Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2019 (September 13-15) Tour • Page 20

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Sep 19, 2018.

1. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I think we have a very, very strong shot at getting Blink-182 performing Enema. I'm also guessing they do it at Warped Tour, but they might not announce it ahead of time.

Green Day's Dookie would be incredible, but I'm over thinking they might play. Every year I say "this is probably the year" and every year I'm wrong so... That would be amazing. But I refuse to get my hopes up.

mattfreaksmeout and weshankins34 like this.
  2. Chickenmcbringinits

i like food

I'm here for a good time, not a long time

3. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Chickenmcbringinits likes this.
  4. T_D_A_G_A_R_I_M

Regular

Has a headliner ever done an album play at Riot Fest? Everyone keeps suggesting these big bands do album plays but I can't recall that happening before.

5. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Weezer and Jane’s Addiction both did

6. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

It's rare, but it happens. In addition to Weezer and Jane's Addiction, in 2015, the Offspring also did Smash.

That's it for bona fide main stage headliners, I think. But Social D, Dinosaur Jr., Wu-Tang Clan, Bad Religion, and Cypress Hill were all headliners (or subheadliners) on a given stage and performed an album at one point or another.

bradpetrik and weshankins34 like this.
  7. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

I hate to be one of those people, but Offspring did Smash in 2014

...speaking of The Offspring. Has anyone mentioned anything about a possible Americana album play?

alkalinexandy likes this.
  8. Tifoil

ñ

Frank Iero announced a tour with no Chicago date, I think its safe to say he will play at Riot again

weshankins34 and Morgan like this.
  9. Mike Dust 81 Mar 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 21, 2019)
    Mike Dust 81

Trusted

I would be down for a 20th Anniversary of this or a 25th Anniversary play of Smash

as far as headliners, The Cure is playing festivals with the strict announcement they'll be playing Disintegration in full.. Blink 182 doing a full album is probably 50-50 since they are doing EOTS at a festival that's being promoted in part by Travis.. Raconteurs & Slayer would almost definitely not be full album plays, and Green Day playing Dookie is nothing more than just a pipe dream

10. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I am one of those people. And I'm weirdly embarrassed that I had the year off by one! Rancid and Ice Cube both "headlined" in 2015 with album plays, then... For some reason I had blanked 2015 from my mind. And that was a great line-up!

I think an Americana play could potentially happen. I think that album and Smash are both grotesquely overrated but that's another discussion, I suppose...

But still. Imagine if Riot Fest got the hat trick of Americana, Enema of the State, and Dookie?

chewbacca110 likes this.
  11. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like Green Day playing at all is just a pipe dream at this point.

pauljgreco and alkalinexandy like this.
  12. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Depends on who you ask. But I definitely agree.

I'm always thrown off, though... I'd say Green Day are just as big as Foo Fighters are, and the Foos are playing festivals this year that seem to be right around the same size (or smaller?) than Riot Fest.

Or maybe I'm off in terms of size/popularity for all these things.

13. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

Again, nothing to base this on, but I feel RF drops more into the full lineup versus going top heavy with headliners. With that, I don't really see a Green Day, Foos, Tool, etc ever being top billed at the fest. Would love to be wrong though!

alkalinexandy likes this.
  14. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

This feels accurate, actually, and is a really great point. There's a slow but steady drop from headliner on down, rather than the plummet you see with some of the other festivals where it's three huge headliners, two lines of subheadliners... And then a steep drop in popularity/quality.

The Riot line-up always feels like its carefully curated to the point where the top three headliners are a "nice to have" for a lot of attendees rather than the major draw (or it's a "yeah, that's awesome--but look at the undercard").

15. Piercalicious

Regular

Are those bands that much bigger than, say, NIN though? That wasn't that long ago.

16. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I think they're both significantly bigger.

17. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

Unless they were cut a fiends & family rate, Original Misfits was probably the most expensive band Riot ever booked.

weshankins34 likes this.
  18. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Agreed. NIN is popular but not mid-90s popular.

19. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I mean, they are a true festival headliner and they have no issues moving tickets when they play large arenas. But there's a big gap in name/song recognition that needs to be accounted for. Green Day and Foo Fighters can both, at this stage in their careers, headline venues the same capacity as most of these festivals.

Doesn't explain why the Foo Fighters are doing the handful they've done the last two years but... I'm sure the paycheck they got for them might.

I could see there being some wild, out there scenario where the bands/the band's management looks at the Riot Fest line-up and says "Y'know what? The money's decent and the rest of the bands are really cool... Let's see if we can make this work." But that's such a specific set of circumstances to make that happen that it feels unlikely to ever actually happen.

20. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

Foos & Tool probably, but Green Day is not far from the ballpark of System of A Down (don't quote me on that)

21. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

The only reason Tool is as popular as they are in terms of festival draw is scarcity and a dedicated fan base. It's a smart business move on their part to keep that scarcity up. Doing actual tours will cause your "festival value" to drop.

Foo Fighters and Green Day have a really, really broad fan base that crosses genres and age groups. On paper and in reality, they are a much bigger draw.

weshankins34 and ItsAndrew like this.
  22. Mike Dust 81

Trusted

maybe in 1996 but Tool in the last 10 years has been a way bigger festival and arena draw than Green Day. They have an extremely diverse fan base as well.

Maynard tours three different bands and is a pretty odd cat.

23. sam_might_say

I mean... Green Day has been playing baseball parks and football stadiums in recent years, but I see your point. Tool fills up the venues they play easily

24. andysoto523

Regular

Tool also sells out arenas within a day, at least where I'm at.

25. sam_might_say

Okay guys, hear me out. Magnetic Fields playing 69 Love Songs in its entirety (20th anniversary). They play all three days, one section of the album a day before the headliner

(I know this ain’t gonna happen but I’m putting this nugget out there)