Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rhapsody Bringing Back Napster Name

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Rhapsody is rebranding itself as Napster.

Rhapsody is part of the old guard of music streaming services, launched way back in 2001 as Listen.com. It never got the traction of it’s rival Spotify, and is now competing against titans like Apple and Google as well. So now, in a bizarre move, Rhapsody is relaunching as Napster, the service it acquired in 2011 which is also synonymous with rampant file sharing and music piracy. “No changes to your playlists, favorites, albums, and artists,” says a blog post on Rhapsody’s website. “Same music. Same service. Same price. 100% the music you love. Stay tuned!”

A pure marketing move. Meh. I’ve gotta think we’re close to when most music listeners won’t even remember using Napster. Can you remember the first song you downloaded on the program? I am pretty sure mine was Eve 6’s “Inside Out.”

2. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Lit "Four"

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. Mine was definitely Limp Bizkit. Either "My Generation" or "Rollin."

What a time to be alive.

Bayside 182 and Jason Tate like this.
  4. J.Dick

Regular

Hot Water Music: Turnstile

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. heyCamBowers

Interesting move. Mine was actually LimeWire and it was trying to track down all of The Starting Line's SILYMI

6. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

was not around for the initial Napster but used LimeWire heavily and the first download was either Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit or In Bloom

7. HueyLewis Jun 15, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 15, 2016)
    HueyLewis

Regular

I remember my first 3

Unwritten Law - Superman
    Goldfinger - More Today than Yesterday
    Suicide Machines - Sometimes I Don't Mind.

The Ability to make Mix CDs was a far better feeling than losing my Virginity which happened around the same time.

8. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

I dunno. Something by The Vandals probably.

9. Allhailburnzy

Trusted Supporter

The Thong Song by Sisqo

I wish I was kidding

Bayside 182 likes this.
  10. KyleAtGalaxy

Regular

I ripped History of a Boring Town to my Minidisk player during Spanish class. Minds were blown.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I bet Lars is thrilled.

HueyLewis likes this.
  12. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

I think it was Sugar In Your Gastank by LTJ, or 9mm and a 3-piece Suit by Catch 22

13. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I think mine was that hamster dance song to be honest.

Bayside 182 likes this.
  14. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Napster was gone by the time I got a computer. I was on WinMX the day I got it though

15. dzyjay

Regular

Either limp Bizkit, Eminem, or blink haha

16. Unsure what my first download was, but it might have been "Flagpole Sitta."

17. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Not sure if it was my first download but "U + Me = Us (Calculus)" by 2gether was definitely up there.

Allhailburnzy likes this.
  18. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

19. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

OPM, "Heaven is a Half Pipe" or Five Iron Frenzy "Blue Comb 78" were my first

ChaseTx likes this.
  20. DooDooBird

Trusted

Probably "What's My Age Again?". Or some songs by Lit. Man, those were the days.

21. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

22. atomiccounty

Regular

Blink-182 b-sides

23. GameOfThrones

Regular

Napster was synonymous with free file sharing. Anything paid with the Napster name will continue to fail. Rhapsody needs a new creative department.

24. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I was all about IRC channels. Aside from the one-off song, quality and speeds were better. Napster was only good for downloading one song that hadn't yet been released on IRC.

That being said, I have no idea what the first song I downloaded from either platform was. My most memorable moment was downloading MxPx's "Buildings Crumble" when I was 12 and going through my first relationship drama. I say that as I celebrate my 31st birthday today.