Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Richard Jewell (Clint Eastwood, December 13,2019) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Oct 1, 2019.

1. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Oh wow, never knew that.

2. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

and that baby wasn't even real!

3. username

hey you lil piss baby

I mean, I don't think anyone used that language to describe that film? I think that's Eastwood's worst film this decade but some people (like Neil Bahadur) have mounted pretty strong defenses of it.

I understand why people don't want to engage with Eastwood's work, but I don't agree with the notion that they are all perpetuating patriotism and American heroism. If anything, I think he's actively deconstructing the American myth of the hero and telling stories about how American is failing these and other "ordinary" people. Obviously this is a difficult thing to reconcile with his politics (I think there is a tension between these two aspects apparent in all these films) and most people seem to approach his work with these preconceptions at the forefront. But there is far more critique in his work than people like to talk about.

jkauf likes this.
  4. Lucas27

Trusted

Thought this was awesome. Didn’t like the Scruggs stuff, but it didn’t outweigh all the stuff I loved. Paul Walter Hauser’s performance has to be my favorite of the year.

5. Morrissey

Trusted

This was a strange one.

The female journalist character is really awful. While she does realize he is innocent in the end, the film acts like she is worse than the person who planted the bomb. While the media was guilty of sensationalizing the story, as they almost always are, the film hates her more than the FBI agents who have the actual power to arrest Jewell. The FBI agents are treated pretty broadly as well; Don Draper literally scowls when Jewell pulls the "am I being detained?" card and he realizes he is not going to get what he wants.

Even still, though, there is some heart to this. Jewell is a simpleton, which leads to everyone dismissing him and threatening to incriminate himself in a crime he didn't commit by continually thinking he is on the same team. If it was just an anti-media screed it would be easy to dismiss, but when Jewell finally breaks down in the diner, or when he does yell at his lawyer who belittles him that he knows how people really think of him, it shows a depth of humanity for people like him. The last line of the epilogue text shouldn't be as hard-hitting as it is, but it makes you want to do something nice for your family members.

flask likes this.
  6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Holy shit, watching an old episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and look who popped up

[​IMG]

coleslawed, Serh and Zilla like this.
  7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Amazing

8. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

what in god's name

9. delvec19

Trusted

Kathy Bates' performance during mama's press conference, had me tear up.

10. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

???

delvec19 likes this.
  11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I don’t know how you all manage to look at him in anything without picturing this image constantly. Lol.

coleslawed likes this.
  12. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I just think of his character from Kingdom. He was so funny and so sad at the same time.

13. domotime2 Mar 19, 2020
    (Last edited: Mar 19, 2020)
    domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

this was....probably as good as it could be? So that's still like a 6.5/10. I just don't think the story had a lot of meat on the bones and i dont think Eastwood really did as much as he could with it. Maybe a little more into Jewell's background could've been the fluff this movie needed because otherwise it was pretty paint by numbers without really anything that interesting to add.

Like compare to this a fairly similar movie in I Tonya (hard to not think about considering our lead actor here).... that's a movie that told a story about a 'simpleton Southerner' who was smeared in the tabloids and never got a fairshake...but told it in a very fun, interesting way. I love I Tonya.

So i take that back actually. I think Eastwood did a very very very pedestrian job with this material.

Completeeeeeeeeeeeeely agree on the shit this movie got over the female reporter character. Like what the fuck was that? Imagine the movie without the character and nothing changes. I'm all for shedding light on the media for over sensationalizing shit and if you want to tell that message here, that's great, but lmao at that cartoonish characterization.

14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Watched this last night and enjoyed it, but couldn't help find it cheesy throughout and BIG YIKES at the Scruggs/Newsroom portrayal. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I knew the outcome going in. I was 10 when this happened, and honestly, barely remember it. I went into this having no idea the outcome, so that alone kept me interested.

16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Watching now. The true story always fascinated me (I went to the Atl Olympics, have a ton of Izzy merch!). Paul Walter Hauser is very, very good so far. I really love him in everything I’ve seen him in

Jake Gyllenhaal and imthesheriff like this.
  17. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Yeah he was fantastic in this as was Sam Rockwell.

18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious