Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2021 (September 17-19, Chicago IL) Tour • Page 3

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 16, 2019.

1. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I agree. I feel like fun. just had an absolutely perfect run, I got to see them plenty, and at this point I’m happy with where Jack as at. I don’t really need more from them. I’d love a chance to see the Format though.

2. CuttingMyFingersOff

Trusted

Same here. I saw fun. a handful of times and I feel like that is something that will be revisited eventually but not yet. I never got to see the Format so that is something I would move mountains to see.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  3. CuttingMyFingersOff

Trusted

So they've confirmed that RF will be back in 2020 (not that there was really any doubt). But are we sure it'll be back at Douglas? I feel like they always announce that with the dates, but I could be wrong. I assume they have to wait until the dust settles, assess the damage to the park and make sure they want it back again?

4. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

They never announce the location when the dates/early bird holiday tickets go up. Location is subject to change, but I am expecting Douglas again.

weshankins34 likes this.
  5. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Ya that exact discussion was had last year too because they didn't say Douglas Park. It's probably just a thing with permits and stuff where they want to formally make sure they'll be allowed back. I can't see Riot wanting to change it, so unless the city pushes to move them out, I think Douglas is it's permanent home now.

weshankins34 likes this.
  6. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

I’d like a change of venue! Is there any parks in the heart of the city they could have it?

7. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

I've only ever been to this at Douglas, but it seems fine. I've never really had an issue with how it's been set up or getting to/from since we've gone in 2016.

weshankins34 likes this.
  8. troyplaysbass Sep 19, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 19, 2019)
    Grant Park is too big and this is too close to Lolla. Union Park would mean a big decrease in size. I highly doubt a return to Humboldt is in the cards. I think it’s Douglas or a field way out in the far northwest suburbs at this point.

weshankins34 likes this.
  9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I feel like this is a joke but I can't tell lol

10. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean, having it at Grant Park would be nice because it would be closer for me, but it's too big of a spot and it will make Lollapalooza lose it's "specialness" (even though people have mixed opinions on the recent lineups, my point still stands). If this festival ever moved out in the suburbs, attendance would easily drop by half or more. It's already in a not prime location, why make it even worse for people to travel to?

It's definitely a bit inconvenient to get to if you live anywhere north of the loop, but I can't think of anywhere in the city that could host this in an adequately sized park.

11. Jim

Trusted Supporter

If it moved to the suburbs i wouldnt ever go again

12. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Could have it at Montrose Beach now that the endangered plovers have hatched

13. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

The residents there also just don’t like having a music festival in that beach and I remember there being uproar back when Mumford and Sons played a show there. Plus, the beach is technically closed when Riot happens, isn’t it?

14. MexicanGuitars

Idk I went during the middle of last week and it was open

15. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Mother nature seems to not want a music festival at Montrose Beach. Why fight it?

I'm gonna agree with @troyplaysbass. The fest is either gonna be at Douglas if it's in the city (the most likely option by far and away) or somewhere out in the northwest burbs if it moves out of the city, which is death knell unless the festival drastically reshapes itself along with that move.

16. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Wouldn't go to this on a beach, definitely wouldn't go in the suburbs.

17. MexicanGuitars

I was mostly kidding about the beach, mostly just brought it up because the wee plovers cancelled MAMBY fest this year.

18. natefoundglory

Trusted Supporter

Big fan of its current location, very much don't want that to change.

MexicanGuitars and weshankins34 like this.
  19. CuttingMyFingersOff

Trusted

I was apprehensive about it the first couple years at DP, but now I'm into it. Selfishly I would prefer Humboldt because it's closer to my apartment, but DP is great.

20. Pokinatcha Punk

Regular

Why do we end up having this conversation about it moving to the burbs? I think it is as likely to go back inside than to move to the burbs. And I think there is a 0% chance it goes back inside just to be clear.

Edit: That sounds more hostile than I meant it. I just really would never want it there and I think that Riot Mike and company wouldn’t want that either.

weshankins34 and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  21. Cmoney86

Trusted

it will never go back to Humboldt unless they get a new alderman cuz hes the one who forced them to move out. i liked it better there then i do dp and Humboldt is a farther drive for me

22. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Douglas is a 15 minute drive for me, and I love the stage layout. I hope it doesn’t change.

23. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

This might be a dumb question, but note this is coming from someone that's not local to Chicago. What's everyone impression of the area? I've heard it's statistically unsafe (a couple random people on Friday as we were walking away from the park told us to watch ourselves), and it's kind of deterred me from wanting to go again, tbh. It's kind of a pain in the ass to get a Lyft out there, and I hated venturing super far from the festival at night where there weren't as many people around. I might be reaching, but I wanted to ask about it.

24. Darth Annihilus

Regular

Everytime I get a Lyft to the fest the drivers warm me about the area, but it's never really been an issue. I just stay alert when I'm leaving.

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  25. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

It’s not a great area, no getting around that. I’m still comfortable with it though because first of all there’s an increased police presence, and there’s also just so many people, the people who cause trouble are just gonna avoid it altogether. Also a lot of the violence in Chicago isn’t really all that random.

As far as cabs I mean $75 to get back is steep, but also if you’re splitting it multiple ways, it’s really not all that undoable. It’s definitely a hassle but I also factor in that the festival itself is a pretty good bargain.

Doesn’t mean you’re concerns aren’t valid but this is how I justify it to myself lol

troyplaysbass and ALT/MSC/FAN like this.