Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2018 - September 14-16 - Douglas Park, Chicago Tour • Page 7

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 23, 2017.

1. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

I want to see Hellogoodbye again SO BADLY.

Sum 41, Goldfinger, Aquabats, and Suicide Machines would all be sick as hell too.

Maybevictor likes this.
  2. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Still jealous of Hellogoodbye doing that tour where they play their first two. I'd love if they came to play Would It Kill You. By far my favorite of there's. The only one I know front to back actually.

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  3. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Mike Herrera from MxPx implied on a recent podcast that MxPx regularly receives offers from certain festivals that aren't really worth the band's time, so they keep saying no... But would say yes if the time and money are right.

That being said? I think this year in particular, the whole "90s punk" thing was fairly light compared to past years. Here's hoping it spikes back up next year.

4. Morgan

Morgan

I'd love for Polar Bear Club to do one show

5. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

That'd be so great, although I think that'd be more of a Fest reunion set

6. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I want Gaslight to reunite for this but I don’t see that happening.

Dream reunion for me is still Operation Ivy or Jets to Brazil

SlappinCups and electro haikus like this.
  7. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Oddly enough, Gaslight was notorious for skipping Chicago on tours. It became kind of “a thing” online on the old Gaslight boards. They only played Chicago proper a few times after American Slang

Joe4th likes this.
  8. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

At this point I will be upset if Gaslight isn't a headliner playing 59 Sound lol

9. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

10 bands we all want to see

1) Smash Mouth
    2-10) Smash Mouth

10. hoodrat

Regular

Aside from Gaslight doing The '59 Sound, I'd be ecstatic if The Loved Ones reunited to do a 10-year Build and Burn set. Skipped this year but definitely planning on going again next year.

11. Morgan

Morgan

11. nickelback

12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

So it's confirmed then. Riot Fest 2018 headliners: Smash Mouth, Nickelback, Papa Roach

See you all in the pit!

13. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I would love to see The Loved Ones again

kman22, hoodrat and Joe4th like this.
  14. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

that's actually pretty fascinating to hear. It's true. From all the festivals ive done, MXPX is a big rarity.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  15. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

He discussed the way the band operates these days, philosophically, at length. He basically said they'll only do something if the money is right and everybody in the band wants to do it (because at this point, the other two guys in the band have day jobs).

He delved into how they've been using the mailing list to directly share info about shows, etc. to fans in specific markets before they're officially announced and such. It's a really interesting talk. Was to me, anyway...

But I can see how a fest like Riot Fest, at this point, might offer a band like MxPx piddly amounts compared to some of their "peers." MxPx were never really in the "cool kids" camp, from the perspective of say... Your average Bad Religion or Lagwagon fan or whatever (if that makes sense).

16. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I really want Goldfinger to play next year. They should have just played this year instead of that random Chicago one off the weekend before

ALT/MSC/FAN and alkalinexandy like this.
  17. Shrek

but, shrek

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  18. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

There were a few smaller things this year that "took" bands that I was hoping would be at Riot Fest this year, haha. Face To Face, the Stereo, and Big Wig at that 305 Fest thing.

I'm hoping next year they book some of the 90s skate-punk or ska-punk type acts and throw them on that Heather Owen Stage. That worked really well this year, I think.

JaytotheGee likes this.
  19. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

electro haikus likes this.
  20. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Shrek Mouth

Joe4th, cubsml34, emlantzy and 2 others like this.
  21. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

[​IMG]

22. Shrek

I just don't see Gaslight happening, for a whole slew of reasons. Chiefly:

• Brian has his second solo record coming out, and I have no doubt he is going to want to tour it pretty consistently. He toured the hell out of LP 1, and even wound up going back on his pledge to not play Gaslight songs at solo shows presumably because having just the one Crowes record and one solo LP makes it hard to keep a 15-20 song set interesting over a 2 year period. I'm sure he'll be relieved to have 12 or so new songs to mix in.
    • He is very adamant about a setlist on any given night being a natural, organic thing. They were rather notorious for many shows deviating from the setlist they had prepared as they got deeper in to the night and hit a groove. He hates feeling pressured to perform certain songs. He wrote a real in-depth blog post on exactly this here:
      The Gaslight Anthem
    • There was an interview a few years ago where he explicitly said he doesn't think they're the kind of a band to do a full album tour. Trying to find that interview rn. A Riot Fest set and a couple of others may be a different story, but yeah.

23. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Does this site have a "reunion" speculation thread? I feel like half of these comments would fit there (and honestly, that might be a fun thread regardless). Haha.

24. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Absolutely. Unfortunately that's where MXPX is in the scheme of punk rock. They're not big enough to draw venues on their own and yeah, i dont see riot fest offering them too much..and if you're mxpx, at this point you might just say..whats the point.

I'd love it if they did a tour with NFG though.

25. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Well, they're in a spot where if they tour once every 2 years or so in a city they can probably pretty comfortably sell out a 500-800 capacity venue if they have decent support. Maybe a bit bigger if they were to do the right "album" tour or make it an event or something.

And there's only so many slots on a festival bill for bands that size. Like, where would you put them at Riot Fest? They would have to play somewhere between noon and 2pm on the main stages or second to last on that second stage--probably in direct competition with one of their more-popular peers (e.g., Pennywise, New Found Glory). Actually, thinking it through? The same rule applies to H2O. Hah.

They're in a weird spot. A noon slot playing for 40 minutes would probably not be worth their time, but anything later than 2pm would feel weird. At Riot fest, anyway. Just given the average size/popularity of a lot of the other bands.

weshankins34 likes this.