Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Representation in Art/Entertainment/Media • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I don't watch it but probably Scream Queens given how problematic Ryan Murphy is

3. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I'm so fascinated by everything that's come out in regards to The 100 and how it seems to be getting worse and worse, weirder and weirder, etc. I love that it's being talked about in classroom settings because that will hopefully open some eyes and help pave the way for future media to be better.

@lightning13 posted the Autostraddle list, and even though it's only regarding female-identifying characters it's definitely a good resource because it gets updated with every death. I posted a handful of articles earlier in the thread as well in regards to the Bury Your Gays trope (mostly focused on The 100 and a little bit on The Walking Dead). The good news for you from an academic standpoint is that this year has already been really heavy with feeding into the trope and fans are being very loud and being heard. So there's a plethora of content for you to work with.

4. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Honestly, I didn't know of the Bury Your Gays trope until very recently but now that it's pointed out to me I see it everywhere. I hope the increased awareness causes a marked change in the treatment of LGBTQ characters.

supernovagirl likes this.
  5. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Apparently PPG tried to deal with trans issues on a recent issue and got it wrong big time:

Jitterbug Jive

6. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Holy shit. Everything about this is disappointing, incorrect and dangerous. Fuck.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  7. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Yeah, reading that was pretty fucking exhausting. Apparently they have another character in a different episode that's rather transmysoginistic, so I guess you can say it's off to a good start!

8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

:pantherworried:

I was hoping they weren't actually trying to comment on trans stuff and had just made inadvertent parallels. Then I got to the end. Wow. How does that even...

9. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

I knew the new PPG was no good. I knew it.

10. Meerkat

11. I loved the first season of Sleepy Hollow but dropped it after the second. Seemed like the network was getting more involved and wanted less serialization and more stand-alone/monster-of-the-week episodes. Reading that article and what happened is stunning to me. Her and the actor who plays Crane's chemistry was the absolute bedrock to that show. She was great. Safe to say I'd be out now if I were still watching.

12. Meerkat

I've never seen the show, so I only know what I know about it from comments and articles I've read. But it looks like despite being a co-lead, her character was pushed to the backseat and that stuff was going on behind the scenes that made her want to leave the show. A frustrating situation all around and definitely frustrating for fans.

13. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I remember loving the first season and her character was crucial to the mythology they were building, never picked up the second season but this seems so weird that they could push her to the background when her character was so important.

14. carina

yr royal highness

Kat Graham is apparently leaving TVD for good also. What a progressive (: time it is (: to be a POC, a woman, or queer on television (: Especially if you're 2/3! (:

15. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

16. Meerkat

Television this year has been particularly exhausting. Tatiana Maslany (the key unproblematic fave) and John and Graeme from Orphan Black also had some fairly troubling things to say in an interview that came out today about Delphine.

Also: I can't find it right now, but there's a graphic that's a triangle. The bottom leg says "woman" the right leg says "LGBT" and the left leg says "WOC". The bottom says "you can only pick two"

17. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

First trailer for Doctor Strange is out, completely forgot that they cast Tilda Swinton as The Ancient One, who is traditionally Tibetan. I love Tilda Swinton but I'm bummed by the white washing, especially since I can't think of a strong Asian character in the MCU off the top of my head.

18. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

19. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Ughh... I want another Raid movie where they just beat up white dudes.

AndrewSoup and Tim like this.
  20. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I hate that the role was gender-bent, and it's Tilda Swinton who's awesome, and they race-bent Baron Mordo, but I still can't quite be happy because they still white-washed a rare Asian character. Still super hyped for the film because favs can be problematic and whatnot.
    Funny enough, Marvel doesn't struggle as much with using Asians on TV. Agents of SHIELD has Daisy and May, who are both Chinese, and the actress playing traditionally white Elektra is of Cambodian (and French) decent. Of course, that good will was then hurt by them not using an Asian for Iron Fist, which would have stopped it from being, as comics writer Marjorie Liu put it, "an orientalist-white-man-yellow-fever narrative."

21. gosh it was already bad but the Swinton casting is even more super unfortunate now that I've seen footage of her

22. Okay yeah now that I've seen the trailer that Tilda Swinton thing really pisses me off.

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

24. Meerkat

This is why I'm so fucking excited about the new Tegan & Sara song

25. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

uhhhhh malchik gay anyone

absolutely kidding but that song is an absolute guilty pleasure