Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Representation in Art/Entertainment/Media • Page 52

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Wait, WHAT?!

Clipboard03.jpg

So love. Much excite. Wow.

Petit nain des Îles and Tim like this.
  2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Yep. Unfortunately, being busy between those two projects kept her from reprising her role as Jubilee in Dark Phoenix (though I imagine it wouldn't have been much more than a cameo).

3. Ah, I haven't seen Apocalypse. I keep forgetting it exists.

4. Tim

You're not missing much. It was bad. And, she's pointlessly written out halfway through the movie when it would've made more sense for her to stick around. If you wanna see her as Jubilee, just watch this silly, fun deleted scene and promo video:

5. Awkwafina is starring in a film premiering at Sundance that was written/directed by an Asian American woman about her own life experience? Why was nobody talking about this until now?

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

7. mad

I was right. Prestigious

-starts slamming fists on table-
    more gay romcoms! more gay romcoms!

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

There's also the Kristen Stewart/ Mackenzie Davis one!
    And I agree, also more poc ones

mad likes this.

9. (at about 4:30) Not exactly the kind of representation I was expecting to hear about, but okay hahaha

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

mercury likes this.
  11. mad

I was right. Prestigious

12. Tim

Posted this in the Dune thread, but also goes in here:

I mostly loved Blade Runner 2049 but remember finding the use of Asian culture as a backdrop for an all white main cast, at best, a bit tone deaf. And now Dune is going in the same direction. But, because this is a gifted filmmaker adapting well-regarded IP w/ a strong cast, most people aren't gonna care.

Liked the aside in this article on Star Wars, too. I never really think about it outside of the whole "sand people" thing, but there's definitely a hole in representation there, too (as much as they've tried to expand in other directions). She'd probably never do it, but a Lexi Alexander Obi-Wan film would help a lot there.

Anyways, I wish some MENA actors could have major roles here instead of in that gosh awful Aladdin remake. But, hey, they have Oscar "Apocalypse" Isaac.

13. xkaylinh Feb 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 14, 2019)
    I've been thinking about Regina King's Globes speech, how she challenged herself and her peers to work on films that employ 50% women. That's great and all, but what can I do as a consumer? Well, this, I guess.

This wasn't intentional, but it's damn well gonna be. Hollywood still thinks representation doesn't matter? Show them otherwise.

DrAlanGrant and awakeohsleeper like this.
  14. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

15. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Anyone written anything on the dynamic of representation at the cost of others in general/representation as military recruitment tool specifically eg in Cpt Marvel?

16. transrebel59

Regular

If you want to see the best action movie of the year, see Furie. All characters are POC and the lead is a WOC.

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

incognitojones, mad and supernovagirl like this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

ChaseTx likes this.
  19. I'm not subbed to her channel but daaaaamn this is huge. Hasan and now this. Asian power levels rising.

[​IMG]

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  20. ChaseTx likes this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

the Asian representation in this is so cool

22. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

23. Awkwafina is in the next Jumanji! Yesss. She been busy. Get all the jobs.

ChaseTx likes this.
  24. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I saw that she's in talks for The Little Mermaid to voice Scuttle so that was disappointing