Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Representation in Art/Entertainment/Media • Page 40

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

It's still a work in progress but I love that the NBA and the media outlets covering it are getting more women involved. Tonight there is a free agency special on ESPN where 2/4 hosts are women, one of women broke a major trade earlier. In the past couple of years, Doris Burke has really become a mainstay on coverage for ESPN and game commentary as well. Plus, Becky Hammon becoming an assistant coach with the Spurs.

When I started getting into the NBA there were virtually no women involved. They've still have a long way to go but the NBA community still seems to be doing more than any other professional men's league.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and CarpetElf like this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

mad likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

4. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Im.... not sure about that one. I'd understand if someone were playing these sort of roles in a stereotypical or offensive way but I feel like actors typically go out of their way so they play the roll right.

I mean.. I guess there are probably blind actors who could use a job so maybe.....?

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

8. mad

I was right. Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  9. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

the hulk?

10. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Changed the title of the thread a little because I wanted to post this

Kiana likes this.
  11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

12. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Just to FUCKING SCREAM that he is a Coptic Christian which makes him a MENA minority. SOOOOOOO.

I am screaming I'm so happy Fuck yes I literally ran around the room like a child and screamed and did a fist punch in the air like I achieved something. Woooo.

necessary add:

mad, AndrewSoup, clucky and 4 others like this.
  13. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Haven't watched in years but I might have to tune back in now.

inspectorkemp, mad and ugman_2000 like this.
  14. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

not familiar with either of the leads so i'm eager to hear about them

aranea likes this.
  15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I know remakes can be lame and whatnot, but if Disney keeps from whitewashing, movies like this could be great for establishing a wider variety of non-white actors into the mainstream. That alone justifies these remakes existing. Though, I do hope that more roles pop up for people like Mena Massoud beyond Aladdin.

inspectorkemp, aranea, mad and 2 others like this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

17. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I saw that. I wasn't going to post it though because I wanted people to live as long as possible without having that knowledge.

18. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

not a good idea, ignorance is bad. the more uproar about it the better. it shouldn't even be a show.

CarpetElf likes this.
  20. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Ignorant, racist person and a trash website. A Coptic Egyptian is not Arab. Fuck sake.

For the lack of acknowledgement for people like us (MENA minorities) in the first place, and for someone like Massoud to get such a role in such a big movie, and this is what gets posted? From that website?

He purposely misconstrued stats as well to conflate religious tension, and make ignorant White Westerners like yourselves on this forum get mad.

No, I don't care what the point of the article was or whatever else it was saying because of 1. the website 2. the ignorance about the actor and 3. the general ignorance of the author.

CoffeeEyes17, sophos34 and Jose like this.
  21. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

i'd hesitate to support her or al-J as sources here....both are pretty down with al-Q.

22. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

i'm gonna fuckin fight Weiss and Benioff i swear

CarpetElf likes this.
  23. Jason Tate Jul 20, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2017)
    Pretty tough logical fallacy there just attacking the source. If there's more that isn't, I'll gladly read it and share it here too, but the article and debate is going around Twitter from well known and respected people and there's some interesting points made worth sharing/talking about the two films (and story itself) and the issues beyond attacking the source, or author, or who shared it.

24. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

well the same Qatari ruling class that literally funds al-Q owns al-J so i'll see that half out. And if pushing an article from the aforementioned where MENA issues are concerned isn't proof enough a casual glance through her feed will provide plenty

RT'd

Prominent quote in her article about the Syrian Civil War:

RT'd

Or whichever of the wahhabi-sympathizing examples....

25. You know the person that shared the article didn't write it, right? I mean ... did you read it?