Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Representation in Art/Entertainment/Media • Page 39

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Can't wait for the articles that will say "Now we know a female director can make a blockbuster hit"

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  2. St. Nate Jun 5, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 5, 2017)
    St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

This is veeeeeeeey unfortunate as the X-Men properties I feel allow the most opportunity for POC in super hero roles.

Edit: apparently Blu Hunt playing Dani Moonstar is a quarter Native. Obviously her headshot photos show her skin in a different light.... oddly enough sometimes that happens to me. Up find a picture of me and someone photoshopped me to look lighter like... why?

Contender likes this.
  3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I've gotta heavily preface this by acknowledging how inherently problematic it is for a mixed person's racial identity to be defined by others. BUT, picking someone who's only a quarter Native to play someone whose identity is so thoroughly Native feels... weird? Granted, telling a nuanced modern story about cultural identity with a mixed actor could be cool (even though it'd be a partial whitewashing of this particular character's original heritage). Seeing as they completely disregarded Sunspot's blackness, though, even though his Brazilian blackness carries a lot of baggage that informed the character from the very beginning, I'm not too hopeful.

This sucks because Claremont's New Mutants is one of my favorite X-Men-related runs ever (possibly only behind Morrison's New X-Men), and I've been craving a film adaptation of them for years. And, yeah, like you said, the X-Men are the popular comic book property that most organically lends itself to inclusion. This is the same studio, though, that inexplicably made both Storm and Psylocke villains in Apocalypse while also awkwardly writing out Jubilee halfway through the film even though she was previously hanging out with Cyclops, Jean, and Nightcrawler, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Contender and AndrewSoup like this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

at least we'll get number 2 with Crazy Rich Asians

5. St. Nate

Does Better Luck Tomorrow not count?

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

other people mentioned that on Twitter, not sure what their metric is for Hollywood film, regardless it's sad

7. Yeah, I was gonna say, what constitutes a "Hollywood" film? Like, come on, friggin John Cho was in it, Justin Lin directed it. Harold and the guy behind some of the Fast movies not Hollywood enough?

Wasn't Memoirs of a Geisha also Hollywood? I mean, it had its own host of other problems, but yeah.

8. St. Nate

Better Luck Tomorrow is actually the first film in the Fast &a Furious canon.

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Contender likes this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

AndrewSoup likes this.
  13. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I understand what she's getting at but I'm real hung up on "Fake Latinas." I feel like she's talking about something very important with regards to colorism and the struggs of being darker skinned and having certain features in the industry but I'm kinda going nnnnnnnnn @ the term "fake latinas" when it seems like she's describing lighter skinned or thinner latinas and not actual non-latinas playing Latina parts? Idk maybe I'm reading her wrong

14. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

"When you look at latinas that are succeeding in Hollywood, they're super thin and you really can't tell if she is Latina or not."

It sounds like she is mad because the "thinner latinas" are getting more roles than her. Not all latinas look the same so I'd like to know what her ideal vision of a Latina woman is since she can't tell if someone is Latina.

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen and Tim like this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

17. Why is it called The Foreigner? So, Asians are forever foreign in western society?
    Why is the book it's based on called The Chinaman? Didn't the author know he made the main character Vietnamese?
    Why is the main character going after a government official? So, Asians who know kung-fu (i.e. all Asians) are a threat to people in power?
    Why did Jackie Chan think this movie was a good idea to pursue? Did he just want to beat up James Bond in a Taken-esque movie?
    Why is Pierce Brosnan's accent so... not intimidating? Is he the villain, or is Jackie?

Contender likes this.
  18. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

No offense, but it sounds like you're implying all of these except for the title of book not matching the character's nationality.

19. xkaylinh Jun 26, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 26, 2017)
    No offense taken.
    I am admittedly drawing from a two minute trailer, after all.
    And, well, also this:
    Stereotypes of East Asians in the United States - Wikipedia

edit: I know the film takes place in London. Still, I am not taking off my Asian American Studies glasses. I... can't.

20. St. Nate

21. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

St. Nate likes this.
  22. Has anyone seen the Netflix Death Note trailer?

23. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I just watched it. LaKeith Stanfield in black bloc regalia is dope

24. Finally got around to watching it. Where are the Asians? Well, okay, that much was expected. Sadly. Moving on. They made the protagonist white and the antagonist black. But don't they know that Kira is the villain in this story? I don't have enough faith that they'll use this opportunity to make any coherent social commentary.

Representation issues aside, I don't get enough of a sense that this will be a true battle of wits between rival geniuses. Kira's lashing out because he just got his ass whooped. L made an appearance in public.

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen