Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Representation in Art/Entertainment/Media • Page 34

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

3. Davjs

Trusted

I also read that it's not going to be a musical, but that Aladdin will be. I kinda like the fact that they are letting each remake be it's own thing and only put in the songs if it fits what the director wants to do.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I think people thought she was calling Mulan girly but I don't think that's what she meant

Tim likes this.
  5. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

The American version of Death Note can't be Asian because this is the American version and there are definitely no Asian Americans.

But really... we can't have a POC, and POC have a Death Note. They might topple the white supremacy!

6. Davjs

Trusted

Oh jeez.....Well that's not what I'm saying at all, but great job.

7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Re: Death Note, I don't really have an issue with an American remake that takes a story and tells an American version. The Departed as a remake of Internal Affairs set in Boston with Bostonian characters works. But when you remake a non-white story and keep the same characters/setting and cast white people instead, like Ghost in the Shell, that's tiring. I haven't read up on the Death Note remake, but Lakeith Stanfield is a genius and I'll see anything he does.

Of course there is the caveat that, an American adaptation of a non-American story almost always casts white people, and that's a larger issue.

ChaseTx, iCarly Rae Jepsen and Davjs like this.
  8. St. Nate

Wasn't actually talking to you but..

My first point is not that different from Nathan's above me, American = white.

My second point is that a POC having a Death Note makes an even more interesting plot also... that's how I'd probably use a Death Note.

Tim and Davjs like this.
  9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I don't know if this is the angle they're going to take, but Light is a bored sociopath who wants the world to adhere to a strict order and hierarchy that he defines, and he goes about attempting to create that order with mass murder, and that's about the whitest mindset I can imagine. If the American Death Note ends up being a critique of white male-ness, that could be fascinating.

ChaseTx, Tim and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  10. Davjs

Trusted

I know the trailer was short, but there were so many flashes of scenes I don't recognize from the show/movies. That combined with the fact that this is being condensed into one movie, I feel like they are doing their own loose adaptation of this. Which is fine by me because the show and the two movies hold up to me.

11. Yeah, I was thinking this could be a possibility. It's certainly one of the only ways I'd be okay with them making the characters white.

Exactly. We need to get rid of this notion that "American" automatically means "white." I'm American, too, aren't I? Just because America is adapting the story doesn't mean the characters need to be white. America shouldn't be equated with whiteness.

People are making a big deal out of it not being a musical and not having Shang. In regards to the latter, I don't have any issues with that. The story is China's, not Disney's. I'm sure China itself has varying versions of how the story is told. Some people are speculating that this move was in response to the anti-gay backlash Beauty and the Beast has been getting, though, so that stinks.

12. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

"Girly" is definitely a weird word to use for the Mulan movie, but you could make a good story with that material that, in the end, embraces femininity as worth celebrating without saying that a girl has to be feminine. Definitely a tricky balancing act, though, especially for a Disney project.

I'm glad it won't have songs, but I'd totally be down with the end of the movie having a big, choreographed musical number to "I'll Make a Man Out of You," lol.

13. mad

I was right. Prestigious

The best response to Death Note:
    [​IMG]

14. St. Nate

At least just reference the line casually. That would get a big laugh.

Tim likes this.
  15. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

One of the best Disney songs though

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

ChaseTx likes this.
  19. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

lol, of course he is

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

21. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

yeah i mean Sorkin is the guy who wrote the part of the middle aged male reporter going into a rape victim's dorm room and telling her how the real world works and how he's obligated to believe the accused is innocent and not the victim

22. Davjs

Trusted

There was a lot more context to that scene though, and in the end he said he didn't want her to go on live tv and get ripped apart by people. That part you are referring to about how "he's obligated" I'm sure he was talking about how with his job he has to believe in the system, but they talked about how he believes her.

domotime2 likes this.
  23. Malatesta

yeah it's a smarter scene than it could have been, and more empathetic than one would expect, too. but i think it's still fairly tone deaf, partly because all the concessions the reporter makes don't actually affect his "moral obligation" to believe the accused.

24. Davjs

Trusted

It was a scene that I couldn't believe that they were tackling at all, but all in all they made it pretty balanced and better than it could have been. Overall I could have done without it but glad it was done with taste I guess.

25. Malatesta