Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2017 Festival • Page 69

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by kidinthebushes, Nov 21, 2016.

1. KingofSpain

you can be your own dad Prestigious

[whispering] $3 PBR at Gman

2. Holy shit thank you that was the perfect cap to the weekend

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  3. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Skotty's harmonica solo was 10/10

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  4. marissalg

Trusted

This weekend was absolutely perfect and O absolutely plan on coming back again next year. I didn't see a set I didn't enjoy and the bonus menzingers set was the perfect way to finish this weekend.

5. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

Fuck. If I didn't have to drive back to Rockford I would have gone to that after show. I was dead tired by the time we got to the train, though. We were also around some shitty people during their set at the festival and it kind of turned my girlfriend off from seeing them again. :/

6. I think yesterday was my favorite day of any Riot Fest I've been to. Once the cloud cover moved in, the weather was at least bearable, and I still think this park layout is great for moving quickly between stages and catching partial sets. Being able to watch half an hour of The Menzingers, half an hour of Cap'n Jazz, and still catching the tail end of The Flatliners (why does their drummer play with his cymbals so high?) ended up being a great compromise for that conflict in the middle of the day. The Paramore set felt really special, and the timing worked out perfectly again for me since I was able to watch all of Paramore and then make it over to the Riot stage just as Jawbreaker started a run of Dear You songs. Actually seeing "Accident Prone" live was quite a gut punch and a perfect way to end the weekend.

cubsml34 likes this.
  7. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

The Menzingers (Greg) set at G-Man was an awesome end to the weekend. Really glad I live close to that establishment and could make it happen. Getting the Sun Hotel version from On The Possible Past was a nice treat.

8. Jim

Trusted Supporter

how was jawbreaker tho

SaveTheEarth likes this.
  9. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

From what I've been reading everywhere, it sounds like it was a religious experience (and I'm not saying that to make fun of everyone losing their minds over it). Honestly, I hope the band had the same feelings since they were basing future shows off of their set. I'd love to get an NYC show and if it means Terminal 5, I'll do it.

AlwaysEvolving21 and Jim like this.
  10. Michael Schmidt

Everything I heard in interviews leading up leads me to believe there will be some additional shows. The only question will be how many imo. The documentary didn't seem to have a ton of interest from production companies, but their set last night made it pretty obvious that there is some demand for the band still.

11. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

I also don't know what you look like tho haha

For recognition purposes, I was the jabrone who jumped the gun on the pit for Nice Things and got up on someone's shoulders across the pit at the start of In Remission

12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I need to get to Riot Fest one of these years.

13. Behind the Barricade

That's great to hear! I would say there's a great chance of a "proper" LA/California show and an NYC show. I don't know too much about the band and their schedules but from what I read, the only hold out (if you want to use that term) was Blake.

14. Behind the Barricade

I think I went to the "worst" one weather wise in 2014 but I still had a blast minus the mud. Definitely go if you're on the fence. I believe this could be the only festival that has close to no filler bands. The people that put on the festival really love music and book bands they know people will love. They could easily get a huge paycheck and book more mainstream acts but they choose not to and I respect the hell out of them.

joe.boy.fresh. and Sean Murphy like this.
  15. Michael Schmidt

Blake did an interview on the Washed Up Emo podcast and he basically said that this show and the documentary are with the intention that there will future shows as long as people want to see it. He also said he's wanted to do Jawbreaker shows for a good while, so I think he is definitely in.

16. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Slight regrets for choosing MIA over Paramore but I stuck to my plan and it was cool to finally see her after a few years, whereas I've only been a Paramore fan for much shorter.

Also it didn't rain at all. The entire weekend. We did it everyone.

17. Behind the Barricade

I remember reading that and whatever article it was when he was taking menial jobs and just hated doing that. It does seem like everyone is on the same page so we'll see what happens! There could be new music as well but one step at a time.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  18. Behind the Barricade

All hail @Danny!

Danny and cubsml34 like this.
  19. Frobert

Regular

Setlist.fm shows that NFG only played 9 songs on Saturday. That can't be right. Didn't they have an hour?

20. Michael Schmidt

NFG played a full set. The website is just not updated.

21. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

was it just a solo greg set?

22. Michael Schmidt

Yep. Eric, Joe, their manager, and their tech were all there hanging out as well. We were told Tom was sleeping. He started at about midnight and lasted about 30-40 minutes. It was also free. Just had to be 21 to get into the bar. The set was something like this:

Midwestern States
    Nothing Feels Good Anymore
    Mexican Guitars
    Sun Hotel (On the Possible Past version)
    Rivalries
    Unreleased Greg song
    Deep Sleep
    Time of Your Life (Green Day cover request by Eric)

23. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

that's dope, i saw someone tweet about that last night. sounds like a real good time

24. Michael Schmidt

It was cool because it was pretty low key and no real gimmick. It was just Greg willing to play some songs at a bar that is close with the band.

25. Morgan

Morgan

Blonde hair, two braids, floral tattoos. Also jumped on someone's shoulders in the pit

cubsml34 likes this.