Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Resident Evil Video Game • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Aug 9, 2016.

1. chris

Trusted Supporter

heh funny because I don't think there are many people who think fondly back on the tank-like movement of the early RE games. that said, how not-super-mobile you were did inadvertently add a lot to the tension

2. DoseofTerror

Regular

Simply put, the room designs were static and you were the only thing (besides enemies) moving.

God, I still remember when you first encounter a Hunter, and how much a of a holy shit moment it was.

3. chris

Trusted Supporter

yeah the backgrounds always had a lot of detail which I liked, and the way they played around with perspective helped a lot with the scares (rounding that corner and seeing a window in focus with that first licker crawling across it really fucked me up, for instance).

I think I prefer this style even more in the early Silent Hill games, but I think that's because I consider the combat to be a little bit better

4. DoseofTerror

Regular

Yea I need to go back to Silent Hill 1/2, it's been too long.

I remember multiple times with RE 1/2 when running around a corner and you'd sometimes have to wait that half second transition on to run right into a damn zombie.

5. chris

Trusted Supporter

haha yeah or using the shotgun and the kickback knocking you backwards into a different camera angle and not seeing what was coming at you. Definitely a little janky but it created some frantic situations that I think would be hard to recreate now.

And yeah I wish there was an easier way to go back and play Silent Hill 2 aside from buying a PS2 or something. I'd love to see it make it to the PS2 classics library on PS4 but, idk the way Konami is with there games it seems unlikely

6. DoseofTerror

Regular

Couldn't you go the emulator route? I can play RE 1/2 on my PC through an emulator so I assume you could do the same with Silent Hill.

7. chris

Trusted Supporter

I have a macbook pro and I've successfully emulated PS2 games on it but they ran borderline unplayable. That said I was trying to play Kingdom Hearts and it seems like a much more demanding game than SH 2 so maybe I'll give it another shot

8. DoseofTerror

Regular

I'd pick up a PS1 and PS2 no problem for dirt cheap only to play these games.

Do you remember the game D for the PS1? It was similar in tone only, and a good game itself.

9. chris

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I actually bought a PS2 but I left it in NY when I moved, will have to get it shipped out. And nah I had an N64 so I missed out on a lot of the PS1 games

10. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I've been playing through Resident Evil 5 for the first time this last week and I was thinking it was pretty good. This morning I downloaded Resident Evil 4 for my PS4 and now I think RE 5 is pretty poor in comparison, lol. It's the first time I've played RE4 in years but it's still just as awesome as when I first played it. They totally ruined the inventory system in RE5 and it was clearly designed to be a co-op game so it does feel kind of awkward in single player. Resident Evil 4 is definitely one of my favourite games ever, it's just a shame they couldn't make a decent follow-up.

I'm really excited for RE7, hopefully it can re-energise the franchise in the same way Resident Evil 4 did (I just hope the sequels will be better this time around though, haha).

PandaBear! likes this.
  11. chris

Trusted Supporter

Forgot RE4 was out today. Can't wait to spend some time meticulously arranging my suitcase inventory

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  12. PandaBear! Aug 30, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 30, 2016)
    PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

I love RE4, from what I can remember of it. I think i preferred the beginning of the game due to the atmosphere of that creepy village, and that fucking chainsaw dude too! One part I always remember was that giant thing in the lake!

I can't remember what that other mode was called, but I unlocked Krauser as a playable character on it which was fucking SICK!

13. chris

Trusted Supporter

Yeah Mercenaries Mode, gave me so much anxiety trying to unlock all the characters/levels

PandaBear! likes this.
  14. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, same - I can't remember whether or not I unlocked Wesker or not, but Krauser was the best due to that freak arm he had!

Full disclosure - I've never played RE2 :verysad:

15. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

The series ranks this way for me:

REmake
    OG
    Code Veronica
    Getting hit by a car

16. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Go seek out the Silent Hill HD collection that came out for PS3/360 some years back. Now, there may be issues with it so do your homework before you buy, as I don't think patched all the problems.

17. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

how connected are the stories of games 5 and 6 to the story of games 1, 2 & 3?

18. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I've never played RE6. What's so bad about it?

19. Davjs

Trusted

5 actually is pretty well connected and deals with the stories of Jill, Chris and Wesker in an awesome way. 6 has a good story, but I feel like it opens more questions than answers.

I don't think anything is really bad about it, it's just the game people didn't want/are tired of if I had to guess. It actually features almost 3 full separate games, one with Leon that's more like the original REs, Chris's that's more like 4 and 5 but more action based if you can imagine, and then one with Jack that's kind of a mix of the two. The Co Op is a ton of fun.

PandaBear! likes this.
  20. chris

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I had heard there were some issues with that port, I probably should have picked it up back when I still had my 360. As it stands it might be cheaper to grab a PS2 copy on Amazon/Ebay or something and just wait until the next time I'm back visiting home to grab my PS2

21. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Didn't realise the RE7 demo had been updated/expanded - there's a whole new room and also a dummy hand to attach the dummy finger to!

22. Davjs

Trusted

So is this game suppose to be more PT than actual Resident Evil?

23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Been playing these games for the first time over the last 4-5 months. Love the atmosphere/level design of REmake, but can't stand the inventory system. Beat Plant 42, and I got was assuming the last masion key then stopped playing. Will probably pick back up soon.

Absolutely loving RE4. I think I'm near the end of the castle. Salazar just sent his assasin to get me down in the trap sewer room thing. Pretty much all my gripes about REmake have been fixed, and even though there isn't really any horror I love the game.

So excited for 7. That demo is what made me want to finally play all of these games.

24. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Bad controls, bad animation, bad dialogue, bad environments, bad story...

25. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Apparently they started development just before P.T. but it is influenced by it and other FPS horrors like Outlast (seriously, if you haven't played Outlast please play it ASAP!). It will still have weapons, herbs, inventory management and puzzles, but it will be on a smaller scale story-wise and focuses on one freaky, Texas-Chainsaw esque family. Seems very promising IMO.