Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Representation in Art/Entertainment/Media • Page 49

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

3. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

scarlett johansson is the fucking worst

4. jjnunn118 Jul 4, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 4, 2018)
    jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Honest question. Was Scarlett problematic before the whole Ghost in The Shell thing or has it been only in recent years that almost everything she says or does is questionable?

Cause being honest I've only really been aware of representation and accountability issues the past couple years and I don't think I remember any of her older roles being problematic, but the past couple years she's been on a role.

5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

She had the Oxfam/soda stream controversy before ghost in the shell

6. jjnunn118

Wow that Oxfam situation is BAD and in searching for it I stumbled into her "why wouldn't anyone work with woody" interview and yeah...

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen Jul 5, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 5, 2018)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

It's wild that nobody did a Google image search for a biopic, you'd think that would be number one

I also wish Rupert Sanders had to face any culpability for this and Ghost in the Shell, and cheating on his wife with Kristen Stewart when he was 40 and she was 21, but nah he's a white guy

Not excusing Scarlett but this doesn't happen in a vacuum

mad likes this.
  8. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Oh yeah I also totally forgot when Dylan farrow wrote her letter and named scarlett, scarlett got all upset and was like ~think about us and our Google alerts

9. I love Emma Stone in basically anything I see her in. When she did Aloha, it took me a while before I wanted to see a movie with her in it again. I watched La La Land (not on its own but as part of the Best Picture Showcase) and loved it. She hasn't done anything stupid since Aloha so I guess we're good?

ScarJo hasn't done anything of interest to me after Ghost in the Shell; not only that, she was also in Isle of Dogs, which had its own set of problems. And now this bullshit with the trans role. It's too soon since the last time, it's happening too often. She's losing any good will she had with me from starring in Lost in Translation and Her.

I haven't seen Aloha or GitS or most of those other whitewashing movies and probably never will. I only saw Doctor Strange because it's part of the MCU and I like Benedick Cucumber from Sherlock, but not only were Tilda's role and Strange himself missed opportunities but the movie wasn't even that good, and I probably won't ever watch Iron Fist until Danny Rand is killed off and replaced with an Asian dude (which is never).

cybele and Tim like this.
  10. jjnunn118

I feel like Emma Stone took Aloha as a real learning moment, I remember her giving some good quotes around that time but I can't for the life of me remember any of them

11. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Two things:
    1. What's that about Isle Of Dogs?
    2. That's a really weird thing to wish for in Iron Fist.

12. lol

13. Wes Anderson's 'Isle of Dogs': Is Cultural Appropriation Hollywood's Next Big Battleground?

(Should probably preempt this next bit by saying I'm not ranting at you personally)

They should've cast an Asian for the role of Iron Fist in the first place. Same with Doctor Strange. The only Asians in the MCU movies and Netflix are side characters. At least Shield, which is technically an ensemble, has multiple Asian main characters. But there's still not a single MCU movie or show named after an Asian character. Like, it's taken them what, ten years to get to Captain Marvel? When every major MCU character with an Asian influence is played by a white man, when are we going to get our Black Panther? Despite now being a Disney property, Marvel is seriously lagging in the representation department. So yeah. Kill off Danny Rand.

14. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I'm still hoping for a Shang-Chi movie. They could easily fit him into Iron Fist, but making him a supporting character to Danny Rand would suck. A Master of Kung Fu television series could be cool, but I'd rather see him get the big screen treatment. Would be cool to see him get a good budget, plus then he could have a shot at joining the Avengers (which Luke Cage will probably never get to do now).

And, while I don't know how this would work with the nuances of movie rights, I also wanna see the Amadeus Cho Hulk get a movie.

Not MCU, but hopefully those reports of a Silk movie from Sony are true and actually materialize before too long. (Hopefully before that Morbius movie, which sounded cool until they reportedly cast Jared Leto in the lead role.)

15. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Hmm...

I think it's a tricky thing. People want progress and I agree with that and advocate for it, but not all progress happens at once. I'd love it if things worked that way, but they just don't unfortunately. MCU taking ten years to get to Captain Marvel is saying something, but they're also doing it, which a lot of other companies aren't, so you can either complain that they took so long to do it or be on the side that is glad that they are finally putting in a lot of effort to do things like Black Panther, Captain Marvel, The Wasp, Mantis, Nebula, Gamora, the upcoming Black Widow movie and whatever else they have planned.

As for Iron Fist, I don't really know too much about the character. I did a bit of research and noticed it looks like the main character in the comic was a white male, right? And I'm just clarifying, you want them to kill off the character because he should have been Asian in the first place in the comics or you think they should have cast an Asian in the show? Or both?

Dr. Strange, if you're talking about The Ancient One, I completely agree. There was no reason for her not to be played by an Asian actor. If you're talking about Dr. Strange himself, I guess that's something else.

I'm surprised more people haven't complained about Mandarin in Iron Man 3. Most people complained about the twist, not about the terrible casting choice. Hopefully they'll find some way to have the real Mandarin be out there and be played by an Asian actor. (Some could argue the casting was okay, because he was a fake anyway and thus wouldn't have mattered his race, but I mean that's kind of just cop out)

16. I don't think it's an either or thing. I can be glad with what they're doing and still complain that they're taking so long in other areas.

I'm mostly kidding about killing off Rand, but I feel like him somehow handing over the mantle to an Asian person would sort of correct course.

From what I understand, Doctor Strange and Iron Fist were both originally white men in the comics. They're artifacts of their time and we can't do much about that. I think it would've been really cool if the MCU cast Asians because their characters are so influenced by Asian culture. We can whitewash Asian characters left and right, but God forbid we make a white male character Asian.

I think Iron Man 3 may have come out before the internet culture changed and awareness became more widespread about these issues. It's still kind of messed up, though.

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

18. Dog with a Blog

[​IMG]

mad likes this.
  19. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Exciting but also embarrassing for the Emmys: With her nomination for Killing Eve, Sandra Oh became the first Asian to ever be nominated for a lead actress category.

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

morgantayler likes this.
  21. xkaylinh Jul 16, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 16, 2018)
    Tim likes this.
  22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

23. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Have you read some of the comments? "They should have hired real thieves for Ocean's 8" and "Don't people know what acting is?"

24. mad

I was right. Prestigious