Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2017 Festival • Page 35

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by kidinthebushes, Nov 21, 2016.

1. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I would say Riot Fest would either be today or Thursday. If not it'll be next week. But to be fair they did say May, so it'd have to be Tues or Wed next week

2. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I just straight-up missed it! But yeah. That line-up is loaded. Easy to forget what's there and what isn't...

Wednesday feels a bit too crowded: Fest, Guns N' Roses have a big announcement apparently, Montebello Rock Fest is releasing its schedule... Maybe I'm reading into the "social media" aspect of it all too much, but I really do think all of these big festivals try to schedule these things to maximize coverage.

I'd be stoked if we got it tomorrow, but it feels like they may want to wait. Especially since tickets seem to be moving pretty quickly.

I still need to get mine. Probably leaning toward VIP again (despite the downgrade in drink tickets).

JaytotheGee and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  3. Cmoney86

Trusted

This is just speculation but I think from autumn to ashes might be playing as a reunion band. They posted something on Facebook about what 12 songs to play at a show later this summer

4. CuttingMyFingersOff

Trusted

That'd be cool. I recently dipped back into their first record and I think it holds up pretty well.

5. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I'm gonna guess we'll get Movielife again. They're also doing Fest

Maybevictor and pauljgreco like this.
  6. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Those are some pretty awesome adds. Wonder if we'll get any of the other top adds in the second wave. Seems like there's more potential overlap than I would have thought... Superchunk, Pegboy, Grade, Into It. Over It., Rozwell Kid.

Really good on Fest for finally getting Superchunk, hah. Figured it was only a matter of time.

7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm all on board for Riot Fest adding Superchunk. Also wouldn't mind You Blew It! or Rozwell Kid.

8. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah they got a lot of awesome bands this year for sure. I can definitely see IIOI and RK playing Riot as well.

Pegboy makes the most sense for an overlap.

Superchunk usually plays every other year right?

9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I think the last time Superchunk played was 2014. Could be wrong though.

10. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Well, all of those bands (except Grade) have played Riot Fest in the past. Pegboy is a Chicago band, so they make perfect sense. Superchunk doesn't play every other year, but they played Chicago in 2014 and Denver in 2013.

Man, looking at some of those old flyers: They really tried to expand to a few new locations, none of which worked out (Brooklyn, Toronto, Denver, Dallas, and Philly over the years).

I keep hoping for a bigger "rock/punk" oriented festival to pop-up in Boston and I've given up hope. Haha.

JaytotheGee likes this.
  11. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I'm really hoping for The Loved Ones too. That's a hope I keep forgetting about

kman22 likes this.
  12. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

That would be so much fun, hah! I've seen the Loved Ones at least a dozen times or so in relatively small venues over the years but never in a festival setting. I could get into that. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but if I've seen a band a bunch of times in a regular setting, I always think it's fun seeing them on a giant stage outdoors.

Part of me is wondering if they were able to book some other bands they might not have been able to otherwise simply due to inactivity just because Jawbreaker was playing. And I would put the Loved Ones firmly in that camp. Sort of like what some bands do with Fest (i.e., they never tour but will play 2-3 shows per year in Gainesville anyway just because it's fun).

mattfreaksmeout and JaytotheGee like this.
  13. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah they also did that run of shows last year and it didn't come anywhere close I haven't seen them since 2009 when they opened up for Bouncing Souls so I would really enjoy that haha

14. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I agree with that absolutely. It's a completely different atmosphere and it can be a lot of fun to see how a band's show adapts to that setting.

15. Pokinatcha Punk

Regular

They also had announced in 2009 that they were going to have a riot fest west in LA but then cancelled without ever making any band or venue announcements.

16. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Oh shit. Really? I'm always curious what happens when these things fall through... I'm blanking on what other bands were involved, but the Philly one was in 2011, I think? I just remember they announced Refused, the Promise Ring, and Gameface and then it got cancelled a few weeks after.

17. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Looks like we're waiting until next week. Worth noting that Wicker Park Fest announced headliners today: Guided by Voices, Doomtree, JEFF the Brotherhood, and a few others.

None of those names were tossed in for Riot Fest this year, but I would have been excited about Guided By Voices or Doomtree.

18. kman22

Regular

There's only two days left of May, right?

19. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Yes

20. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Yup. But at this point, I'm thinking we might be waiting until June. The Twitter guy has started responding snarkily to comments about the line-up on Twitter, though, so who knows...

I read some speculation by fans that they're holding off until the At the Drive-In show at the Aragon because it's not sold out yet (and was probably expecting it to). Which could make sense, I guess.

21. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

The thought was that about 30% of the bands had yet to be announced right?

22. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

25+ more bands to be announced

I'm really hoping we get the announcement this week, the twitter starting to respond to lineup tweets is making me think it's happening

23. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Just last night I was telling my friend how remarkably quiet the Twitter account had been about replying to people asking about single day day tickets, line-ups, etc. So maybe you're onto something there.

Fingers-crossed for tomorrow or Thursday. Seems like it's going to be a relatively quiet week for festivals otherwise. Would be a good spot to squeak it in... And still meet their self-imposed "next month" deadline. But the second wave announcement has been delayed a few times in the past, as memory serves so... Who knows.

24. CuttingMyFingersOff

Trusted

Well, looks like Bleachers is out. He's got shows in GA & FL that weekend. Kind of a bummer.

25. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm not shocked about Bleachers, although I do now wonder when they're coming back to Chicago. They've got to do a headliner here sometime this year.