Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2019 (September 13-15) Tour • Page 6

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Sep 19, 2018.

1. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

weshankins34 likes this.
  2. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

Nah I think they'd be a perfect fit at Riot Fest.

3. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

Via @Xpertguy5 in the Misery Will Find You Tour thread. Looks like our first band confirmed is Senses Fail

9EE5E5E2-1C38-40F2-8563-F0F336966B12.jpeg

chewbacca110, Morgan and Eclipse like this.
  4. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Off to a good start

5. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Blink-182, Senses Fail, Andrew WK, and GWAR.

JaytotheGee likes this.
  6. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Around 28:30ish:

"So with Riot Fest not happening last year, will we get the full blink experience in Chicago?"

"That I don't know. We gotta finish the record first."

7. sam_might_say

E19AD81E-37A1-4573-B68D-78132866041B.jpeg

8. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

weshankins34 likes this.
  9. sam_might_say

10. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

Weezer releases new album covering Take On Me...

Reel Big Fish confirmed

11. sam_might_say

My good man, this is Riot Fest we talkin here.

Aha confirmed

12. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Do we think Slipknot could be a headliner? New record coming out, spending their summer in Europe for the most part I think?

13. sam_might_say

This definitely crossed my mind. If they got SOAD 4 years ago, I don’t see why Slipknot wouldn’t be an option

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  14. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I think they’re different situations, I couldn’t see Slipknot there, but don’t ask me to explain why it’s just how I sort them mentally

weshankins34 and alkalinexandy like this.
  15. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I wouldn’t mind it though

weshankins34 likes this.
  16. natefoundglory

Trusted Supporter

Yes pls Slipknot

17. BingoCrossFur

Well, with Blink-182 cancelling Bunbury again (they cancelled last year and said they'd do it in 2019), and the Skiba comments mentioned above, I think they fall very much into the "unconfirmed" category.

Kind of a bummer. I liked the new record, and it was the only Blink-182 I've ever liked!

18. Chickenmcbringinits

i like food

I wouldn't go that far just yet. Bunbury is beginning of June, Riot isn't until mid Sept. They might just need that extra month or so to finish up the album, at least that's what my little optimistic ass is hoping!

weshankins34 likes this.
  19. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, there's a weird "formula" to certain Riot Fest acts. Obviously the music comes into play, but in terms of "acceptance" by the crowd... Aesthetic, attitude, and general perception come into play.

SOAD is a little weirder (and simultaneously more melodic) than Slipknot, with more of a "punk rock" vibe about them. It's the same reason the Prodigy worked but another electronica-type act probably wouldn't get booked.

chewbacca110 and weshankins34 like this.
  20. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

That felt Matt really just didn't want to answer a question about a Blink-182 tour date in that moment and brushed it off.

I'm going to say Blink-182 is booked and very much confirmed, but Matt and the band are currently focusing on recording a record at the moment. He might not even be fully aware (or maybe has forgotten) that the band is going to play this year. But I'm sure somebody on their management team has it locked down.

Bands of Blink-182's stature get to delegate shit, so Matt probably is legitimately unaware (at least for the time being) as to what the details around touring happening ~9 months from now are.

weshankins34 likes this.
  21. Cmoney86

Trusted

I’m ok if blink dosent play. their set list has become so stale since they got back together and starting touring again in 2009. it’s the same set list every single tour outside of maybe a few new songs it’s been the same for the past 10 years. I’d rather the money go to someone else who’s never headlined riot fest and a band I’d enjoy seeing

alkalinexandy likes this.
  22. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea this nailed everything I was thinking haha I even almost was going to say SOAD has a more "punk" vibe but I thought I was being crazy.

weshankins34 likes this.
  23. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I mean, they already announced them after they canceled last year... There's no way they aren't playing, barring some sort of random injury again.

I mean, the way Serj sings is heavily influenced by Jello Biafra and Mike Patton. A lot of their songs have a social or political message behind them too. And the music has more of a "wacky" feel to it rather than the "let's mosh and fuck shit up" vibe that Slipknot has. They just generally have more "respect" than most of their ilk.

I don't think it's an impossibility, but I'd say it's highly unlikely that Slipknot ever plays. They're big enough, and wouldn't be horrendously out of place... I just feel like it would look/feel really strange if it were to ever happen. Most of those nu-metal acts just don't fit the vibe. Slipknot probably comes closest next to System and Deftones, but they're still a far-cry from it in my opinion.

mattfreaksmeout and weshankins34 like this.
  24. sam_might_say

I think from a business perspective, Slipknot would be a solid choice. New album on the way, and there’s a lot of hype based off of the European tour and Iowa fair date they have right now. I think lots of Chicago metalheads would buy a single-day ticket for them.

Plus, I don’t think it’s be completely unusual if they headlines a night. Riot Fest has had their fair share of metal bands that somewhat fit the same realm as Slipknot

25. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I really can't think of any band that doesn't have "something else" going for them who have played (e.g., Incubus is softer, Deftones and System are both a little weirder with broad fanbases). I can't think of a single one, with the exception of Rob Zombie. The general perception of Slipknot is that they're a novelty nu-metal band that caters to rock radio.

Mind you, if they were a headliner, I'd be into it. I just think it would be pretty off-brand for Riot Fest to book a straight-up active rock headliner.