Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest 2016 (Chicago) Festival • Page 64

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 17, 2016.

1. hoodrat

Regular

Yeah it was fucking amazing, couldn't have been better. It was the main reason I went.

Underoath and TWY were two other highlights for me. The Thursday after show was incredible and Geoff worked the merch table and took pictures with everyone. Brand New was good but pretty much the same set list they've been playing for a couple years now. It sucked that The Hives got a shortened set - one of the best live bands out there. Misfits were meh, I left early.

2. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Didn't go to the fest, but went to Thursday and MCS. Two of the best shows I've been to ever. Met Geoff for the first time and he was the nicest guy ever. MCS is one of the only bands I could be ok with a 2 and a half hour setlist from and it was more than worth it. Absolutely incredible last show, I'm at work now and my ears are still ringing. I already miss them.

3. kidinthebushes

Trusted

I had a great weekend. The weather was fantastic. I met up with @Daniel182 on Friday and @EASheartsVinyl and @patrfinley at the Motion City Soundtrack after show last night. But these three day festivals are becoming too much for me. This was my third three day festival this year.

I do hope there are more heavy bands on the lineup next year.

EASheartsVinyl and Daniel182 like this.
  4. Jim

Trusted Supporter

great weekend. Probably won't do a 3 day again...im too old for this shit now. My only complain is I didn't care for any of the headliners so we left after DCFC/JEW/Sleater. oh well, still a great time and got home easy (and safely given the neighborhood).

5. Pretty sure I've never stayed for a full headliner set in the four years I've been going. I did about half of Rise Against in 2014 and I really should have stayed for The Replacements in 2013, but both of those days were rainy and miserable I left early. I still feel like I got my money's worth every time because I like the middle and lower tiers of every lineup so much.

6. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

All this talk of skipping The Misfits or that they were underwhelming is breaking my heart. :tear:

7. Knifeparty

I stuck around for The Misfits and thought they were awesome. It was so great to see them back together and playing such awesome songs. I was back a ways but still had such a great time.

Daniel182 likes this.
  8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

They weren't underwhelming, they totally came to party. It was super tight and Danzig is still the best frontman, even if he won't shut up sometimes. They really seemed to be having a blast. And they didn't cut the set after time which was awesome. The only problem was the stage layout which made things so dangerous and not fun. I really hope they do more, but Danzig did say that if you weren't at these two you fucked up, so who knows.

It was so surreal to go from saying hello to them and screaming Attitude and then to have the most intense experience at MCS saying goodbye. I had an incredible weekend. Finally meeting @kidinthebushes was great too, and he came through big time for me. Overall I can't really complain about anything.

9. Pokinatcha Punk

Regular

I completely agree. That was one of my favorite sets ever.

Daniel182 likes this.
  10. Pokinatcha Punk

Regular

Holy crap We saw Jerry, Doyle, and Danzig play together. That is still sinking in. Definitely never thought I would get to say that I got to see all three of them together. Hopefully they stay together because I need to see that again.

11. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I left around 9:30 for Motion City Soundtrack, but it was not easy to leave. I thought the Misfits were great.

12. Daniel182

I met Dennis and David from Refused yesterday walking around the fest. They told me the stayed in Chicago three extra days just to watch The Misfits.

Joe4th and Pokinatcha Punk like this.
  13. floralxgreen

Best pit of the weekend: Off With Their Heads
    Worst pit of the weekend: Death Grips

14. Jigglypuff

100% agree on Death Grips. From my experience, it was full of people who have never been in a pit before and didn't know how to handle it.

15. Daniel182

My favorite sets of the weekend were The Misfits, Refused, Descendents, and Thursday.

16. kidinthebushes

Trusted

This year's early bird passes went on sale November 22nd.

17. Jim

Trusted Supporter

thursday ruled

Daniel182 likes this.
  18. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Apparently the reason that Morrissey was late was because he was waiting for the smell of meat to clear the air. He also made the security change their shirts, but no reason was given.

19. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Absolutely on Death Grips, though I expect being terrified for your safety is part of the Death Grips experience.

20. floralxgreen

Yeah I agree but not when the source of terror is some 20 something year old throwing a hissy fit and punching people because he lost his phone in the pit

21. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

r/music and /mu/ posters don't get out much

22. heaththehorizon

Regular

Such a terrible sub. Every day there's another kid thinking that he is the first person to discover Brand New.

23. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Had a great weekend as always! The weather was perfect and no mud was amazing.

I was mainly blown away by and had the most fun during these bands:

Violent Soho, Set Your Goals, The Dirty Nil, Touche Amore, The Wonder Years, and Creeper.

I thought Brand New and Motion City were also great but MCS I was stuck behind a ton of people who I could tell didn't really care and were just watching so I didn't really have any fun until the end of their set when I got up close with everyone jamming out.

I also didn't realize how poorly the days were spread out band wise for me. Friday I felt like there was someone I constantly wanted to watch but Saturday and Sunday I was getting a little bored at points. Still had a great time though and definitely will be buying the holiday presale again!

Also Five Star on Friday night with SYG DJing was a ton of fun, I'm bummed I didn't go the next day with Officer Bradford and Intruder Green. The last night with Brendan Kelly the bar was pretty dead

24. Daniel182

So ridiculous.

25. KingofSpain

you can be your own dad Prestigious

Apparently he wanted to be the only person wearing blue.