Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2021 (September 17-19, Chicago IL) Tour • Page 19

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

we don’t know

2. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Will bet $20 that MCR plays Riot.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  3. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

What rumors and sources are you referring to? I really haven't seen much of anything except blind speculation from Reddit users... (Legit asking, not meaning to sound like a challenge or anything.)

The reason I've been talking about them playing Riot Fest is because of something Tate said on this site. When they weren't on the Coachella line-up, he noted that he was surprised they weren't because he had first heard about the reunion because they were set to play Coachella and Riot Fest. Of course, I can't find the post anymore... So maybe I'm not remembering correctly or searching the right threads but... That's where my thinking is coming from.

FWIW, though, I could see Riot Fest landing either band. I definitely think Rage is the bigger of the two so, from that perspective Lolla could make more sense. But it honestly feels like a coin-flip to me. There's no way for any of us to tell at this point.

weshankins34 likes this.
  4. Cmoney86

Trusted

Someone on the reddit thread says they have sources that confirmed to them they are on lolla. And the only reason they dropped off Coachella was cus of them getting bumped down from a headliner for rage. So idk but like you said non of us knows. we will know in like 2 months exactly who’s playing lolla. Then we can shift the focus to this

5. Daniel182

I like the idea of just waiting for official MCR news for the next two months.

6. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I'm sure the bit about Coachella is true, given everything that people have been saying since that happened (that's been confirmed through multiple sources).

But I'd rely more on what Tate is saying than some random Reddit user. Haha. Again, doesn't mean that it hasn't changed or that the info is 100% correct. Just a source I'd trust more.

Really curious to see how this all plays out. It's either going to be really deflating when that Lolla line-up comes out, or really exciting!

weshankins34 likes this.
  7. Cmoney86

Trusted

Yeah or whenever the mcr USA tour gets announced and it’s in July August or September and there’s a gap for either fest and no Chicago date. We could all be wrong and they do their own show in Tinley. No one truly knows what their USA plans are

alkalinexandy likes this.
  8. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

I'm honestly now leaning towards them headlining Riot Fest versus Lollapalooza. I'm thinking Lolla goes big this year in an attempt to buck the declining sales trend. If they go big ala a top four of Pearl Jam/Foo Fighters/Post Malone/Billie Eilish
    then Riot Fest can get a nice top three with MCR/The Strokes/Bauhaus reunion.

Thoughts?

9. Daniel182

We really just don't know yet.

10. Cmoney86

Trusted

I feel like we don’t get anything USA based on mcr till March at this pace

weshankins34 likes this.
  11. Pokinatcha Punk

Regular

Here is what Jason Tate said in the MCR thread:

“Interesting. Cause I knew about the reunion stuff early specifically *because* of this original booking and Riot Fest.”

weshankins34 and alkalinexandy like this.
  12. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

There it is! I couldn't find that. But yeah, to me, this is probably the most solid source that I've seen that MCR will be playing Riot Fest over Lolla.

I also think, if they want a headlining slot? They just have a much better shot at getting it at Riot Fest over Lolla.

weshankins34 likes this.
  13. Daniel182

I'm sure that what Jason heard was true at the time he heard it, but their drop from Coachella doesn't make me as confident in Riot Fest anymore. Just waiting and seeing.

14. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

If anything it makes me more confident that they would be at Riot Fest over Coachella given that the Coachella drop was over headlining status. They would definitely be the last main stage band for their day at Riot Fest. Far less likely for them to be offered that same deal at Lolla.

15. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This makes me realise I have no idea how big MCR are in the US.

Over in the UK they could and have headlined our biggest music festivals other than Glasto. Is Lolla like an absolutely gigantic festival or something?

16. Cmoney86

Trusted

Yes they sell over 100k 4 day passes

last year’s attendance was over 400k for the entire weekend

17. Lolla is huge, but it’s quite a bit smaller than Coachella and slightly smaller than Glastonbury.

Infographic: The Largest Music Festivals in the World - that site shows some rough attendance figures (ignore Summerfest since it’s a much different format than the fests we’re talking about).

weshankins34 likes this.
  18. KindaFatMike

Trusted

Circle Jerks / Adolescents / Negative Approach summer tour, no chicago date

[​IMG]

19. Daniel182

I could see all 3 of those bands being on.

20. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

I knew they had to be a lock

weshankins34 likes this.
  21. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, this feels like a lock... Guessing there's going to be a second leg that includes Riot Fest as well as an east coast run in late summer/early fall.

weshankins34 likes this.
  22. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

I figured Circle Jerks and NOFX as the two most likely non-regulars that are close to locks.. Circle Jerks are playing literally every other punk festival, and NOFX is due esp with a new album.. oh, and Dolly Parton :P

weshankins34 likes this.
  23. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Didn't Adolescents play last year?

24. Chickenmcbringinits

i like food

They played 2018. Soto died earlier in the year and their backdrop said "SOTO" and I didn't cry, you cried.

25. Mike Dust 81 Jan 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 27, 2020)
    Mike Dust 81

Trusted

fwiw, Circle Jerks & Negative Approach both last played Riot in 2010