Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2018 - September 14-16 - Douglas Park, Chicago Tour • Page 5

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 23, 2017.

1. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Well first of all, yea Vic Mensa crushed it. I think actually a top 3 of the weekend for me.

And I think the difference is that a rapper closing the side stages still gives people an option to see the more traditional punk/rock headliner. I think someone like ATCQ or something would work as a headliner, but there'd still be a sizable minority that was pissed because "its supposed to be a punk festival bruh", but I'm talking like 20% maybe. I do kind of feel like there's not a ton of rap artists who are in the middle ground between well known but not headliner status and mega superstars like Kendrick. But I guess there was a lot of hype for Wu Tang this year, and NWA a couple years back, so maybe I'm a little off.

2. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

With Fugazi, I don't think it's about animosity among the band members. It's more of a "that's not what this band was about" thing. I know we're supposed to "never say never," but I doubt it will happen.

I think Operation Ivy has more of a likelihood, but still... I'm not optimistic about that one either. Mostly because nobody in that band seems to want it to happen.

3. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

ATCQ would actually be perfect, and I think at one point I was convinced they would be a lock (after they weren't announced for Lolla). Haha. I'm hard-pressed to think of another act that could fit that main stage slot, though... Eminem, now that his profile has dipped a bit?

weshankins34 likes this.
  4. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Maybe it's just my bias, but I think there's a genuine charm about RF that makes bands like Fugazi feel like it's really not just about the money but because it's actually a cool thing to do, which is why I'm hopeful. Who knows though. All I know is that I don't know. Lolol

I don't think Eminems profile ever truly drops haha he just hides it for a while. He just headlined Lolla in 2014. Once he has a new album out he'll be at least back to where he was then. I do think RTJ could fit, but maybe in a couple years. They're missing like a bona fide classic. Can't think of any others, though I'm sure there are some.

Oh and Danny brown is long past due to play, though he wouldn't be a headliner. Vince Staples too, they'd both fit real well.

weshankins34 and alkalinexandy like this.
  5. Cmoney86

Trusted

I don’t get all the hate in here for papa roach. What would be wrong with them playing? They would draw a huge crowd and they kill it live. They have so much energy. That show with them and rise against in November is going to be insane

weshankins34 likes this.
  6. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

My opinion that Papa Roach is terrible band aside...

It's because Papa Roach just isn't a good fit for Riot Fest which historically is a punk-oriented affair that's dabbled into other genres as the festival has gotten bigger. Modern radio rock hasn't been one of them with the exception of System of a Down, but you could probably argue there's some crossover there with the fest's core audience that Papa Roach or Smash Mouth doesn't have. They're better served playing Chicago Open Air, Piqniq, or another modern rock/hard rock oriented festival. If Papa Roach did play Riot Fest, I'd consider that be heading towards jumping the shark.

It's impressive that Riot Fest has managed to still stay somewhat true to its roots as a punk festival while getting as big as it has now that it's mentioned.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  7. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

In the future don't you dare bad mouth the fine institution that is the Naperville Catalina Wine Mixer

weshankins34, pauljgreco, Ken and 3 others like this.
  8. swboyd

To be fair, a wine mixer in Naperville would be terrible because of the three drink cutoff alone...the possibility of Smash Mouth or Too White Crew playing not withstanding. There's a reason I never visit Solemn Oath after all.

9. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

This. I think RF sort of digs these bands out of hiatus with huge offers and I'm not sure that's something that would motivate Fugazi. Fugazi/Ian have basically been elected the DIY true-north of the scene and these are the same guys that refused to charge more than $5 for a show at the height of their popularity. I'd love to see it but it just seems like a stretch.

weshankins34 and alkalinexandy like this.
  10. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

We have got to stop comparing Smash Mouth and Papa Roach as if they're even remotely the same genre.

Smash Mouth - all time legendary band

Papa Roach - is Papa Roach

11. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

I work ten minutes from Solemn Oath so my jovial company can make up for the drink limit.

12. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

The next person to lump Smash Mouth and Papa Roach in the same category gets a healthy dose of wrath from yours truly.

13. natefoundglory

Trusted Supporter

I can't believe we're even having this conversation

14. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

It ain't no joke.

15. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Kendrick could headlinr

16. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Is this a joke or are you being serious?

17. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Not even remotely kidding but Papa Roach >>>>>>>> Smash Mouth. Infest was one of my staples in high school.

18. heaththehorizon

Regular

yeah cause papa roach has more hits than smash mouth

19. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Papa Roach (Official Thread)

emlantzy and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  20. swboyd

i still can't believe this thread holds papa roach or smash mouth in any regard. both are auditory dumpster fires.

21. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Not everyone is as harsh on things. When I was 13 I loved Scars, so if I hear Scars, I sing Scars. I wouldn't waste 5 seconds arguing that it's good, but things don't have to be good to be enjoyable. There are other factors. Same goes for Smash Mouth. Would I ever listen to new Papa Roach or new Smash Mouth? Absolutely not once ever. Seems a pointless endeavor to be so outwardly against something so innocuous, though.

weshankins34 and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  22. Times band recorded All Star, the greatest song ever written:

Papa Roach: 0
    Smash Mouth: 1

Oh, looks like the debate is settled, Smash Mouth is the better band and deserves to play Riot Fest. Don't make me run the test against other bands (I'm looking at you Dead Kennedys/Operation Ivy/Minor Threat)

23. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

...to you. I enjoy both bands and both of them are great live. No need to have a snobby attitude about it.

24. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

weshankins34 and electro haikus like this.
  25. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

hey now ur a smash mouth get your papa roach on