Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Retirement Party - Runaway Dog (May 15, 2020) • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Never heard this band before today, checked it out because so many recommended it, and I was totally blown away. This rules so hard.

ItsAndrew and blast0rama like this.
  2. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

This is really sick
    Today is overwhelming haha

matthaber likes this.
  3. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

Driving around earlier running (socially distanced) errands, it hit me - I think this band is the sweet spot between Lemuria and Dinosaur Jr. for me.

4. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Surprise this album isn’t more popular around here. Guess it’s hard to compete with all the other great albums released on Friday.

5. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Finally got a chance to listen to this, I absolutely love it

6. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I think it’s because as @Jake W said in another thread some people here don’t listen to new music and are stuck listening to the same bands they listened to in high school. People don’t branch out and explore new music so threads like this one stay dead (after just a few days) with only two-three pages of discussion. It’s a bit disappointing.

Jake W likes this.
  7. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Well, I didn’t mean all of Chorus. There are definitely people who don’t listen to only long-established bands on here, I’ve just noticed that a lot of threads like these barely get any attention after a few pages.

8. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

There's new bands that are huge elsewhere that are barely talked about on this forum. Beach Bunny was the firs tone that came to mind

9. ItsAndrew May 18, 2020
    (Last edited: May 18, 2020)
    ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Good example. That album only has about 3 and a half pages of posts since it was released even though they’re a pretty big band now and it’s one of the best albums released this year (in my opinion). Another example is Soccer Mommy whose thread also only has three and a half pages of posts since the album came out (I know it leaked early but still), and the posts aren’t all discussion either.

A lot of my favorite albums from last year barely got any recognition/discussion on here after the first few days they were released. I’d love to be able to talk about those albums more but the people willing to have a discussion or check out those albums just aren’t there :(

To anyone reading this who has no idea who Retirement Party is, definitely give this a listen. It’s a great emo punk record.

KidLightning and Jake W like this.
  10. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Seems like Chorus has been pretty quiet in general during the pandemic, at a time when I thought it might be busier but I guess maybe a lot of people posted here and listened to new music while they were at work and they’re probably not doing that anymore idk.

Anyway, this album goes ridiculously hard and I agree it’s a bummer no one is talking about it. Their debut was a good record and this exceeds it in every way.

11. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I feel like it’s also harder to have conversations about albums / music. Ironically enough this is kind of talked about in the “do you miss AbsolutePunk?” thread where people comment a lot on how conversations don’t really happen anymore.

I’m not good with describing music or why i like something vs not so most of my posts in threads are definitely bland “this is good” worthless posts but it seems like most thread conversations are either people disagreeing or ranking an artist’s discography

12. The title track builds like Narrow Stairs-era DCFC

Carrow and trevorshmevor like this.
  13. Dang, yeah this reference is pretty on point. It’s a fantastic opener for the same reasons Bixby is. Lots of similar textures and very explosive

14. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

I wonder if it’s also a product of the streaming age, which AP.net only really caught the end of - there’s just so much new music available to people now that it’s overwhelming trying to listen to it all and it inspires comments made off of first impressions after one listen rather than repeated plays which is where you pick up the nuance of things. I myself am guilty of this - sometimes you just want to get a quick comment in before the week elapses and everyone has moved on to the next big thing that’s dropping so your analysis is not as detailed as it could be, and you plan to come back and offer a more thoughtful take but by that time the thread is dead and/or you’ve been distracted by something else.

trevorshmevor and Leftandleaving like this.
  15. Nathantu May 19, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 27, 2020)
    Nathantu

16. atlas

Trusted

17. lol nice

18. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Normally I hate 100 point rating systems but in this case

nice

19. nice

20. Jackbo487

Regular

I had never heard of Retirement Party before the YouTube algorithm showed me that Flagpole Sitta ska cover, which led me to 'Somewhat Literate' and damn this band rocks

21. got my record today

3173AA4C-B240-4733-9B4D-E99B6350D107.jpeg

22. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

This record is still so good. Perfect blend of emo and punk. I think the title track is my favorite but it's all so freaking good.

blast0rama likes this.
  23. atlas

Trusted

Been jamming this a lot the last couple weeks (until the Hum album came out anyways), think it has way more staying power than Somewhat Literate

24. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Feel like I didn't devote enough attention to this right when it came out and now I'm listening again and ya it's great. This band is so fun

25. I get the chorus to Old Age stuck in my head a lot