pennybridge (20yrs)
    At The Drive In - Relationship Of Cmd (20 yrs)
    The Hives - Veni, Vidi, Vicious (20 yrs)
    BoySetsFire - After The Eulogy (20 yrs)

12. I could see them getting the 2:00 PM main stage slot to get people into the park early, like Beach Slang had a few years ago.

13. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

I think that was even earlier, like 11:45 or 12:45

14. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, they went on after Engine 88 who played at noon. Beach Slang went on at 12:40.

I could see Spanish Love Songs in a slot like that, or at like, 5 o'clock on the side stage.

I would 100% be down for any of those. OUt of all those, I think Millencolin is the most likely though. Lagwagon did LTAF in 2018 so it would be kinda quick for them to return and to also do an album. But never say never...

Actually, I'm surprised BoySetsFire have never played the festival before. Hopefully this will be the year!

15. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

My guesses-

Smashing Pumpkins- Riot Fest
    The Strokes- Riot Fest (HM- Pitchfork)
    System Of A Down- Stadium Show w- Rage
    Rage Against the Machine- Stadium Show w- System
    Faith No More- Riot Fest
    Pearl Jam- Lollapalooza
    Foo Fighters- Lollapalooza

16. campeondeluniverso

nah.

completely out of the blue, with zero knowledge but what about an Avril Lavigne appearance? is she too big for Riot? does she do festivals?

17. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

I'd be more surprised than not if she played Riot, personally.

18. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

only if she covers chop suey

19. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

This all feels reasonable to me. It's always hard to tell with the Strokes because they don't seem to do tour-tours anymore...

What's the rationale for the Rage/System stadium show in Chicago? Seems kinda random. It would make perfect sense. But it's also very random.

I would say there's a zero percent chance that she plays. She doesn't really fit the aesthetic or sound the festival goes for.

weshankins34 likes this.
  20. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

There's no way Lolla gets both Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters. I'm skeptical of either especially because I'll truly be shocked if Rage is not playing and they're not going to go that heavy on rock headliners.

I also don't think System will be back for a few years, since they were just here last May and tend to have very sparse shows.

weshankins34 likes this.
  21. campeondeluniverso

nah.

Release date: September 12, 2000

22. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

23. CuttingMyFingersOff

Trusted

Those three Chicago Format shows sold out in an instant. Could they come back? (asking for a friend who logged on at 12:21 and they were ALL gone) (me)

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  24. I was on right at noon (watching the second hand on my watch) and didn’t get tickets, so I’m definitely hoping they do a festival or bigger shows later in the year.

25. SPine

Trusted

Would be very down if The Strokes are playing Riot

weshankins34 likes this.