Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2019 (September 13-15) Tour • Page 9

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Sep 19, 2018.

1. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Only argument against this is that they're probably nearing the end of the touring cycle on their latest album and they played Chicago in 2018. And they tend to not tour too much these days (presumably in an effort to keep their draw up).

I can definitely see them as direct support for a main stage headliner, though.

2. Tifoil

ñ

Do you think The Cure will play Riot Fest again?

Robert Smith said they will headliner around 20 festivals in the summer, and until now their tourdates are mostly in Europe, and a couple in Japan and South Africa, with no dates on America.

During the dates of Lollapalooza they will be playing in Rusia, so I think Riot might get them

It will be a cool addition for the 15th anniversary

weshankins34 and alkalinexandy like this.
  3. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I've been wondering this for a while. Feels pretty likely, although Kaaboo is around the same time and could easily get them too.

4. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Will shit if The Cure plays.

5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Their set was so good until they got cut off.

Joe4th likes this.
  6. CTFFEMT93

Regular

Well if the cure does play it would be the 40th anniversary of Three Imaginary Boys and the 30th of Disintegration

7. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

Looks like Alice In Chains are likely out. They're a part of the Live Nation ticket promotion and are listed on the Tinley Park one. God I hate Tinley Park. Unfortunately, the seem to play there most tours.

8. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

They've got to be opening for someone though right? They're not still filling amphitheaters. Didn't they play Riviera last time they were here?

9. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I think Alice in Chains can still comfortably co-headline an amphitheater.

Regardless, the kind of band they are in terms of activity (e.g., they don't do a ton of touring) and where they are (toward the end of an album cycle)... I think that rules them out.

weshankins34 likes this.
  10. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

They’re opening for Korn. All dates haven’t been announced yet tho

weshankins34 and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  11. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Ok that makes more sense to me then

12. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

Didn't like 4 or 5 bands from Kaaboo last year also play Riot Fest though.

(edit: It was only 3, I thought Cypress Hill played both for some reason)

Also, Cage the Elephant is almost definitely out.. fine with me

13. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I mean, yeah they shared a few acts. But no headliners and only one sub-headliner (Incubus).

It's feasible for bands to play both festivals, but my thinking here is that the Cure would be an exclusive for whoever ultimately books them in North America.

14. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Have we ruled out The Killers as a headliner? They’re playing Forecastle Festival in Louisville, whose attendance level is on par with what’s Riot draws?

15. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Historically, there's little to no overlap between the two festivals as far as headliners go... But that's probably more the nature of the kind of festival Forecastle is compared to Riot Fest.

I think it's possible... But I'm going to say "probably not" as far as them headlining is concerned.

When Riot Fest brings in some of the more "typical" festival acts, they tend to do it on their "off" years (or right as they release a new record--and no other festivals have them booked).

16. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

For some reason I don’t see the Killers as a Riot Fest band but they’re not really far off from Beck so idk why but my gut says Riot wouldn’t book them

17. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

The Killers were in my dream last night. They were a surprise act at a show I was attending and they ran out immediately after the band before them and used their gear.

Note: I do not want The Killers at Riot Fest.

18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I saw the Bauhaus tour the other night and it was fun, but after seeing it I’m not sure it would be as huge for RF as we thought last year.

19. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

They aren't a typical Riot Fest band, but I do think there's a chance they play the festival at some point.

But I don't think it will happen during a year that they play other major festivals. It would be more of an "exclusive" sort of thing.

20. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I'll be so stoked if The Killers headline

21. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I'd be down for it, but they certainly aren't at the top of my wish list.

I just hope potential headliners are a bit easier to spot than they were last year.

weshankins34 likes this.
  22. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

The Cure seem more likely to fill that slot, but who knows.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  23. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

Looking at the last 2 RF lineups i am wondering if there is such a thing as a typical Riot Fest band. Their lineup is all over the place genre wise.

24. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

It's all just in a vibe to me. Imo there is a very fine line between what would be a Riot Fest band and what not and it's just a gut feeling to me. It also has to do with size of the band. A band similar to the Killers could play, but I wouldn't see the Killers being one of the headliners.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  25. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

The line-up is all over the place, but if you look at the artists they book within genres... There's a pattern as far as aesthetic, ethics, and overall vibe is concerned.

It's hard to put your finger on, but it's definitely there.