Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2021 (September 17-19, Chicago IL) Tour • Page 16

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Are Bright Eyes headliner worthy if they play?

weshankins34 likes this.
  2. Jim

Trusted Supporter

I thought Jason said in the MCR thread that he was told they’re playing Riot

weshankins34 and alkalinexandy like this.
  3. I was thinking about this today, and I’d give it a maybe. Normally I’d put them in the Death Cab slot, last on the Roots stage but not actually the headliner for the day. However, if it’s billed as a reunion or something, I could maybe see that pushing them to a headlining spot.

weshankins34 likes this.
  4. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Yup. More specifically, he was talking about how the reason he first heard about the rumor was because of Coachella and Riot Fest... So he was surprised by them not being on the Coachella line-up.

And now we know something changed with Coachella and that it was supposedly due to line-up placement. Which kinda tells me that Riot Fest would win out over Coachella.

I don't think they would be headliner status. But I would assume they'd be billed second or third on a given day, depending on who else is playing that day.

I could definitely see them closing Roots or being direct support for whoever the headliner is. But I just don't see them closing out the entire day. Acts who do that are generally hockey stadium-level or larger. The only exception to this I can think of is Jawbreaker, and I think that reunion was a bigger deal than a Bright Eyes one (unless it's truly a one-off).

5. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

The Raconteurs headlined and play small theaters. So I think it is possible.

6. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

When I say "headliner," I mean top three for the day/last on the main stage. The Raconteurs were second to last on the main stages. When you drop down to that level its bands who play small theaters or might do like, a co-headliner in a 3k-5k venue. And they are definitely in that realm (and maybe even slightly bigger).

So if you're defining it that way? Yeah, Bright Eyes would almost certainly be a headliner.

7. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

If Modern Baseball played I would literally cry. Only band I would want as much as I want MCR because I miss that band more every single day.

8. CuttingMyFingersOff

Trusted

2020 is the 15th anniversary of IWAIM/DAiaDU so if they played one or both of those (preferably the former) I think that vaults them to that last two main stage slots depending who they're paired with.

Ultimately though, I feel like if they do any Chicago festival, it'll be Pitchfork.

9. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Even with an album play, though, they still feel like second to last for the night on whatever pair of stages they wind up playing on.

But maybe I'm underestimating their popularity by quite a bit.

10. CuttingMyFingersOff

Trusted

I might be overestimating it. I still think PF is the better fit all around and they would probably close a stage there. "Road to Joy" would be a good night closer.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  11. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Pitchfork is undeniably a better fit, but Riot would work too. They're a big band, but I just don't see them being as big or as in-demand as most of the other headliners unless it's a unique get. With all the social media stuff over the last day or two, though, I'm thinking they have a big 2020 ahead of them.

"Road to Joy" would be a fantastic closer for a day or stage!

12. weshankins34 Jan 10, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 10, 2020)
    weshankins34

I'd argue that maybe you'd be right if it were another festival, but riot fest constantly overbooks reunions as headliners. See Jawbreaker and Bikini Kill for more.

13. GreenDayForRiot

Regular

14. Cmoney86

Trusted

15. KindaFatMike

Trusted

Rammstein making a stop in Illinois at some point this year. and with no open air, riot could be a spot, especially since it doesnt look like a normally routed tour, could be a bunch of festival stops..

16. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I had a similar thought initially, but since the line-up generally doesn't get announced until May it would be a bit odd for them to be teasing this so far in advance, no?

Too, FWIW, I'm really not sure of any festivals in the northeast that would be a good fit for them. This feels more like a series of regular ol' tour dates to me.

Course if the tour dates get announced and Illinois is missing from that (or they update the graphic to remove Illinois) then that'll guide us in the other direction. Haha.

17. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

Plot twist: It’s them on Lolla

alkalinexandy likes this.
  18. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Who said there was no Chicago Open Air this year?

weshankins34 and alkalinexandy like this.
  19. Cgarnsay

Trusted

I believe it was part of the announcement that Danny is dropping events for better events.

20. Mike Dust 81 Jan 15, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 15, 2020)
    Mike Dust 81

Trusted

I'd say Rammstein is definitely more likely than Pearl Jam.. this could just be stadium shows because I don't see them playing Austin City Limits

also, in the video it looks like they are doing 4 shows in Ny, Boston, Pa, & DC.. they all lit up separately.

21. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I feel like we're overdue for a reunion of The Format. That I'm aware of, Nate hasn't been doing his solo stuff or fun., & Sam hasn't been doing solo stuff or Destry. Any thoughts??

22. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

Or because.....meh, I'll keep my mouth shut :)
    "better events", or, put a better way, new events that don't involve LN sharing the profits. There's other things that I'll keep to myself to not get in trouble.

Regarding Rammstein....I think they love AllState so my bet is they'll do a show or shows there. They are a really expensive booking if I remember correctly which probably means Riot misses out unless they're cool with a really thin under card.

Pearl Jam is 100% not playing Riot Fest. They're even more expensive than Rammstein. PJ will either headline at #1 Lolla or do another round of Wrigley shows. If the Cubs are in luxury tax payroll hell after this offseason then they'll probably have PJ do like 100 shows haha.

I'm sticking to something more feasible like My Chemical Romance / The Strokes / Weird Al
    or MCR/The Strokes/Bauhaus or The Strokes / Bauhaus / Weird Al. Those just read more modern day Riot Fest as it allows them to continue showing us a really strong under card.

Cgarnsay and alkalinexandy like this.
  23. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

My Chem / The Strokes / Weird Al would be honestly amazing haha.

weshankins34 likes this.
  24. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

My understanding about Rammstein is that they are a very expensive booking, and don't quite draw enough for a headliner in most cases...

Riot Fest might be able to offset that with an appropriately balanced undercard/second-stage headliner but I really hope they don't go that route.

Much as I love him, I really don't think "Weird Al" is s a top three headliner. Solid closer on the second stage probably and probably on the second or third line on the poster... But not top three.

Everything else feels feasible, though I do think they will try to book at least one major arena and/or reunion act. I'm not expecting the top act to be the Strokes.

weshankins34 likes this.
  25. If Weird Al plays, I think he's last on the Radicals stage. If there's any justice in the world, he'll the get the full Ween two hour time slot as well.