Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2018 - September 14-16 - Douglas Park, Chicago Tour • Page 262

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 23, 2017.

1. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

2. aniafc

Trusted

3. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

i actually felt like the number of cigarette smokers was much lighter this year than in years past. i usually feel like i'm surrounded by smoke.

troyplaysbass and chewbacca110 like this.
  4. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

It's not a contract that would be the problem. The park would never be able to recover from the other events held there and Lolla and Riot Fest. Chicago already loses access to parts of Grant Park for the remainder of the summer after Lolla for repairs and I doubt they would want to extend that into fall when it becomes harder to ensure those repairs can survive the winter. Not to mention that I'm sure the residents around Grant Park - mind you, most of them ever go to the park - would raise a fit if another festival took it over for a weekend.

Tickets are cheaper for Riot Fest because demand for a festival like Riot Fest is less than that of Lollapalooza. Same goes for Pitchfork. It's a very specific demographic that's being targeted and one that isn't massive like that of Lolla attendees.

I was talking with my neighbors on Sunday and we discussed how Pitchfork was advertising for Riot Fest this year. What if they offered a package deal - buy the package and you get entry to both Pitchfork and Riot Fest? I would buy that without any question at all.

ItsAndrew likes this.
  5. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

I'm listening to The Strokes right now and I don't care which festival gets them - I'm there if they ever play something in Chicago.

campeondeluniverso and ItsAndrew like this.
  6. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, the Riot flu hit me hard today and my girlfriend has had it since Saturday. Great weekend and totally worth it though!

7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Wait wait wait... I thought you would never buy advance tickets to riot fest again...

But joking aside yes please! This would be amazing and I’d for sure get it.

8. SEMUSIC

Are you able to get tickets now for next year? I had no success in finding the link, also interested in VIP possibly next year, can anyone tell me if it's worth it?? I've been going back and forth because I don't care about using regular bathrooms and stuff like that, that kind of thing doesn't matter to me personally.

9. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I think you can buy next year at $99 only if you purchased a 3-day pass prior to their “Ticketfly settlement” in July.

SEMUSIC likes this.
  10. firedrill312

Chicago Industry

Solid fest indeed! :thumbup::thumbup:

11. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

lol no, not just for Riot Fest. But I’m also concerned about Pitchfork as they had no aftershows this year.

12. ItsAndrew Sep 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 20, 2018)
    ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

What are you talking about? Pitchfork definitely had aftershows. Lincoln Hall, Schubas, Empty Bottle, Thalia Hall, Subterranean, and The Hideout all held Pitchfork aftershows this year.

BridgeportCubs likes this.
  13. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Yeah I went to a J Brekkie P4K aftershow lol

ItsAndrew likes this.
  14. alkalinexandy Sep 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 20, 2018)
    alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Finally recovered from the weekend, and back in the "normal" swing of things... Weezer, K.Flay, and the Aquabats were my weekend highlights. Such fun sets! And the Bouncing Souls aftershow was so much damn fun!

Most of the other sets I caught over the weekend were strong, but ultimately predictable/exactly what I expected (not a bad thing; but I got what I expected, so I wouldn't call them highlights).

After all the hiccups with the "roll-out" this year didn't have an effect on their ability to pull off the festival. And I didn't really notice any dip in attendance... With the exception of Saturday night, which felt a bit lighter, but it wasn't hugely noticeable.

Really curious to see what winds up happening next year, who they book, etc.

EDIT: It was also cool as hell seeing bats fly overhead as Alkaline Trio played.

15. atlas

Trusted

<--- still has the Riot Flu

Morgan likes this.
  16. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

Did anyone else catch the Arkells set? I thought they were really good and their cover of "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" was great.

17. Chickenmcbringinits

i like food

I made it to the 'People Of Riot Fest' gallery hahaha
    [​IMG]

18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

My mom and I made that in 2016 and it’s still probably my favorite picture of myself.

Chickenmcbringinits likes this.
  19. Tifoil

ñ

kerosene, cybele and ALT/MSC/FAN like this.
  20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This was us when we made it. It was taken super early on Saturday and I was so stoked that I got to see it.

Attached Files:

21. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

It's so nice to put some names to faces in this thread, haha.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  22. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

This is wholesome

23. Darth Annihilus

Regular

I am awkwardly air drumming in Underoath's recap video haha

24. BridgeportCubs

Regular

I never had a photo of me on Riot Fest’s site but I had my photo on GBH’s Facebook page mid-yawn when they played the fest that year

25. The Sun Times used a really goofy picture of me singing along to the Get Up Kids in all of their articles about the fest in 2015.

MexicanGuitars likes this.