Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Representation in Art/Entertainment/Media • Page 35

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

i didn't really see much of a problem with le fou in b&tb either way. i don't know what people were expecting? hours of him? the movie isn't even really about him. he's kind of just there anyway, and not really a great character in the first place lol

Contender and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  2. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

just as a side note for people who haven't seen it, the death note anime isn't that great in regards to rep/diversity. i do love the anime for many reasons, but the second half is kinda weak, and in regards to handling of female characters it's absolutely terrible.

Contender likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Who'd imagine the internet would blow things out of proportion due to inaccurate information lol

Davjs likes this.
  4. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

yeah lol. even so, i think he was repped pretty well regardless and i don't think how he was repped was negative or "not enough", either.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  5. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

for me at least, it's just a cynical reminder that corporate activism is plodding, minimal, and never in good faith. disney leaked that shit to get some controversy drummed up for their movie, by coopting queer struggles without actually providing any meaningful support or representation.

6. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

what did you expect from the movie?

7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I'm guessing the issue is less with the film itself and more with the overall representation issue that it represents. All this hubbub, both good and bad, for something so small is probably very frustrating for those who want more out of the movie industry as a whole.

St. Nate and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  8. Malatesta

oh, nothing much. but if you're going to say it's a "celebration of everyone's individuality," as the director did... just gimme something more than two seconds, or don't say that kind of shit to hype up a bare minimum of representation. it was definitely overblown by the negative response, i'm just not at all surprised that at the end of the day i feel like my identity was invoked for just another marketing trick.

9. Malatesta

maybe a way to clarify what i mean is: i'm not "mad" at Disney as much as I am at the game companies are always playing, like Nabisco with the rainbow oreos, or Miller with the lesbian beer spot. it's just another facet of how capitalism is dehumanizing - it takes human struggles and hops on board as is fashionable and marketable (marketable usually requires sanitizing as well).

Kiana, Tim and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  10. Davjs

Trusted

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Aaron Sorkin Gets an Education on Hollywood’s Diversity Issue at WGFestival

he released a new statement, and um maybe you can have someone other than a white man direct your screenplays

12. mad

I was right. Prestigious

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

14. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Adrian Villagomez likes this.
  15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

100% this. The Power Rangers movie did the exact same thing, literally, and it's incredibly frustrating.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

17. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Possible spoilers for Ghost In The Shell: here's the twist, dumb as hell if true

18. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

19. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I'll watch the anime movies + TV of Ghost in the Shell. Anyone watched them already?

20. This makes it worse, like "oh look, we justified our whitewashing within the narrative!"

People in my college's anime club are making plans to see it. Because obviously.

21. This makes me so happy. Maybe a missed opportunity in that it's not a female director, but because it's Whedon, I give it a pass--I mean, he did give us Buffy. Say what you will about the quality of the recent DC films (I'm really hoping Wonder Woman and Justice League turn things around) but DC are doing a lot better than Marvel re: representation, IMO. How far into the MCU do we have to wait for a female led movie?

22. Tim

Batgirl is my favorite DC character by far, and I'm all about more female representation, so yeah, I'm excited. Plus, Whedon has a style that's good for Babs. BUT, as I've said elsewhere...

A lot of Whedon's track record with writing women worries me. Also, when did Whedon magically become the guy everyone thinks of when talking about female protagonists? His name has gotten thrown around for all the big female-fronted comic book films, which is really weird to me. Get a woman in there!

23. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

2 years and they kept pushing it back

25. Tim

So frustrating that it'll be like 11 yrs after Iron Man when we get Captain Marvel, and still no Black Widow film.

Of course a lot of that was because of that Ike Perlmutter idiot that Kevin Feige thankfully no longer answers to. We've gone from vetoing a female villain in IM3 to getting Hela in Thor: Ragnarok. I really hope Phase 4 ups the ante a lot.

Though, Marvel Television is laying claim on a lot of good characters (Jessica Jones, Nico Minoru, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, Daisy Johnson, Mockingbird, Dagger, Elektra, Hellcat...), which sucks. Same w/ POC. I hope Feige gets to call dibs on Monica Rambeau, Shang-Chi, Spider-Woman, Miss America Chavez, Amadeus Cho, etc.