Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2017 Festival • Page 71

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by kidinthebushes, Nov 21, 2016.

1. simonthebutler

Regular

I think this weekend almost finished me but I survived and after 2 days of traveling have made it home. What a great weekend, the venue was well set out very well, my only complaint would be having all the food servers on the far side of the park but that is only a minor quibble. Band wise almost everybody I saw was a hit, the only 2 that weren't were bad brains (understandable) and fishbone( who admittedly I didn't know much by) the crowd for NIN was huge, we couldn't get anywhere close. There were also so many people side of stage for jawbreaker just jamming out the whole set which was cool to see.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  2. Totally agree with this. That was the best set I've seen them play in years. Also, nice running into you for a minute!

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  3. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

alright i have to ask.......... how was the crowd for paramore

setlist says only 13 songs? really?

4. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Hell yeah! Pleasure getting to chat with you, and hope to see City Mouth soon!

5. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I thought the crowd was good. People were generally pretty into it. It got very noticeably more quiet during AL songs, which is expected (and not in a rude way but just in a lack of familiarity way). I'm sure it also seemed worse because the old songs they played were like THE songs, so everyone was screaming along to the entire songs. Crowd surfing during Rose Colored Boy (last song) got a little ridiculous because people were dropping left and right but they just kept coming.

And yes only 13. They only had an hour to play, plus the whole MizBiz thing takes a while to get through.

6. ALT/MSC/FAN

I'm sure Paramore could have played more if they wanted with them playing last (Wu-Tang went 30 minutes over and they played the same slot the night before), but I'm sure Hayley wanted to get over to see Jawbreaker.

7. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

What a weekend. Finally made it safe back to Pennsylvania. Still technically on vacation tonight and tomorrow, so I'm gonna rest up as much as I can lol

8. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Still trying to process this weekend, but... Holy shit was Jawbreaker amazing! Far exceeded my expectations.

Other highlights: The Lawrence Arms doing "Butt Sweat & Tears" in full after "Oh! Calcutta!," Vic Mensa, Queens of the Stone Age, X, New Found Glory (after show), Radar State, Turnspit, the Mad Caddies, and the Flatliners.

A few of the other bands I was looking forward to (Beach Slang, Hot Water Music, the Menzingers, Say Anything, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Taking Back Sunday) were great but nothing particularly out of the ordinary for said-bands.

I was stoked about seeing the Flatliners at the pop-punk pizza party, but my feet were starting to swell/ache so I wound up calling it an early night after QOTSA on Saturday but sounds like it was a blast!

9. Morgan

Morgan

Wutang was Saturday

10. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, slight brain fart on my part. Haha. Deleted my post. Had my days screwed up... Which was dumb. Because I watched Wu-Tang on Saturday night.

Morgan likes this.
  11. Morgan

Morgan

I crowdsurfed during Misery and got out towards the end of the crowd and tried to get back in,up front. It wasn't happening.
    I did get really frustrated though that when people were crowd surfing in the back area, most people were complaining and saying that they should just "drop" them.

12. Morgan

Morgan

Long Weekend must have gotten the best of us lol

13. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Or the "mediocre of us," if you're referring to me... But yes. Yes it has! It usually takes me a few days to process a major event like this. And I'm still processing it all/mixing up what happened whenever I try to talk about it (unless I refer to a schedule, obviously hah).

14. ALT/MSC/FAN

Man, hearing Prophets of Rage from a distance while waiting for Paramore depressed the hell out of me. I'd have loved to have gotten to watch their set.

alkalinexandy, pauljgreco and Morgan like this.
  15. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

I'm still so bummed I missed all but the first couple songs of their set

16. natefoundglory

Trusted Supporter

Prophets of Rage was insane.

17. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

so people were dancing? surfing? light bump moshing? not a fickle crowd of 'stand, dont move'?

18. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea I'd say so. I mean I was jumping up and down and dancing all over the place and no one got mad at me or anything.

The crowd wasn't really pushing except maybe the very front. I was pretty far up, probably about half way between sound booth and stage.

19. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

They were fantastic! I saw them from a distance because I was waiting for Jawbreaker, but they were really great. The set list was perfect given the amount of time they had (there's a few songs from the new record that kill live that would be nice, but with 60 minutes there's only so much you can do when you're a band like that).

20. ALT/MSC/FAN

If Prophets ever plays in a club, I'd be down in second.

21. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

They did the Stone Pony in NJ last week. Sold out fairly quickly.

22. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Like @alkalinexandy said, I watched it from over on the Jawbreaker side, but I wished I was over on their side. They did a fun medley of Cyprus, House of Pain, and Chuck D material that was really cool. The band sounded tight. It definitely works live and I am on board. I was kind of skeptical about it at first.

I chose Prophets over Paramore because I felt myself more likely to see Paramore on a separate tour than I would Prophets. It felt like my chance to see what it was all about.

23. haven't posted since getting back but had an amazing weekend, by far the best weather/layout of any year I've gone (I skipped 2016), so that alone had me feeling like it was the best one yet. even the lines weren't that bad whenever I went for food/beer/bathroom.

highlights for me were probably pennywise (who are just the perfect summer punk fest band imo, I left my entire body in that circle pit) and paramore (who are a ton of fun in general, I love how dance-y the new album is). and being able to see NIN and jawbreaker was cool af

24. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

That Pennywise set was a fun time. Definitely agree about that.

25. simonthebutler

Regular

I nearly burst into tears during bro hymn when they gave the mic to Jason's brother.

Michael Schmidt and scott like this.