Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Retirement Party - Runaway Dog (May 15, 2020) • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Jan 24, 2020.

1. hype

2. mad

I was right. Prestigious

never listened, enjoying this new song a lot! thanks for putting this on my radar

ItsAndrew likes this.
  3. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Damn the new song absolutely slaps

4. This song is already one of their best and this is exactly the level up I wanted from this band. Now if they would only mix the vocals a little louder!!! Same problem on the debut.

5. atlas

Trusted

Carrow likes this.
  6. Two for two!

KidLightning likes this.
  7. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Pretty good song

8. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Short blurb/mini review from Chicago Reader: Chicago’s Retirement Party will brighten your summer with the heavy emo of Runaway Dog

9. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Forgot this was coming out this week, hell yeah!

Jake W likes this.
  10. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Drip. Going to listen soon!

11. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I can wait until midnight... I think

12. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m going back and forth on whether to listen early or not. I may do one listen early and save the rest for Spotify plays.

Jake W likes this.
  13. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

This album is great. I liked their first album but this is even better! I hope this record isn't slept on and this thread isn't just us two talking because it is so good.

14. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

15. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Sooo stoked to listen to this, hopefully a little later tonight. First 2 tracks are a blast.

16. atlas

Trusted

To no one's surprise, this is great

I'm surprised at how much "heavier" this is than Somewhat Literate for lack of a better word, the guitars bite way harder

trevorshmevor and Jake W like this.
  17. web250

I'll change this eventually Prestigious

The production sounds intentionally "dirtier" than the previous record.

I like it overall at first listen, but I worry the songs all sound too similar to each other.

18. dqwinny

THRILLHOUSE Supporter

solid album. feels like a natural progression from prior release.

19. BigMouth May 15, 2020
    (Last edited: May 15, 2020)
    First listen in and I am very mixed. It's clear that the band stepped up almost everything this time - guitars are crunchier, bass is thicker, drums hit harder, songwriting is tighter, lyrics are more focused, and the melodies are great - but the weakest part of their debut was the vocal performance and that actually stands out more here because everything has levelled up.

I still don't understand why they would mix the vocals so low - it's clear they sound great on the quieter sections but then they get absolutely buried to where I can barely understand the lyrics on the heavier sections. And the lack of harmonies and (I think) double-tracking makes no sense, the vocals really could benefit from it because they're kinda pitchy in some sections that turned me off of songs I was otherwise enjoying. There's just a real mismatch between the way this record hits musically and vocally.

Might get used to it like I did on the first record, but at least that one had that "debut album" charm that made me kind of dismiss my reservations about the vocals.

I do still love the title track.

Edit: I should say that I like the record overall, but that stuff kept a good record from being truly great for me.

KeynDooee likes this.
  20. Damn. This thing really goes in

21. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

This album is great. Loved the first, very very happy with this one.

22. Circling back to this. Fire Blanket is sticking out to me way more this time around, what a barn burner

23. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Really enjoyed this today. Lot of great releases this week.

24. atlas

Trusted

I think Old Age is my favorite so far, totally in love with that chorus

trevorshmevor likes this.
  25. LightEmUp34

the guitars on this album are so good. enjoying this quite a bit

trevorshmevor likes this.