Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Representation in Art/Entertainment/Media • Page 47

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

kind of a random comment but ER is so much more progressive than I ever realized. The only thing going into it that I knew was that it was a long running doctor show with George Clooney. But it consistently blows me away with how it handled different issues in the 90s. HIV, sexuality, race, mental health, abuse, addiction, etc. I just watched the episode Tribes and it's now probably one of my favorite episodes of television. I feel like it does better handling issues than lots of shows today. Just puts things into perspective cause with shows from the 90s/early 00s that have gay panic or racism issues I don't necessarily give them a pass but I try to factor in the time and the cultural climate, but so many shows at that time were actually getting things super right and there were numerous examples of insightful and progressive television so there's like doubly no excuse.

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

5B300969-0E4A-464A-B880-04EC69FD8CAF.jpeg

I've seen this before but was reminded of it when the artist tweeted about it as part of #VisibleWomen (which itself is relevant to this thread). Still so funny (and depressingly true).

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

mad likes this.
  4. Tim

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

not sure if this goes here or accountability, justice for Katherine Heigl

6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I try not to take women being labeled as "difficult" at face value. I remember hearing that Mira Sorvino was difficult a while back and feeling sad cause I love her, and then come to find out years later that there was a smear campaign. Men are always difficult af and continue getting work.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

This isn't what we meant

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  9. Tim

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

What the hell, like he's always been disgusting but wow
    Also thread

11. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Bret has always been a scumbag

12. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

good god I use to be so obsessed with his writing in high school, had no idea he was such a loser until much later unfortunately

13. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

This makes my teeth melt. Especially because Sofia Coppola makes undeniably visually striking films. She has my deep sympathy for having to deal with living under her father's shadow and women-hating bullshit like this.

awwgereee and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

He also says there's no female Hitchcock, when citing Katheryn Bigelow, a master of suspense and thriller cinema, as a female director he likes. What a limp turd.

15. Tim

Love when comics/design Twitter has inclusive creator hashtags trending. The big one right now is #drawingwhileblack.

Shakriel likes this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

mad likes this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

19. torvich82

20. Tim

mad likes this.
  21. Tim

22. Tim

Saw this on Twitter: The Kent Test, inspired by the Bechdel-Wallace Test, for assessing WOC representation.

https://t.co/ZETwOOMmZ7

mad likes this.
  23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I like that people are very mad about this, the entire article should just say yeah

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Literally didn't know she was Argentinian until this week