Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2018 - September 14-16 - Douglas Park, Chicago Tour

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Sep 23, 2017.

1. ALT/MSC/FAN Sep 23, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 7, 2018)
    ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

[​IMG]

DAY-BY-DAY

FRIDAY
    WEEZER
    YOUNG THE GIANT
    TAKING BACK SUNDAY
    DROPKICK MURPHYS
    BLEACHERS
    ATMOSPHERE
    FLOGGING MOLLY
    CYPRESS HILL
    MATT & KIM
    SUM 41
    THE FRONT BOTTOMS
    K.FLAY
    DIGABLE PLANETS
    LIZ PHAIR
    SWMRS
    THE AQUABATS
    LAGWAGON
    PUSSY RIOT
    HOBO JOHNSON & THE LOVEMAKERS
    FACE TO FACE
    ARKELLS
    FLOR
    THE FEVER 333
    SPEEDY ORTIZ
    DIRECT HIT!
    THE BOMBPOPS
    ARCHIE POWELL & THE EXPORTS
    TYPESETTER
    BLOOD PEOPLE

SATURDAY
    BECK
    ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS
    INTERPOL
    JERRY LEE LEWIS
    THE JESUS LIZARD
    THE VOIDZ
    TWIN PEAKS
    CAT POWER
    GARY NUMAN
    KILLING JOKE
    HOT SNAKES
    WOLFMOTHER
    ANDREW WK
    REIGNWOLF
    GWAR
    STREET DOGS
    CONFLICT
    ADOLESCENTS
    COBRA SKULLS
    PIEBALD
    HEALTH
    THE FRIGHTS
    THE DISTRICTS
    BULLY
    LOWER CLASS BRATS
    BADFLOWER
    MANNEQUIN PUSSY
    TOTAL CHAOS
    BEACH BUNNY

SUNDAY
    RUN THE JEWELS
    INCUBUS
    BLONDIE
    ALKALINE TRIO
    FATHER JOHN MISTY
    BAD RELIGION
    UNDEROATH
    SUICIDAL TENDENCIES
    BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE
    CLUTCH
    THE WONDER YEARS
    JOHNNY MARR
    SUPERCHUNK
    JD MCPHERSON
    FEAR
    THE BOUNCING SOULS
    DILLINGER FOUR
    THE AVENGERS
    CALPURNIA
    KEVIN DEVINE
    THE AUDITION
    SPITALFIELD
    THE DANGEROUS SUMMER
    MOM JEANS
    BEACH RATS
    PRONOUN
    SUPER WHATEVR
    SAVE FACE
    BEACH GOONS
    JUST FRIENDS
    NO SMALL CHILDREN

Maybevictor likes this.
  2. natefoundglory

Trusted Supporter

So ready. This has been the highlight of my year for 6 years now.

cubsml34 and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  3. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Headliner predictions? Is it the year of MCR? I can see Blink or Fob returning.

weshankins34 likes this.
  4. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Headliner ideas/possibilities (I won't call them predictions because who knows):
    -Fugazi reunion please and thank you (not a matter of if, but when if you ask me)
    -Green Day (it feels like this has to happen someday)
    -Brand New's final Chicago appearance (I don't know if that would actually be headliner worthy or not, but I think it could be)
    -Cage the Elephant (might be too "mainstream" though I don't know)
    -Operation Ivy reunion
    -I do think FOB is possible. It'd be Riot Fest's first time rebooking a headliner. (Technically some 2012's headliners were rebooked, but when they came back it wasn't as headliner status).

I still think it's too soon for MCR.

Non-headliner predictions: The Maine, Sorority Noise, Bleachers, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Against Me!, Every Time I Die, the Front Bottoms, Gerard Way (if he's doing anything music related next year), Good Charlotte, Jeff Rosenstock, Manchester Orchestra, Pkew Pkew Pkew, Pup, Ratboys, Saves the Day, Sum 41, the Wonder Years, Taking Back Sunday, GWAR, Andrew WK

These are really just random guesses based on people who are overdue to play, or due to return. Who knows though

weshankins34 and JaytotheGee like this.
  5. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Cage the Elephant is big enough to headline Riot Fest but Brand New isn't?

6. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Brand New has never headlined Riot Fest in the past when they've played. Obviously the final show in Chicago would give them a bump, but it's hard to say how much. If it was their actual final show, then they'd headline no question.
    Cage is about on the level of Queens of the Stone Age I'd say. They have several really big songs (Cigarette Daydreams, Ain't No Rest For the Wicker, and Shake Me Down especially). If you were to take it at surface level, Cage is definitely the "bigger" band. It's just a matter of how big a bump Brand New would get from their impending breakup.
    It's kind of a strange comparison to make at all though because they're extremely different types of bands, and I'm really not sure Cage fits in at Riot Fest.

weshankins34 likes this.
  7. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Really surprised the original Smashing Pumpkins line up hasn't headlined yet. Kinda thought that'd happen last year but I'll toss that in again for this one.

8. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea that's another one that seems like an inevitability.

9. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

I still think original SP would be much more likely for Lolla given the band's ties to the festival during its touring days, and just that it's more prominent than Riot Fest.

kpatrickwood and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  10. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea that's probably true actually. It would make a little more sense there.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  11. Morgan

Morgan

From what I heard they tried getting MCR this year but couldn't, instead went for Jawbreaker

12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Where did you hear that? It seems weird that Jawbreaker would have been a second choice.

I really hope the MCR reunion does end up being at Riot Fest. What an amazing night that would be.

weshankins34 likes this.
  13. marsvoltamcr

Trusted

How about Beck as a headliner? Or is he too tied up in the Pitchfork/Lolla scene?

weshankins34 and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  14. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I think Beck is possible. Especially if you believe the rumors that they tried to get him in 2016.

weshankins34 likes this.
  15. ALT/MSC/FAN Sep 23, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 23, 2017)
    ALT/MSC/FAN

Third Eye Blind and Run the Jewels are my big wants for next year. Here are some others I'd love to see:

American Football, Andrew WK, Ben Folds (or Five reunion?), Brand New, Car Seat Headrest, Code Orange, Courtney Barnett, The Cranberries, Deafheaven, Enter Shikari, Every Time I Die, Fatboy Slim, Free Throw, The Front Bottoms, Goldfinger, Green Day, GWAR, Hellogoodbye, Japandroids, Jeff Rosenstock, Jimmy Eat World, Joyce Manor, Knocked Loose, The Maine, Modern Baseball, The Offspring, OK Go, Pinegrove, PUP, Saves the Day, Silverstein, Sorority Noise, The Starting Line, Story of the Year, Stray from the Path, Sum 41, Tigers Jaw, Title Fight, Turnover, Turnstile, Underoath, The Wonder Years.

EDIT: Oh, and Smash Mouth. How rad would that be?

weshankins34 and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  16. ALT/MSC/FAN

Here are some record anniversaries to consider!

1988 (30 years)
    Billy Bragg - Workers Playtime
    Cheap Trick - Lap of Luxury
    Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
    Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
    Metallica - ...And Justice for All
    My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
    NWA - Straight Outta Compton
    Pixies - Surfer Rosa

1998 (20 years)
    Korn - Follow the Leader
    Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
    The Offspring - Americana
    Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come

2008 (10 years)
    The Academy Is... - Fast Times at Barrington High
    Alkaline Trio - Agony & Irony
    The Bronx - S/T
    Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs
    Flogging Molly - Float
    Fucked Up - The Common Chemistry of Life
    The Matches - A Band in Hope
    The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride
    Nas - Untitled
    Rise Against - Appeal to Reason
    Senses Fail - Life is Not a Waiting Room
    The Sounds of Animals Fighting - The Ocean & the Sun
    Underoath - Lost in the Sound of Separation

17. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

A Metallica AJFA show would be absolutely unreal

18. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Brand new final show headlining would be incredible.

weshankins34 and Morgan like this.
  19. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Run the Jewels would be so cool. The only reason I wouldn't want that is because they'd probably end up in the Wu Tang slot against a headliner and I'd have a brutal decision to make.

After seeing it's Appeal to Reason's 10-year, that seems almost locked in.

alkalinexandy and kman22 like this.
  20. Cmoney86

Trusted

Cage could headline. They had a massive crowd at Lolla this year. I think a original smashing pumpkins reiunion won’t happen at either lolla or riot but a full headling tour instead. I would like System of a Down to play again. And if they bring blink back I won’t see them. Their set list had become stale as fuck. A rise against 10 year show for appeal to reason would be sick. I’d def be down for that.

Some bands is want to see come next year: August burns red senses fail the off spring wage war counterparts beartooth anti flag stick to your guns Eminem but he would prolly play lolla as I don’t think riot has the money he would want to book him weezer taking back Sunday the used thirty seconds to mars

21. abear182

Regular

Went to RIOT Fest 2013 and it was great fun! Wish I could have went this year but always 2018!

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  22. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

@JaytotheGee reminded me that '59 Sound turns 10 next year. I think a Gaslight reunion show would be perfect in the Paramore / Rob Zombie main support slot.

I'd love to see The Starting Line play too.

alkalinexandy and joe.boy.fresh. like this.
  23. Behind the Barricade

Wow, honestly I always thought of Cage as the afternoon slot on a festival and not the headliner (or even the act before it). I can see them doing Lolla in a few years or some other festival that has 2 headliners but I don't think they're at the final headliner status just yet. You're right though that both them and BN are different bands with different fan bases. It'll be interesting to see what happens next year but you're absolutely right on the BN bump up if next year is their final year.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  24. Behind the Barricade

I wonder if this was similar to Bamboozle/Skate and Surf with Midtown. John D (guy who ran both festivals) would always give Gabe the courtesy call about getting Midtown back together knowing that every year they'd just say no. Then came the "holy shit he said yes" moment but I'm sure this was after John D already booked other acts. I'm guessing Mike tried for MCR and then gave Jawbreaker the courtesy call not expecting them to say yes.

weshankins34 likes this.
  25. Behind the Barricade

Great list with a lot of realistic artists! I really hope Chuck D and Flav get their shit together and play that album live! I'm sure we'd get something from Ice Cube/Ren/Yella for the NWA album. I'd love to see Dre do something but I think he'd hold out for a tour or Coachella rather than Riot.

weshankins34 and ALT/MSC/FAN like this.