Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Representation in Art/Entertainment/Media • Page 50

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

incognitojones likes this.
  3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

St. Nate and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  4. cybele, Tim, awwgereee and 2 others like this.
  5. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

it's crazy and sad that every studio but one wanted to whitewash it and didn't see the issue there. To add another fold, I was talking to the girl I've been... talking to about it last night (she's half Korean) and she's still a little irked about it because the character in the book is also half Korean I guess and the actress is Vietnamese so in her words it's "better than a white person, but still not correct"

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  6. mad

I was right. Prestigious

sad how often we have to settle for this

iCarly Rae Jepsen and ChaseTx like this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

With that kind of thing I really don't know, Jenny seemed to approve the casting

ChaseTx likes this.
  8. transrebel59

Regular

Is the movie based on the book really good? It has very good reviews but rom coms aren't my thing.

9. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Wharf Rat likes this.
  10. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

11. This is outside of my lane, but I keep seeing promos for Peppermint on my FB feed and, after finishing Sharp Objects, I wonder, do we need these kinds of portrayals of violent women? I mean, women who are violent in the same way as men. I'm as big a fan of Jennifer Garner kicking ass as anybody, but it just looks like a female version of Taken, whereas the feminine violence in Sharp Objects is so... nuanced, I guess. You don't really see that a lot.

I just have thoughts. I'm still a big fan of Fury Road and things like Atomic Blonde. idk

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

My problem with Peppermint is that it's a white woman exacting revenge on latino people, I don't know about violence in general but definitely not that kind of violence in this current climate

13. Dog with a Blog

They filmed parts of Peppermint right outside my work. I remember walking to work and they had these dummies hung up on the ferris wheel lol. Looks pretty dumb tbh

14. Another thing that comes to mind is maybe this women being the same kind of violent as men is a response to how women are so often the victims of men's violence in our narratives. But again, idk.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  15. Would like some thoughts regarding my previous couple posts; I'd like to know if I'm way off base.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

19. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

If Lexi says he's sincere, then I believe he's sincere. Hopefully this mistake actually leads to the company launching the career of some talented women.

20. Tim likes this.
  21. Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for IMDb for reminding us of the multitudes of Asian American talent in Hollywood today. Oh, how far we've come!
    Clipboard01.jpg

Tim likes this.
  22. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I feel like I’m missing something here.

23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m still not getting what the picture is about. Is it that ScarJo and Emma are in the same screenshot?