Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rihanna Joins ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ Spin-Off

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Rihanna has joined the Ocean’s Eleven spin-off Ocean’s Ocho.

Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett — both of whom have been long rumored to star in the movie — will head up the cast of the Gary Ross-helmed heist film that is scheduled to begin production in October in New York.

Like the Oceans Eleven films, the rest of the ensemble is stacked with major stars including Anne Hathaway and Helena Bonham Carter. Mindy Kaling also is joining the cast, with music stars Rihanna (Battleship) and Awkwafina (Neighbors 2) rounding out the group.

2. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Sounds ridiculously fun. Hope it's good!

3. Schooner

Trusted

What is this? All lady oceans eleven?

4. I'm cautiously intrigued by this idea.

5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

This truly could have been a great thing but that cast is nowhere near as uniformly great as the Ocean's Eleven crew was. Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, and Mindy Kaling are great. Sandra Bullock and Rihanna are decidedly not so.

Also that isn't really the title, is it?

6. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Apparently Sandra Bullock is the "sister" to Clooney's Danny Ocean character. Is there any word on Julia Roberts reprising her role as Ocean's ex-wife? I did find it funny that she played a terrible version of herself in the 2nd one.

7. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Awkwafina? Goddamn I am getting old...

8. johnthegawd

@theinsideoutband

this movies prob gonna eat shit just like ghostbusters

383whitez, Thursdaysox and Schooner like this.
  9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Great observation!

johnthegawd likes this.
  10. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

So hollywoods solution to problems of female representation is just to remake successful movies featuring male ensemble casts into movies with female ensembles? How many of these should we expect?

11. transrebel59

Regular

This will be terrible.

A director who has only directed period pieces and a teen action movie, teaming up with a screenwriter who used their dad's connections to get work in Hollywood (and has only written one script; a coming-of-age teen comedy). At least the cast is pretty good.

johnthegawd and beachdude42 like this.
  12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Gary Ross is a pretty versatile director. You only need to see "Pleasantville" to know he's more than capable of directing an ensemble cast.

13. ChicagoBowls

!!!!

I'd choose a better cast, if this happens to be a movie like Oceans. Mindy(I have not seen her anything serious) and Awkafina aren't really a great fit.

14. I wouldn't exactly file Oceans under "serious" films.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  15. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Women, minorities, and gays all deserve movies that speak to their experience, but putting Will Smith's son in the Karate Kid or revamping the Oceans series with an all female cast seems reductive to me and the wrong way to go about it.

16. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah, I totally get and support the idea of greater representation in Hollywood, both of female and minority actors and filmmakers... but this "trend" isn't the answer, it's a gimmick.

17. beachdude

Also, I couldn't stand the new Ghostbusters personally, for reasons that had nothing to do with it having a female-led cast... it just wasn't funny to me. Hoping this is better and isn't just trying to make "diverse" casting of literally the exact same tired franchises and ideas a trend for lazy Hollywood to hop on.

18. If gimmicky remakes are the only way my little girl gets to see people like her on the screen, my gay minority woman self will take it. Having a very underrepresented existence in media makes a person a lot less picky. Must be nice.

Ghostbusters was great. Hoping the trend will translate to more big studios creating original stories not revolving around romance for female leads.

19. beachdude

I think we're on the same page. I also want more original stories with female and minority characters that are truly empowering or representative of diverse experiences, but I also hope Hollywood doesn't co-opt this very positive idea (more diversity and representation in entertainment) and do it in the laziest way possible - namely rebooting old franchises and ideas with casts of different genders or ethnicities just to make a quick buck off the same tired ideas. Imo that sort of laziness sends the message that the studios don't actually care about diversity, but love if they can slap fresh faces on the same tired product to show how "inclusive" they are without actually being creative or innovative in any way other than casting. AKA what big Hollywood studios always do.

I feel like the larger conversation around "Ghostbusters" made the quality of the movie largely irrelevant in many eyes... you were either defending diversity in entertainment by supporting it, or a sexist if you didn't like it. And meanwhile I'm just over here wishing Hollywood would encourage original filmmaking again, instead of only "innovating" in the laziest and safest ways it possibly can.

FTank and Anthony_D'Elia like this.
  20. transrebel59

Regular

Yeah, I think this will more than likely fail in the writing department. Having a person who used their connections to get the job writing a heist movie is a terrible idea.

21. @angrycandy, I didn't misconstrue what you were saying. I was using passive aggression to point out the implied privilege in your observation.

angrycandy likes this.
  22. I understand perfectly what you're saying, and I don't disagree - but I enjoyed Ghostbusters for exactly what it was. I didn't support it to defend diversity, and I certainly didn't enjoy it for that reason. I thought it was highly entertaining and the cast had great chemistry, and some of the finer bits of writing were brilliant. And, admittedly, having lived a woman's experience probably made a great deal of the more subtle humor easier to understand. If enough movies in that vein get made, that'll change.

Seeing little girls dressed up like Ghostbusters and staring at the cast with stars in their eyes was just icing on the cake.

CarpetElf likes this.
  23. Hollywood doesn't take risks, they dip their toe in the water first. That's why so many of us in the underrepresented groups are okay with the remakes, because it's a leading indicator that better things might be coming.

24. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I'm really sorry you read my statement and got that out of it because it is nowhere to be found. We have different opinions and that's okay. Don't try to make this something it isn't

25. You are hearing me use the word privilege to describe your observation and seeing it as an attack. It isn't, nor does it imply negative intention or malice on your part. I cannot help that. I am not trying to make something anything that it isn't. I'm letting you know your statement has the potential to say very different things to people with experiences unlike yours - the people you believe you are advocating for.

For someone who falls under all 3 categories you described, it is not nearly so easy to demand "better" when these bread crumbs are all we've been thrown for more or less the first time in the time we've spent on this earth. So it's offputting - REGARDLESS OF YOUR INTENT - to see someone who, (based on your phrasing, feel free to correct me if this is untrue) is not in those groups calling something that can feel so important reductive and off base.

Consider that, if you will.