Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Representation in Art/Entertainment/Media • Page 46

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Why is this such an issue for so many of these big companies? This seems like such a simple thing to not fuck up

2. Davjs

Trusted

In that tweet that Jason shared, it states that they didn't want to "spend the money to do it right". Isn't it less expensive to just hire the correct actors instead of the wrong ones and then adding make up or digital effects to them? Or did I miss something?

Also echo the "Its too simple to not get right" statement above.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  3. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

because there is CLEARLY a shortage of brown people in the world. there just isn't enough of us, guys!
    these big companies would totally hire us if only we weren't so darn hard to find. they're trying their DOGGONE best.

and just in case it isn't totally clear, i am being facetious

Tim likes this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

This would be insanely infuriating even if wasn't based on a true story

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

mad likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Still gotta check Black Lightning out. I haven't watched any CW this season (not even Supergirl, weirdly), but I am curious how that show turned out. Could be really cool.

storm likes this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

it's not something I would ever think about on my own but besides like RJ Mitte and Marlee Matlin most disabled roles are played by able bodied actors

TJ Wells and Contender like this.
  10. Tim

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

12. mad and Tim like this.
  13. There's a Vietnamese-Canadian actress on Black Lightning. As if I didn't already have enough reasons to be stoked for this show.

Kelly Marie Tran, Hong Chau, and now Chantal Thuy. We're taking over the world.

cybele and Tim like this.
  14. (Also how did I forget to mention Grace and Anissa are potentially going to be a poc interracial gay couple this show is everything)

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

16. mad

I was right. Prestigious

17. Tim

Milestone Media put out some cool comics in the 90s, which I've recently started collecting. If you have nostalgia for that era of comics and care about representation, you should try to hunt down some of that material.

The end of Icon #1 ('93), which hopefully you can read:
    69A4A76A-5D73-4B7F-A991-7030FFAA80FF.jpeg

Davjs likes this.
  18. Tim

Also, I hope y'all will mention here any good films by marginalized voices that come out. I recently got Movie Pass and want to go out of my way to hit up a better range of directors/screenwriters (though I'll obviously be somewhat limited by what plays near me).

I could always google stuff, I guess, but I like hearing from people here.

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

21. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Full article here.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  22. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

how does shape of water say that abnormality is something to be feared?

23. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I haven’t seen it as it doesn’t come out in the UK until next week so can’t comment on that aspect. However, I do think it was an interesting perspective and I think encouraging disabled actors, particular for roles where disability is a primary characteristic of the character, is a good thing. Ableism is so often ignored.