Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Representation in Art/Entertainment/Media • Page 54

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. what when

Elle's been in a lot of great and often risky films for someone her age; I guess it makes sense--but isn't inexcusable--that she'd take some questionable roles. Her sister was a great child actress, but unfortunately didn't really break out of that imo. but tbh I'm more mad that that film exists than that Dakota's in it. Still not nearly as bad as any of ScarJo's bullshit.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and CarpetElf like this.
  2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

but we can't have a black spiderman

3. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Again, I'm not defending the movie. I've just seen so many posts like "HUH? How does that make sense?!" without people even reading the article. Maybe the racial aspect plays into the story and makes sense. More likely, it's a white person writing a story outside of their world and trying to make it convenient. I genuinely have no idea. I'm just sick of knee jerk outrage on twitter

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Dude, I get it, you hate Twitter, whatever. Maybe you should pay better attention to this "knee jerk outrage" instead defending those poor white Hollywood people from those nasty marginalized demographics.

CarpetElf likes this.
  5. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I should really know better to even respond to this as I’m mentally fucked from another horrible day and going to bed, but I promise you I only call out these “knee jerk” reactions because I truly believe they do more harm than good when it comes to helping some people change their ways. Mindless, uninformed Twitter outrage to headlines that omit part of the story just makes the poster look ignorant. I agree that it’s dumb that this needs to be told through a white lens, but less “CAN YOU BELIEVE THEY’RE DOING THIS? DAKOTA FANNING IS PLAYING A BLACK PERSON!?” And more “is there another way of doing this?” Would be probably be more helpful?

domotime2 likes this.
  6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I'm not gonna quote someone who's not in a good head space for this conversation, but for the sake of anyone else checking out this thread...

I'd be surprised if most people reacting negatively to this are thinking, quote, "She's playing a black person."

It really doesn't matter if this is more like Ghost in the Shell, or more like The Last Samurai. It's still forcing a non-white narrative through a white lens when marginalized demographics often don't get to tell their own stories. (Which, that has been shifting in recent years, but even now, the Crazy Rich Asians sequel is troubled by the white writer making way more than the Asian writer. So, we're still very much so not there.)

Also, for the record, I'm not a fan of performative outrage or dunking on people, but assuming all outrage is performative is ridiculous. Actual people who are actually mad for actually legitimate reasons shouldn't be parodied & written off, just 'cause the best platform they have happens to be one that can also be used dumb. I don't understand why "person on Twitter" isn't worth taking serious, but "person defending white Hollywood decisions" is? If you don't want written off, don't write off first.

jkauf, AndrewSoup, CarpetElf and 3 others like this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Tim likes this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

oh no

AndrewSoup, Tim and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Great that those will be in theaters at the same time which I’m sure must be super rare, big yikes to that happening to her.

12. mad

I was right. Prestigious

more than one black woman directs movies? what?

13. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

lmao good lord

14. mad

I was right. Prestigious

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

16. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

He was fantastic as Aladdin

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

jkauf likes this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Actress With Autism Starring In New TV Show

this is the first time I can think of a character on the spectrum being played by someone on the spectrum , and also as she said showing that women are on the spectrum too

21. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

24. Driving2theBusStation Oct 12, 2021
    (Last edited: Oct 12, 2021)
    Driving2theBusStation

Regular

Not into cape shit so much these days, but after so much time of bi characters in popular media being relegated to villain and antihero roles, the Peter Quill, Valkyrie, Superman and Tim Drake news is kinda neat I gotta admit.